Smoked malt

Reads 1434 • Replies 3 • Started Friday, March 18, 2016 4:44:56 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

KimJohansen
beers 10557 º places 13 º 04:44 Fri 3/18/2016

Hi,

Usually I use a 50/50 mix of Weyermann Rauch and BestMalz Rauch i my smoked lagers. The BestMalz has the intensity the Weyermann lacks. But the Weyermann contributes with a nice subtle ham/bacon flavor. I end up with a flavor result in between Fresh Schlenkerla and Spezial. Which I’m quite happy with.

Last batch though, I got a fresh 25kg bag from BestMalz and the smoke was extreme. Closer to peated malt rather than beech wood smoked.

Would any of you have an idea on how long I would have to store the malt before it mellows down a bit? My experience is that smoked malts loose their aromatics quite fast.

Thanks

/Kim

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 11:05 Fri 3/18/2016

No idea to your question, but I’d split the malt in half and make two batches, one now and one in a few months. Then compare and see which one I would like better.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 16:55 Fri 3/18/2016

I would just use a lower percentage of the extreme batch.

KimJohansen
beers 10557 º places 13 º 15:55 Tue 3/22/2016

Discovered today that the malt indeed was peated malt. BestMalz carry two types of smoked malts and I somehow got the wrong one.

BEST Smoked 3 - 8
BEST Smoked gives beer a typical smoky flavor similar to that in smoked ham. The quantity used will influence the intensity of the of the beech wood or whisky flavor. This malt can not only be used for beer, but also for distillate production. It has high enzymatic activity.

BEST Peated 3 - 8
BEST Peated is smoked over a peat fire using the best available peat. The smoke imparts a strong smoky, phenolic flavor which is reflected in the malt aroma. Brewers can use up to 100% in the grain bill. Depending on the composition and intensity in the grain bill this malt will generate flavors from light to intense peat and earthy tastes. Great not only for beers but also for distillates.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer