Home made candi sugar

Reads 14815 • Replies 31 • Started Thursday, August 11, 2005 9:23:57 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Fukito
beers 1064 º places 37 º 21:23 Thu 8/11/2005

Hi everyone!

I´m attemping a belgian dubbel, but i don´t have any candi sugar available in my lhs, is there any way to make candi sugar with everyday ingredients?

I was told that i just needed to caramelize cane sugar to "rock hard" point, at around 170ºC and to maintain that in order to achieve desired colour. Is there any other thing I should take into account aside from the sugar ( i read somewhere that you coul a teaspoon of citric acid too).

Thanks!

JoeMcPhee
beers 12106 º places 543 º 23:44 Thu 8/11/2005

I’ve heard about adding citric acid to speed up the caramelization, but I’ve never tried it that way. I’ve made it just with a 50:50 mix of sugar and water, then cooking it down. Keep a close eye on it once it starts to darken... it goes fast. Once you have the desired colour, just dump it onto some foil, it will cool quickly. You can then peel it off of the foil and add it to the kettle.

Fukito
beers 1064 º places 37 º 06:15 Fri 8/12/2005

Thanks... what kind of foil would you recommend?

Cheers

SaveTheAles
beers 5 º 12:05 Fri 8/12/2005

kujo9
beers 1095 º places 32 º 22:40 Fri 8/12/2005

Originally posted by Fukito

Thanks... what kind of foil would you recommend?

Cheers

Reynolds non stick?????

Mike

kujo9
beers 1095 º places 32 º 22:44 Fri 8/12/2005

Originally posted by SaveTheAles
http://hbd.org/franklin/brewinfo/candi_sugar.html

That’s awesome! Thanks for the link.

Mike

Fukito
beers 1064 º places 37 º 17:31 Sat 8/13/2005

Yep!! nice link indeed...

Cobra
beers 1100 º places 24 º 21:16 Sat 8/13/2005

You do not need to buy, make or even use Candi Sugar when brewing Belgians. Table sugar is perfectly fine to use. To yeast, as long as they can eat it, it’s sugar. Meaning this: sugar is sugar is sugar.
Doesn’t matter from whence it came.

Kevin
beers 2228 º places 58 º 21:21 Sat 8/13/2005

Originally posted by Cobra
You do not need to buy, make or even use Candi Sugar when brewing Belgians. Table sugar is perfectly fine to use. To yeast, as long as they can eat it, it’s sugar. Meaning this: sugar is sugar is sugar.
Doesn’t matter from whence it came.

i don’t have any experience with this, but somehow i think there are going to be those who disagree. it should be fun to see a counter argument though.

SaveTheAles
beers 5 º 23:27 Sat 8/13/2005

Darker candi sugar can contribute caramel flavor and so will the darker homemade candi sugar, depending on the level of caramelization.

Technically speaking, there are different types of sugars (i.e. monosaccharides: glucose, fructose, galactose; disaccharides: maltose, sucrose, lactose; trisaccharide: maltotriose) and yeast metabolize them in different ways when they break them down. This affects fermentation performance. High percentages of certain types of sugars, for example glucose and fructose, can inhibit fermentation to the point of stuck fermentations.

Homebrewerguy
beers 312 º places 21 º 09:34 Sun 8/21/2005

Originally posted by SaveTheAles
http://hbd.org/franklin/brewinfo/candi_sugar.html

Yep, very useful information. Making candi sugar is very similar to making hard tack candy where they use corn syrup. Hmmm.. I wonder what affect it would be to flavor the candi sugar with oils like they do in hard tack.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer