Lacto starter necessary?

Reads 3802 • Replies 13 • Started Wednesday, June 22, 2016 10:28:42 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

sylvia40
beers 6 º 10:28 Wed 6/22/2016

I have a vial of White Labs lacto and was considering just pitching it in the wort without making a starter for a "fast sour" Berliner. I’ve seen where it may not sour quickly without creating a starter first. What’s the answer? My 2 liter starter flask is already tied up with the secondary ferment Brett so I’m hoping I don’t need another flask for the lacto starter.

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 11:49 Wed 6/22/2016

The one time I threw a lacto smack pack without a starter (and fermented in the low 70s) took 4 months to produce any semblance on tartness. I’d definitely recommend a starter in this case.

CLevar
places 23 º 14:05 Wed 6/22/2016

The WLP lacto is notoriously slow and starts with pretty low cell counts (unless you get really lucky with a fresh culture).

TL:DR- use a starter.

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 15:34 Wed 6/22/2016

I recommend multiple starters. Maybe start with 250ml and slowly step up to 2 liters? I used one omega blend lacto in a 1 liter starter and it was decent, but could have been better at souring after 4 days in the garage in the summer

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 19:28 Wed 6/22/2016

I’ve done several lacto soured beers and had the best results pitching a mango flavored probiotic drink and keeping the wort at 100 degrees F for a couple days before pitching yeast. No starter needed, and the drink only cost about $3.25.

Just be sure to purge the carboy with CO2 and don’t oxygenate. You’ll get a really clean lactic sourness.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 19:53 Wed 6/22/2016

Originally posted by Homer321
I recommend multiple starters. Maybe start with 250ml and slowly step up to 2 liters? I used one omega blend lacto in a 1 liter starter and it was decent, but could have been better at souring after 4 days in the garage in the summer

I’ve had awesome luck with the Omega blend and one starter. Pitched into a 32oz starter day before and then put in the wort after a 15min boil and let sour for 48 hours or so (boil kettle purged with CO2 and covered with plastic wrap and lid). Have even won some awards at competitions using this method!

HornyDevil
08:51 Thu 6/23/2016

This should help: http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Lactobacillus

Also, thanks for breaking the almost month long drought.

CLevar
places 23 º 14:19 Thu 6/23/2016

Originally posted by HornyDevil

I was interested to see how long it would last...

HornyDevil
14:41 Thu 6/23/2016

Originally posted by CLevar
Originally posted by HornyDevil

I was interested to see how long it would last...

It was getting depressing.

sylvia40
beers 6 º 08:36 Tue 6/28/2016

Well...the great experiment is not going well. I was able to hold the lacto at 115 degrees for 30 hours before boiling. But after cooling to about 75 and adding the Brett starter (24 hours) it is showing no life after about 2 days. I realize this is not unusual, but the fact that I bought Wyeast 5112 that was 7 months old is making me nervous. My question is...what if this doesn’t show signs of fermentation after another 4 or 5 days? Do I just toss in a fresh Brett and hope the sour ale isn’t adversely affected by the ridiculous lag time? I’m betting I’ll be dumping this puppy within a week or so.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 10:34 Tue 6/28/2016

Before doing anything, take a gravity.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer