I turned 18 today! What are some recommendations for a beginning beer drinker?

Reads 3409 • Replies 51 • Started Sunday, September 10, 2017 10:25:06 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Marko
admin
beers 17776 º places 866 º 07:16 Sun 9/17/2017

Originally posted by jens109
A local beershop sells Orval from 2014, would that be worth the 5 euros you pay for it?

Orval is a beautiful beer that, due to the yeast used, changes very much over time. I've had Orvals that were fantastic, I've had Orvals that were just very good. :) Can't gauge how good these will be, but I'd actually get one. Just expect something very different... and yet not extreme. :)

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 08:26 Sun 9/17/2017

Try and find a ticket to the Borefts Beer Festival coming up on Friday and Saturday at De Molen in Bodegraven. There will be plenty of us there.

http://brouwerijdemolen.nl/en/borefts-beerfestival/breweries-beers-line-up/

GlasgowTAD
beers 2015 º places 38 º 09:44 Sun 9/17/2017

Struise Pablo Eiscobar. Thatll put some hair on yer chest!

nuplastikk
beers 9842 º places 73 º 02:14 Mon 9/18/2017

stick with the Trappists that you can score at the grocery store for better prices than anywhere else in the world.

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 09:14 Mon 9/18/2017

Originally posted by nuplastikk
stick with the Trappists that you can score at the grocery store for better prices than anywhere else in the world.

He has a point - and La Trappe is actually local, not an import like all the other Trappists.

Otherwise I've been drinking quite a few Dutch beers of late. For good local takes on international styles, you'll probably find Oedipus quite easily. Kees you know & De Molen was already mentioned. Also worth investigating are Maximus and Jopen, and for its dark beers in particular Emelisse.

slowrunner77
beers 19964 º places 499 º 09:20 Mon 9/18/2017

Welcome! Try it all, you'll figure out quick what you like and don't.
Variety is the spice of life. I've definitely got my favorites and go to's, but always have and always will love trying new ones.

jens109
15:38 Mon 9/18/2017

Originally posted by adamnowek
Try and find a ticket to the Borefts Beer Festival coming up on Friday and Saturday at De Molen in Bodegraven. There will be plenty of us there.

This looks really neat! I'll see if I can make it this weekend. And otherwise I'll see you guys at Abdij Bier Festival maybe?

jens109
15:44 Mon 9/18/2017

Originally posted by BeerViking
Originally posted by nuplastikk

He has a point - and La Trappe is actually local, not an import like all the other Trappists.

Otherwise I've been drinking quite a few Dutch beers of late. For good local takes on international styles, you'll probably find Oedipus quite easily. Kees you know & De Molen was already mentioned. Also worth investigating are Maximus and Jopen, and for its dark beers in particular Emelisse.

Jopen is nice indeed. Maximus and Emelisse are noted! I should really look for some beers from De Molen. What's your favorite?

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 06:59 Tue 9/19/2017

Originally posted by BeerViking
Kees you know & De Molen was already mentioned. Also worth investigating are Maximus and Jopen, and for its dark beers in particular Emelisse.

Jopen is nice indeed. Maximus and Emelisse are noted! I should really look for some beers from De Molen. What's your favorite?

I tend to go for the dark ones - Tsarina, Rasputin, Hel & Verdoemenis, etc - but have very much enjoyed several others, eg. Vuur & Vlam.

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 16:38 Wed 9/20/2017

Originally posted by adamnowek

This looks really neat! I'll see if I can make it this weekend. And otherwise I'll see you guys at Abdij Bier Festival maybe?

Shoot me a beermail (it's in the top-right corner) if you end up going on Friday! There's still tickets available directly from the brewery.