Mikkeller Bar

Reads 4616 • Replies 68 • Started Monday, August 10, 2015 11:15:56 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

beercation
beers 2 º places 4 º 08:35 Thu 9/3/2015

I know as a fact that the rest of bars get their taplist updated daily in the website. I haven’t gotten a message back from Hamilton yet. Also, has anyone been at the Seoul location? I messaged a while back about heading over tgere and no response.

Thanks Theis. I think that’s still the opening taplist. Seems a little bit at the moment that the beer is not so important for the Tokyo bar. There’s some great stuff on, but all the social media posts are about other things.
Tim, where did you read that it was Bourbon BA vanilla shake? I was in ther this evening as I wanted to try the original Vanilla Shake and that’s what was listed. I don’t think I tasted bourbon...

beercation
beers 2 º places 4 º 08:50 Thu 9/3/2015

Originally posted by shoulderbroken
Thanks Theis. I think that’s still the opening taplist. Seems a little bit at the moment that the beer is not so important for the Tokyo bar. There’s some great stuff on, but all the social media posts are about other things.
Tim, where did you read that it was Bourbon BA vanilla shake? I was in ther this evening as I wanted to try the original Vanilla Shake and that’s what was listed. I don’t think I tasted bourbon...

https://www.facebook.com/mikkellertokyo/photos/a.732354556880115.1073741829.627230014059237/821685274613709/?type=1&theater

Posted 22 hours ago. It looks like it was regular vanilla shake. It would be awesome if it was the BA version, probably the most sought after mikkeller beer.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 08:54 Thu 9/3/2015

Opps, I might have made a mistake and just saw the regular Vanilla Shake on the FB page.

willisread
beers 7331 º places 126 º 09:52 Thu 9/3/2015

Theis thanks for the knowledge drop. I had only looked at the Mikkeller Tokyo page and the Bangkok page. TOkyo hasn’t changed since opening day which was almost 2 weeks ago. The Bangkok one I must have checked on consecutive days because it didn’t seem to have changed either. Also when poking around the web I only checked Bangkok and Seoul through Google and on their facebook pages. Didn’t see any taplists so I overgeneralized. Thanks anyway.

Tim I agree to a certain extent with you as well. But they just opened up. Having big beers is something Japanese people haven’t really experienced before so maybe they wanted to make a big impression on customers? I don’t know why. Maybe they didn’t want people staying for 2 or 3 hours going through Running Club or other low ABV pale ales? I really have no idea why. Let’s be honest as well though. A lot of bars in Japan seem to be kind of less than up front about their glass sizes as well: Yorocco and Wiz come to mind for me immediately. Are the prices that crazy? To me Ushi-Tora prices are crazy even Popeye is more expensive than Mikkeller to me it seems. I don’t know. You guys know the scene a lot better than myself so I have to defer to you guys. Having staff who are trained and knowledgeable should be number one. I agree with that as well.

The other thing to keep in mind as well (from what I’ve heard) is that they went this alone with the support of Fuglen. Most foreign brands in general when opening up in Japan franchise their rights away to Japanese companies who claim to understand the Japanese market better. Brewdog is a great example of this. Mikkeller is taking the road much less traveled. Blue Bottle recently took this route as well. Going independent in Japan is a big risk and there will be bumps in the road. Tokyo is not Seoul for one (which is very open to having non-Koreans come in and start up businesses). There might be more going on that we don’t really know about as well.

Anyway, I’m just glad to have Mikkeller brews that Whisk-e isn’t bringing in in a non-smoking environment that is beer-geek friendly. I don’t know, could be a lot worse I guess.

beercation
beers 2 º places 4 º 18:18 Thu 9/3/2015

Ushi-Tora is very expensive for the quality of the beers.

I’m with you Will. Very happy that we have it, and am totally prepared to give them time to sort things out. Felt a bit mean marking the staff down on my place rating, but it seems there have been a few clangers so far. I think the small glasses they use are 200ml if that is any use to anyone. I don’t particularly want to drink much more volume of some of the stronger stuff anyway.
Oh, and one last thing, they had the best spelling mistake so far on the taplist last night. The Raspberry Trippelbock was described as a ’flute beer’. I thought it was kind of metallic, but made a great sound.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 22:16 Thu 9/3/2015

Originally posted by willisread
Theis thanks for the knowledge drop. I had only looked at the Mikkeller Tokyo page and the Bangkok page. TOkyo hasn’t changed since opening day which was almost 2 weeks ago. The Bangkok one I must have checked on consecutive days because it didn’t seem to have changed either. Also when poking around the web I only checked Bangkok and Seoul through Google and on their facebook pages. Didn’t see any taplists so I overgeneralized. Thanks anyway.

Tim I agree to a certain extent with you as well. But they just opened up. Having big beers is something Japanese people haven’t really experienced before so maybe they wanted to make a big impression on customers? I don’t know why. Maybe they didn’t want people staying for 2 or 3 hours going through Running Club or other low ABV pale ales? I really have no idea why. Let’s be honest as well though. A lot of bars in Japan seem to be kind of less than up front about their glass sizes as well: Yorocco and Wiz come to mind for me immediately. Are the prices that crazy? To me Ushi-Tora prices are crazy even Popeye is more expensive than Mikkeller to me it seems. I don’t know. You guys know the scene a lot better than myself so I have to defer to you guys. Having staff who are trained and knowledgeable should be number one. I agree with that as well.

The other thing to keep in mind as well (from what I’ve heard) is that they went this alone with the support of Fuglen. Most foreign brands in general when opening up in Japan franchise their rights away to Japanese companies who claim to understand the Japanese market better. Brewdog is a great example of this. Mikkeller is taking the road much less traveled. Blue Bottle recently took this route as well. Going independent in Japan is a big risk and there will be bumps in the road. Tokyo is not Seoul for one (which is very open to having non-Koreans come in and start up businesses). There might be more going on that we don’t really know about as well.

Anyway, I’m just glad to have Mikkeller brews that Whisk-e isn’t bringing in in a non-smoking environment that is beer-geek friendly. I don’t know, could be a lot worse I guess.

I perhaps was harsh, and I don’t plan to rate the place until I give them a bit of time to sort themselves out. I usually wont rate a bar until its at least 3-6 months old as by that time they should have things figured out.

Whisk-e is still bringing in all the Mikkeller stuff (as far as I know), but obviously the bar is getting a special allocation.

Tim

willisread
beers 7331 º places 126 º 10:06 Fri 9/11/2015

Hey guys. Looks like the Mikkeller tap list is up-to-date and available now on the website. Seems like things are coming together after a few weeks.

http://www.mikkeller.jp/

Will

biirusaikou
beers 2704 º places 329 º 20:15 Fri 9/11/2015

Yep I stopped by yesterday, they seemed to take early feedback into consideration.
They have a wider range of sessionable beers now, as unsurprisingly pale ales are by far the most popular.
They now serve pickles and charcuterie and are planning catering on weekends.
Also the tap list was a bit more accurate and detailed than before.
I still can’t get over the fact that some of the staff is pretty clueless about beer, but it seems they want to focus on friendly rather than geeky service.