identifying beers and breweries written in Cyrillic

Reads 914 • Replies 5 • Started Tuesday, September 4, 2012 10:15:42 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

drpimento
beers 7566 º places 168 º 10:15 Tue 9/4/2012

Hi, I’m in Ukraine for a couple of more weeks and trying to taste and review as many beers as I can. My friend here knows some Russian, but can’t read it all. Is there a way for me to figure out what beer I’m drinking and who brews it? My friend says to photograph and post it. But, first I don’t know where, and I don’t know how long to wait. Any ideas? Thanks!

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 10:18 Tue 9/4/2012

?

Take the photos with your smartphone and upload directly to imgur and paste the links here.

But if you know the Greek alphabet, you can get a good handle on transforming Cyrillic into English alphabet.

http://www.gadling.com/2009/03/30/gadling-teaches-you-to-read-the-cyrillic-alphabet-in-5-minutes/

FatPhil
beers 26178 º places 995 º 12:27 Tue 9/4/2012

barcode app.

Even if you don’t have it - take photos of everything, front and back. We have a good selection of people familiar with Eastern Europe here, and who can read Cyrillic, and we can fill in any gaps you might have later. Just remember to take the photos.

They’re more important than the reviews. You can make up a review of an easter european pale lager from the memories restored by seeing a photo, but you can never recreate a label no matter how detailed your beer review is.

wickedpete
beers 636 º places 5 º 12:39 Tue 9/4/2012

Google Translate will translate text in photos

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 13:08 Tue 9/4/2012

Originally posted by wickedpete
Google Translate will translate text in photos

It’s superb. If you’ve got an Android phone, download Google translate and you can photo the label, then draw over the bits to translate.

Oakes
admin
beers 30699 º places 1135 º 12:59 Wed 9/5/2012

Learn Cyrillic. It’s not rocket science - it’ll take about an hour. I mean, half the letters are the same. If you’re there for a few more weeks, it’s worth the minimal effort it will take to sort out the alphabet.