Possible IP Trade and BC Help

Reads 1433 • Replies 12 • Started Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:07:31 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 10:07 Tue 11/24/2015

Hello

Its very very likely that I will be in Vancouver the weekend of January 9/10 or somewhere there about. I have a ticket booked from Calgary-Van-Tokyo on Jan 10th, but I’ve talked to my parents and we have decided, as long as the snow is good we are going to do a BC ski trip from January 3-8 and eventually hit Vancouver for a couple days (and I will forgo the Calgary-Van portion of the air ticket). I will be visiting lots of friends so won’t have time to beer hunt, so I figured a small IP trade might be an effective way to get some top BC stuff (I will be coming from Calgary so my suitcase will already be pretty full, so not looking to go to extreme with number of bottles)

1. If someone is interested in Japanese beers, say 3 beer, maybe 4. I could bring that over for a trade. I am only after top BC beers that you cannot access in Alberta. I leave Japan on December 19th, so I just want to make sure I have the trade settled before then. One beer in the trade would definitely be http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/ajb--imperiality/364800/

2. I’ve looked into Places pretty thoroughly in Interior BC and nothing seems that exciting - though given the lack of ratings for places, it is hard to really judge properly. We are going to take one of two routes - either HWY #1, or down through Kimberly/Fernie/Nelson and up through Okanagan Valley to Kelowna. We definitely will spend a day or two in Okanagan as there are relatives that I should visit. If anyone has any strong suggestions I am all ears.

Tim

Oakes
admin
beers 30719 º places 1135 º 15:23 Tue 11/24/2015

No great bars in the interior, but of course some new brewpubs most people haven’t been to, like BNA and Bad Tattoo. If you take Hwy 3, the Torchlight beers are pretty good and those don’t make it to either Vancouver or Calgary.

I’ll actually be in Van on those days, but doubtful about having access to anything you can’t just buy at Legacy or Brewery Creek, other than maybe some Persephone stuff. I’m more likely to have Australian beers. But I’m down for a pint if you have the time.

mcberko
admin
beers 42066 º places 3124 º 16:12 Tue 11/24/2015

Sent you a PM.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 18:08 Tue 11/24/2015

Originally posted by Oakes
No great bars in the interior, but of course some new brewpubs most people haven’t been to, like BNA and Bad Tattoo. If you take Hwy 3, the Torchlight beers are pretty good and those don’t make it to either Vancouver or Calgary.

I’ll actually be in Van on those days, but doubtful about having access to anything you can’t just buy at Legacy or Brewery Creek, other than maybe some Persephone stuff. I’m more likely to have Australian beers. But I’m down for a pint if you have the time.

Thanks Josh, if we go through Nelson (which is my strong preference to take that route, as I really want to hit the hills down there) then I will hit up Torchlight. Also noted about Bad Tattoo and BNA, as regardless of which route, I think I can hit both places as we should go through both Kelowna and Penticton and hopefully get a place review in.

It would be good to meet up for a beer or two, but probably wont know the schedule until closer to the date. Essentially the crappier the snow conditions the earlier we will arrive in Vancouver. I am a snow snob and have no interest to pay money for crappy powder.

I haven’t been in Van for 9 years, and definitely will hit Alibi Room, and would love to stop at some of the new top rated breweries, but not sure if I will have time.

Tim

fiulijn
beers 28373 º places 745 º 04:13 Wed 11/25/2015

If you are interested in Ice Ciders, there are a couple of places in Cawston, one also has nice fruit wines, they are on the map (not far from Osoyoos; Forbidden Fruit and Rustic Roots), then up in the Okanagan there is Elephant Island, not my favorite though. And in Kelowna a recent discovery, Double Cross, excellent ones.

You can find some of them in Vancouver too, but less fun ;-)

I hope we will have time to share a beer

Ferris
beers 23108 º places 1878 º 12:44 Wed 11/25/2015

Hey Tim,

I am now in Vancouver, so if you have time to grab a quick drink let me know. It would be nice to catch up. I can also hook you up with some of the top rated BC beers if you like (namely 4 winds big bottle series).

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 17:34 Thu 12/31/2015

Just bumping this thread. I’ve finalized my schedule and will drive to Van on the morning of the 7th. Staying out in Richmond at a family friend’s house, so I think we will stop at Four Winds on the way in as it doesn’t seem that that much out of the way if we are going to Richmond. I would guess we will hit Four Winds around 1pm and then arrive in Richmond around 3pm.

Would people be up for meeting for a few beverages? I am guessing the place to go is Alibi Room, but open to a mini crawl as there seems to be some other worthy places downtown now.

As of this moment, I am tied up
8th from 11am to 2pm
9th late afternoon and maybe into the early evening (like 6-7pm)

Tim

Oakes
admin
beers 30719 º places 1135 º 18:54 Thu 12/31/2015

I could definitely be down for this.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 01:48 Fri 1/1/2016

Probably Friday 8th is going to work well. I should be free from about 2pm onwards but I know people are working. I don’t really know a good plan, any places have particularly good happy hours? What time do people usually get off work?

Would 6pm at Alibi work? If they take reservations I could call ahead.

I will let others take the lead from Alibi, as that is the only place I really really want to hit.

Tim

Oakes
admin
beers 30719 º places 1135 º 17:37 Sat 1/2/2016

I am free whenever on Friday, sometime late afternoon on Thursday.

Happy hours don’t work well for ticking because you never get sample trays, but Big Rock Urban has a fairly good one. Steel Toad’s is five bucks for beer, so better than average, though if you go with me you get happy hour prices all the time.

I don’t think tap rooms have happy hour, and I’m not sure what happy hours might exist at the more serious beer bars, either. Lesser joints like Lamplighter or Blackbird have happy hour, but less compelling beer lists.

Just shout a time and I’ll make sure to get out. We are thinking about getting to Japan this year, so I have to pick your brain a bit about that.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 19:52 Sat 1/2/2016

Originally posted by Oakes
I am free whenever on Friday, sometime late afternoon on Thursday.

Happy hours don’t work well for ticking because you never get sample trays, but Big Rock Urban has a fairly good one. Steel Toad’s is five bucks for beer, so better than average, though if you go with me you get happy hour prices all the time.

I don’t think tap rooms have happy hour, and I’m not sure what happy hours might exist at the more serious beer bars, either. Lesser joints like Lamplighter or Blackbird have happy hour, but less compelling beer lists.

Just shout a time and I’ll make sure to get out. We are thinking about getting to Japan this year, so I have to pick your brain a bit about that.

Ok, my schedule has changed. Friday is not good (though if 100% necessary I can make time from 330-530, but prefer not to) . Sat I am now free until 7pm, with no plans before. I’ve been talking to ferris and I was think maybe starting at Alibi Room around 4pm, but he suggests a longer time and hit a few places. I don’t have any plans prior on Sat so this could work. Josh are you free for an earlier start, like maybe 2 or 3pm on Sat? Also on Thursday what time would you be free from and until? Avoiding something on Friday is highly preferable now (though as mentioned I could squeeze a couple hours in mid-day if necessary - between meeting two groups of my friends supposed to go for a walk with a family friend whom I’ve never met)

Tim