Portland, OR trip

Reads 13110 • Replies 49 • Started Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:28:32 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Westmeister
beers 2127 º places 64 º 11:08 Tue 1/17/2012

Originally posted by 3fourths
also, the pork rind doughnut

Holy shit. That actually looks amazing.

Westmeister
beers 2127 º places 64 º 18:52 Tue 1/24/2012

Post trip quick synopsis. First, Portland was absolutely amazing in both beer, city and Mt. Hood skiing. I would have to put my stops in this quickly thought out order. And that is not to say that there is much seperating first and last.

Cascade - amazing beer and amazing list of sours readily available. This stop personally sold me on the highly expensive venture into sour/wild ales.

Upright - lucked up and came during the Fantasia release. scored a couple of bottles and tried a boat load of other fanatastic brews

APEX - first Pliney ever, first 120, first Blind Pig, nuff said

Hair of the Dog - amazing food, great flight of personally highly sought after beers

Belmont Station - Spent $150 bucks on amazing stuff to bring back to Georgia.

Bailey’s - very randomn but well thought out tap list. Small but cozy and loved the keg board with the graphic keg levels

Rouge - although didn’t really go expecting much, they had sooo many beers on tap and tried a hell of a lot of tastings. plus, the awesome bartender hooked me up with like 4 free tastings.

Deschutes - good food, good beer, but nothing special for purchase or on draft

Bridgeport - Good food and directly across from where I was staying. I have had most of the beers before and I was hammered when sampling, but still had a damn good time.

All in all, this is a must come destination for any level of beer drinker. Those who live in Portland should feel very lucky to live in such a beercentric city. Can’t wait to get back. Cheers!

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 01:02 Wed 1/25/2012

Originally posted by Westmeister
Cascade - amazing beer and amazing list of sours readily available. This stop personally sold me on the highly expensive venture into sour/wild ales.
Expensive as in the place is expensive or they’re expensive to brew? (Both I suppose.)

Rouge - although didn’t really go expecting much, they had sooo many beers on tap and tried a hell of a lot of tastings. plus, the awesome bartender hooked me up with like 4 free tastings.
Say what some will about the relabeling and what-not, Rogue people are top-notch.

Bridgeport - Good food and directly across from where I was staying. I have had most of the beers before and I was hammered when sampling, but still had a damn good time.

I still say there’s something unnatural about having a Deschutes brewpub outside of Bend. May, may possibly give it a try on our upcoming visit. Especially if there’s good casked beer on like the original Bachelor Bitter.

Pity you couldn’t experience the old, original Bridgeport, or at least the way it was before it turned into the massive Yuppirama.

Where did you stay?

All in all, this is a must come destination for any level of beer drinker. Those who live in Portland should feel very lucky to live in such a beercentric city. Can’t wait to get back. Cheers!

No better place in the US.

cgarvieuk
beers 37680 º places 457 º 03:59 Wed 1/25/2012

I am going out to visit a buddy in a couple of weeks to ski. I will have a full day and a couple of nights to hit up as many places as possible. He lives directly across from Bridgeport. I did go and look at all the places listed on RB, but wanted to get some local feedback and any insight that can be provided. What are the must visit breweries, bars and bottle shops? Thanks in advance.

So Portland or WHERE?

Westmeister
beers 2127 º places 64 º 04:33 Wed 1/25/2012

Cascade specifically very reasonably priced. I was speaking more specifically on the genre of sours. I just got into the style recently and did not realize the price gap in comparison to other styles. Probably purchased $100 worth in about 7 bottles to bring home. Not complaining - quite excited.

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Expensive as in the place is expensive or they’re expensive to brew? (Both I suppose.)

Say what some will about the relabeling and what-not, Rogue people are top-notch.

I still say there’s something unnatural about having a Deschutes brewpub outside of Bend. May, may possibly give it a try on our upcoming visit. Especially if there’s good casked beer on like the original Bachelor Bitter.

Pity you couldn’t experience the old, original Bridgeport, or at least the way it was before it turned into the massive Yuppirama.

Where did you stay?

No better place in the US.

Westmeister
beers 2127 º places 64 º 04:37 Wed 1/25/2012

I actually stayed in the city center at my buddy’s place which was directly across from Bridgeport. Perfect location to everything listed.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 01:07 Thu 1/26/2012

I actually stayed in the city center at my buddy’s place which was directly across from Bridgeport. Perfect location to everything listed.

Was it in one of the new high-rise places (well, new in the last decade anyway), in a cool old place, or...?

I’m looking at 9 or 10 nights over Easter. Need to decide on what part of town we want to stay in and then narrow down a vacation apartment.

Westmeister
beers 2127 º places 64 º 04:09 Thu 1/26/2012

The building was called Asa. 15 stories, beautiful and looked to be very new. Public transportation is so good in Portland that anywhere you stay is only 15 minute from where you want to go. I would recommend renting/borrowing a bike, though. Extremely bike friendly city and you can see more of it quicker. Biked over Belmont station while there on about 15 minutes. Certainly do not need a car unless you are going up to the mountain.

kbutler1
beers 1383 º places 107 º 06:25 Thu 1/26/2012

I’m currently in Portland. Hit Belmont yesterday, awesome you can drink a beer while checking out beers. I asked the dude working for suggestions and he was super helpful. Great place. From there I found my way to HoTD, again, bartender was super cool and the beer was awesome. Going to hit a few more places over the next couple of days.