refugees from Beer Advocate

Reads 9730 • Replies 167 • Started Thursday, March 23, 2017 4:44:44 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

malvrich
beers 930 º places 5 º 09:21 Fri 3/24/2017

Originally posted by BlackHaddock
I left AB a few years ago too. Met some decent guys on there to be honest, both on forums and in person. I had some issues with the Bros and kept getting little bans and threatened with having my membership and reviews erased. Just got fed up with it all. Took me a while to transfer 1500 beers and a load of places here, but glad I did.

<*))))))><

I had a very similar experience and terminated my account too.
Fuck em, good riddance.

muzzlehatch
beers 4975 º places 327 º 10:20 Fri 3/24/2017

BeerAdvocate kicked my dog and stole my cheese!

Berbatov
beers 30 º places 6 º 10:28 Fri 3/24/2017

BA goes through phases with its members.
Its usually toxic though, the bros are kinda slow and their database is kinda shit.

BlackHaddock
beers 15453 º places 1053 º 10:40 Fri 3/24/2017

Not going to ’Bad Mouth’ BA, it is what it is, we fell out, end of.

<*))))))><

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 12:22 Fri 3/24/2017

Originally posted by Berbatov
BA goes through phases with its members.
Its usually toxic though, the bros are kinda slow and their database is kinda shit.

Pretty much. Every couple years theres a mass exodus.

stevoj
beers 16107 º places 1243 º 12:50 Fri 3/24/2017

I defected back in 2012. I was living in Europe and their "English only" policy meant many Europeans couldn’t rate there. I was constantly adding every beer I was drinking. A chance meeting with Bierkrug at Wasana’s and he got me going on RB. Dual posted for a while, but the deletion of the Beer Karma rating made me lose all interest. Met my current Boise crew through RB as well.

dogfish120love
beers 1339 º places 18 º 13:19 Fri 3/24/2017

I’ve never liked the layout of BA, tend to be a loyal person and found RB first. The only thing I use BA is for the local New England forum which is much better than our New England forum

muzzlehatch
beers 4975 º places 327 º 14:08 Fri 3/24/2017

Originally posted by dogfish120love
I’ve never liked the layout of BA, tend to be a loyal person and found RB first. The only thing I use BA is for the local New England forum which is much better than our New England forum

Yeah the New England stuff was somewhat useful to me when I lived in that area, and perhaps if I was back to posting (and traveling, and drinking) the way I was 11-12 years ago I’d still have some use for the site. But the few glances I’ve taken at it in the last several months haven’t made me want to go back.

HornyDevil
14:36 Fri 3/24/2017

Originally posted by SilkTork
I’ve been barred from both sites.

Nice to hear from a brother in arms.

As a victim of "The Night of the Long Knives" in 2009, I’ve got to say the the moderation is certainly out of control over there.

Problem with RB as compared to BA? IMO, it’s the activity level. ESPECIALLY in the homebrew forum, which is the only place that I really like to hang out.

With the rise in 1st quality Facebook homebrewing groups, now I have very little use for either. Kinda sucks, really. Would be great if we could have the open conversations and level of excitement about learning about beer that we had online in the early to mid 2000s. Now it seems to be mostly about trading rarez and whalez, brah, instead of actually learning the basics about beer.

Now get the fuck off of my lawn!

Bulk_Carrier
beers 6064 º places 419 º 15:32 Fri 3/24/2017

Originally posted by muzzlehatch
Originally posted by dogfish120love

Yeah the New England stuff was somewhat useful to me when I lived in that area, and perhaps if I was back to posting (and traveling, and drinking) the way I was 11-12 years ago I’d still have some use for the site. But the few glances I’ve taken at it in the last several months haven’t made me want to go back.

I see the path you left in Vermont. I thank you because once I moved to Vermont, it did help me and honestly it really has helped me get around in this state. Tried to pick up where you left off and add to it in Vermont.

Oh and BTW, damn it all to hell that they stole a former Vermonter’s cheese who found his way into Wisconsin. Really?, the 2 biggest cheese states in the nation and they stole your cheese and kicked yo dog? Dafaq!