Most Difficult Countries to Drink

Reads 6461 • Replies 105 • Started Sunday, June 23, 2013 7:17:45 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 13:16 Tue 6/25/2013

omhper is clearly the one to discuss the country delineations with.

It seems that breakaway states like South Ossetia are listed if other sovereign nations recognize them as sovereign. No UN recognition is used.

For Wales/Scotland within the UK and also Aruba/Curacao within Netherlands, it is actually true that these are individuals "countries" within a larger network of a kingdom in this case. So having this list as countries, not UN recognized sovereign nations, is technically correct.

Looks like autonomous areas of countries that are not hostile breakaways are not counted as separate countries such as Canary Islands or the Azores or the Aland Islands.

Regardless, it seems to be overly complicated and out of the scope of this website to use anything but the UN recognized sovereign nations, but that is my opinion.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 14:17 Tue 6/25/2013

There are 193 member states of the UN + The Holy See and Palestine. There are also 12 territories that have their own national olympic committees:

American Samoa
Taiwan
Palestine
Guam
Puerto Rico
US Virgin Islands
Bermuda
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Aruba
Hong Kong
Cook Islands

There are also 7 disputed nations:

Abkhazia
Taiwan
Kosovo
Northern Cyprus
Palestine
Sahrawi Arab DR
South Ossetia

Add to this the UK:

England
Scotland
Wales
Northern Ireland

+ dependencies

Jersey
Isle of Man
Guernesey

+ dependencies of Denmark, Netherlands, etc... and things get even more complicated.

altonbrownd
beers 5922 º places 341 º 14:41 Tue 6/25/2013

You have rated 110 of 209 countries. You have 99 countries left.
This puts you at #28 on Ratebeer.
The most difficult country you have rated is Réunion.
The easiest country you have not rated is Romania.

Less than one hundred to go !!

altonbrownd
beers 5922 º places 341 º 14:43 Tue 6/25/2013

Oh, and my Welsh beer? Bought as "Marks & Spencer Welsh Honey Bitter" in London.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 15:07 Tue 6/25/2013

You have rated 70 of 209 countries. You have 139 countries left.
This puts you at #185 on Ratebeer.
The most difficult country you have rated is St Vincent & The Grenadines.
The easiest country you have not rated is Slovak Republic.

teddybeer
beers 5767 º places 208 º 15:30 Tue 6/25/2013

Originally posted by garthicus
Jaysus, I’ve never rated a Spanish beer???

E-mail me if you are really interested in tasting some Spanish craft beers

Originally posted by drowland
You have rated 70 of 209 countries. You have 139 countries left.
This puts you at #185 on Ratebeer.
The most difficult country you have rated is St Vincent & The Grenadines.
The easiest country you have not rated is Slovak Republic.
Another Sergios special:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/zlaty-bazant-12-golden-pheasant/2549/79318/

Elwood
beers 3347 º places 108 º 05:44 Wed 6/26/2013

I’m about to load up on some crappy pale lagers and start ticking some countries!

sthlm
beers 790 º places 147 º 06:10 Wed 6/26/2013

Originally posted by GT2
Regardless, it seems to be overly complicated and out of the scope of this website to use anything but the UN recognized sovereign nations, but that is my opinion.

Personally, I wholeheartedly agree with you. However, people who travel more than I do have insisted that the country decisions reflect what is best for travelers. I still don’t entirely understand the rationale behind it, but I do know at least a few admins have put a good deal of time and thought into it.

omhper
beers 40405 º places 332 º 07:49 Wed 6/26/2013

Originally posted by humlelala
Interesting list that brings to mind a question about the consistency in naming countries on RateBeer.

For example, Mayotte is a French overseas department in the same way that the Canary Islands are an autonomous community of Spain. However, Mayotte is listed as a country on RateBeer whereas the Canary Islands are not.

In my perspective that’s a pity as Tenerife actually has a BrewPub and I’d be hard pressed to believe that is the case for Mayotte.

Islands/island Groups may warrant a separate entry, depending on
- how far they are geographically separated from the mother country.
- political status.
- relevance in terms of beer scene (places with miniscule beer scene may be omitted even if other criteria are fulfilled).

Canary Islands, Azores and Åland Islands are examples of such island groups that has been up for discussion, but fell just short of the list.

Also areas with semi permanent disputed status are included, this includes areas such as Kosovo, Taiwan, Palestine and Abkhazia.