Let’s give the satelites some place-rating love

Reads 4058 • Replies 61 • Started Saturday, January 21, 2017 7:29:11 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Leighton
beers 33748 º places 1204 º 07:13 Tue 1/24/2017

Originally posted by chriso
I don’t think it’s possible to do justice to Norwich on a single day trip. The pubs are quite spread out and many of the best ones are not central. It’s also close to two hours from London on the train - which I think is a bit much for a day trip.

I dunno, Chris - I did a day trip there and took in upwards of 20 places. It was a fairly intense day, and as I was flying solo I only had about a half pint in each place. So, from a beer ticking perspective I could have done a lot more. But as for the places, I think j hit all the big ones. I think my crawl lasted from around 11am until 8pm or so.

Fin
beers 17289 º places 1653 º 07:20 Tue 1/24/2017

Originally posted by BlackHaddock
Norwich City of Ale festival is in May again this year.

<*))))))><

And the CAMRA NWAF is also in Norwich at the end of next month.

FatPhil
beers 26252 º places 998 º 09:25 Tue 1/24/2017

I did have 2 days in Oxford last weekend, managing 17 places on a Sunday, a 10 am London train should permit the same number, if well-enoughed planned as clustering is quite high. Creating a one-day crawl from those 2 days is an excercise I’ve not yet addressed, backlog typing will concretise it - it certainly fits my "satelite-town day trip" idea.

St. Albans is also an easy victim for a raid, that’s one of the closest candidates too. Lots of places with only 1 or 2 reviews there.

Fin
beers 17289 º places 1653 º 02:40 Wed 1/25/2017

Originally posted by FatPhil
I did have 2 days in Oxford last weekend, managing 17 places on a Sunday, a 10 am London train should permit the same number, if well-enoughed planned as clustering is quite high. Creating a one-day crawl from those 2 days is an excercise I’ve not yet addressed, backlog typing will concretise it - it certainly fits my "satelite-town day trip" idea.

St. Albans is also an easy victim for a raid, that’s one of the closest candidates too. Lots of places with only 1 or 2 reviews there.

It was great to meet with you and Anna last week (thanks for the Estonian beers btw) I am really looking forward to seeing your Oxford place ratings when you add them, I suspect that this may prompt Glen and myself to go back and re-rate a few places rather than religiously sticking to our favourites.

jjsint
beers 7753 º places 1335 º 03:27 Wed 1/25/2017

Cool, look forward to it... I’ve rated a couple of places there but not yet ’done’ Oxford.

imdownthepub
beers 26178 º places 2115 º 04:10 Wed 1/25/2017

Originally posted by jjsint

Cool, look forward to it... I’ve rated a couple of places there but not yet ’done’ Oxford.

I can always show you round Oxford, Fin is also close.

imdownthepub
beers 26178 º places 2115 º 04:16 Wed 1/25/2017

There are a number of counties that lack enough ratings to fill up their Regional Favourites list, one or two are quite surprising given their proximity to London and large cities.

Bedfordshire
Dorset
Herefordshire
Isle of Wight
Lancashire
Lincolnshire
Northamptonshire
Northumberland
Rutland
Suffolk
Surrey
Wiltshire

I suppose the biggest surprises here would be Surrey, Lancashire and probably Bedfordshire.

Leighton
beers 33748 º places 1204 º 05:24 Wed 1/25/2017

Would love to do a field trip to Rutland.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 05:53 Wed 1/25/2017

Originally posted by imdownthepub
Bedfordshire.

Bedford itself is a very easy train trip from London. There’s enough for a day there, although it’s not the most exciting beer destination. Like the rest of the county it suffers from a preponderance of Greene King & Wells pubs. That’s also probably, at least in part, responsible for the miserable brewery count - which doesn’t make the county a very attractive proposition for beer hunting.

Luton is a dump, with not much in the way of decent pubs from my limited experience. Dunstable is quite nearby and has a couple of serviceable options although it doesn’t have a train station so it’s a bus ride from Luton.

Leighton Buzzard has a handful of decent places but not enough for a dedicated day trip. For those coming by train it’s sometimes possible to construct a train crawl with stops at places on the way there & back.

Don’t know much about Biggleswade - don’t think I’ve ever been there.

That’s about it for reasonably sizeable towns that are not dormitory satellites or pub-light commuter settlements I think. Some of the nicer pubs are out in the sticks so largely limited to locals or drivers, but (as far as I’m aware) there aren’t any that offer much in the way of an extensive beer range.

jjsint
beers 7753 º places 1335 º 06:41 Wed 1/25/2017

Originally posted by Leighton
Would love to do a field trip to Rutland.

No. No you wouldn’t.