No bottled beers from South Dakota?

Reads 1981 • Replies 21 • Started Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:42:57 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 00:42 Sun 7/26/2009

My girlfriend is in Wall, SD heading to Yellowstone. I thought I could get a couple ticks off some states by having her pick me up beers from South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho etc.

I called what seems to be the best place in Rapid city and they said that they werent aware of any beers bottled in South Dakota, is this true? Will I actually have to drive to SD to get it off my list?

DYCSoccer17
beers 3746 º places 344 º 00:44 Sun 7/26/2009

dunno about South Dakota, but Idaho has Grand Teton, which is pretty available (and decent).

HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 00:50 Sun 7/26/2009

Originally posted by DYCSoccer17
dunno about South Dakota, but Idaho has Grand Teton, which is pretty available (and decent).

Yeah, i was hoping shed find some laughing dog or grand teton there.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 01:00 Sun 7/26/2009

There is a winery that makes meads and ciders:

http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/prairie-berry-winery/10255/

They bottle. That is your best bet if you’re looking to tick off SD.

Drake
admin
beers 21771 º places 1252 º 01:04 Sun 7/26/2009

Originally posted by HonkeyBra
My girlfriend is in Wall, SD heading to Yellowstone. I thought I could get a couple ticks off some states by having her pick me up beers from South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho etc.

I called what seems to be the best place in Rapid city and they said that they werent aware of any beers bottled in South Dakota, is this true? Will I actually have to drive to SD to get it off my list?

Well it’s not beer, but Prairie Berry Winery ships mead to Illinois.

http://www.prairieberry.com/

Looks like you can currently order the Raspberry Honeywine, which is already in the DB.

Drake
admin
beers 21771 º places 1252 º 01:05 Sun 7/26/2009

Originally posted by dkachur
Originally posted by HonkeyBra

Well it’s not beer, but Prairie Berry Winery ships mead to Illinois.

http://www.prairieberry.com/

Looks like you can currently order the Raspberry Honeywine, which is already in the DB.

Cletus beat me to it.

They have a four bottle minimum. Oh well... good trade fodder.

heemer77
beers 5783 º places 232 º 02:13 Sun 7/26/2009

I went to a brewpub in Yankton, SD back in March. I asked and was told there was no bottled micro beer from SD.

jodan23
03:40 Sun 7/26/2009

There are brewpubs in Rapid City and Spearfish. I believe they both sell growlers. Might be your best shot.

redlem
beers 1308 º places 77 º 08:01 Sun 7/26/2009

OK there is a restaurant in Custer,SD (Dark Horse) that brewed one beer of their own and I cant remember if they bottled it. I suspect they dont but you could call to confirm, hell I dont even know if they are still open.

She will also see some Yellowstone Brewery beers but those are from MT not WY.

Growlers are your best bet but again call ahead as I know Firehouse selection can be spotty and they might not want to fill a growler up or if they even sell them.

HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 17:16 Sun 7/26/2009

Thanks for the info on the brew pubs guys, but a growler would be out of the question unless she picks it up on the way back.

Guerde
beers 1297 º places 9 º 17:23 Sun 7/26/2009

This winery makes a mead and it appears as if they sell their products to a lot of retail outlets around the state. I don’t know of any bottled SD beers though.