Odd Styles and Unusual Ingredients

Reads 474 • Replies 7 • Started Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:03:02 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CLevar
places 23 º 13:03 Tue 9/4/2012

In keeping with the theme of the last few posts, I have a bunch of organic dried mango (no sulfur, oils, etc) that is looking for a home in a beer.

I was thinking of doing a berliner, but instead of pitching onto the cake that I have had going for the last year or so, I thought that it might be fun to experiment with closer to a 100% lacto fermentation. For this, my thought was to build up a huge lacto starter, and a small brett b starter. I would then pitch at something in the 10:1, or perhaps even 50:1, ratio. Ferment HOT, and add mango either in the secondary or on the lees as soon as it seems that that the majority of fermentation has finished.

SO, for a 5 gal batch:

3.5 lbs Pilsner
3.5lbs White wheat
.5lbs torrified wheat
Rice hulls

Mash hop with 1 oz of something fairly neutral.

Hold at ~180 for 15 min to pasturize (or perhaps just boil for 10 min or so??)

Cool to ~80. Pitch Lacto and Brett b.

Input/critique welcome. Never really messed with higher lacto pitches, so if anyone has ideas regarding cell count, etc. please pass them along.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 13:08 Tue 9/4/2012

Just so you know, you won’t get much if any alcohol. Lacto doesn’t ferment into ETOH. You’d probably be better off doing a split, 2.5g of each.

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 13:10 Tue 9/4/2012

Lactic, being bacteria, won’t give you any alcohol, and the Brett will do it very slowly. Probably best using a Weissbier yeast for primary then pitching the bugs onto that?

Although I’ve never done one so what do I know?!?

CLevar
places 23 º 13:11 Tue 9/4/2012

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Just so you know, you won’t get much if any alcohol. Lacto doesn’t ferment into ETOH. You’d probably be better off doing a split, 2.5g of each.

Well, Berliners don’t have much EtOH to begin with....if I wanted to make something to get buzzed quick on, I would make some random garbage "American Strong Ale"

CLevar
places 23 º 13:16 Tue 9/4/2012

Originally posted by Gazza
Lactic, being bacteria, won’t give you any alcohol, and the Brett will do it very slowly. Probably best using a Weissbier yeast for primary then pitching the bugs onto that?

Pretty sure some heterofermentive lactos can produce alcohols....though not sure if EtOH is one of them

CLevar
places 23 º 13:20 Tue 9/4/2012

Originally posted by CLevar

Pretty sure some heterofermentive lactos can produce alcohols....though not sure if EtOH is one of them

Google FTW!

L. brevis is what I should use, as it produces EtOH as well as lactic acid, some acetate, and CO2

HornyDevil
13:45 Tue 9/4/2012

Google FTW!

L. brevis is what I should use, as it produces EtOH as well as lactic acid, some acetate, and CO2

Funny enough, I was just reading about this very subject today

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/06/100-lactobacillus-berliner-weisse.html

CLevar
places 23 º 14:04 Tue 9/4/2012

Originally posted by HornyDevil

Google FTW!

Funny enough, I was just reading about this very subject today

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/06/100-lactobacillus-berliner-weisse.html

Reading through the comments, Mike says that the wyeast lacto still has some sach in it. Going to try to track down a pure culture.

EDIT: Should say "WLP lacto" not "wyeast lacto". I suck.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer