Table sugar for a starter???

Reads 5286 • Replies 20 • Started Friday, March 18, 2011 2:01:41 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Bilk
beers 16 º places 3 º 14:01 Fri 3/18/2011

Yea or nay? Just boil up a simple sugar solution of ~1.040 gravity.

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 14:19 Fri 3/18/2011

Nay. Beer yeast is designed to ferment maltose, not sucrose. It can and will live on it, but it won’t be optimum; and the starter made from table sugar may produce yeast that will off-flavor your beer.

FlacoAlto
beers 4461 º places 17 º 14:30 Fri 3/18/2011

Originally posted by SpringsLicker
Nay. Beer yeast is designed to ferment maltose, not sucrose. It can and will live on it, but it won’t be optimum; and the starter made from table sugar may produce yeast that will off-flavor your beer.

More important than this, yeast needs the "impurities" that are found in a malt extract. These impurities allow the yeast to multiple, stay healthy and build up there reserves for the fermentation of your beer.

Said another way, yeast would have just as much trouble (relatively) fermenting a pure maltose solution as a pure sucrose one.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 14:32 Fri 3/18/2011

Basically, there is no nutrient in table sugar. You’ll end up with mutations and unhealthy yeast. Basically, you’d end up with something you really don’t want in your beer: sick yeast.

absolutesites
beers 2 º 14:36 Fri 3/18/2011

While this may be true, if the only purpose of a starter is to increase the cell count that you eventually pitch into your wort, then why not use table sugar?

It’s not going to produce off-flavors once the yeast start fermenting maltose.

Actually, I may try this for my next starter. Can’t believe I haven’t thought of it already.

SamGamgee99
14:57 Fri 3/18/2011

Originally posted by absolutesites

While this may be true, if the only purpose of a starter is to increase the cell count that you eventually pitch into your wort, then why not use table sugar?

It’s not going to produce off-flavors once the yeast start fermenting maltose.

Actually, I may try this for my next starter. Can’t believe I haven’t thought of it already.

Once brewers yeast starts feeding on only table sugar, it loses the ability to ferment maltose. You should never use sugar for a starter. Maltose must be the primary food used in yeast propagation, and proper nutrients are also required if you want healthy yeast to be produced, and I think we all do. Malt-based extract is really the only option for yeast propagation.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12096 º places 543 º 15:07 Fri 3/18/2011

It would likely be fine. Yeast just don’t mutate that fast. You probably won’t build up to as high a cell density though.

SamGamgee99
15:42 Fri 3/18/2011

From Yeast by White and Zainasheff:

Use all-malt wort for starters. The sugar in the starter needs to be maltose, not simple sugar. Yeast grown exclusively on simple sugars stop making the enzyme that enables them to break down maltose. Since brewing wort is mainly maltose, fermenting it with yeast grown on simple sugar results in a beer that will not attenuate properly.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12096 º places 543 º 16:25 Fri 3/18/2011

Originally posted by SamGamgee
Use all-malt wort for starters. The sugar in the starter needs to be maltose, not simple sugar. Yeast grown exclusively on simple sugars stop making the enzyme that enables them to break down maltose. Since brewing wort is mainly maltose, fermenting it with yeast grown on simple sugar results in a beer that will not attenuate properly.

Ah shit - I forgot about catabolite repression. I know that glucose does this - I wasn’t sure whether the fructose from the sucrose would interfere. I guess that settles it.

absolutesites
beers 2 º 16:27 Fri 3/18/2011

Originally posted by SamGamgee

This makes me wonder if this has been tested in the real world or is it just conjecture?

Brewing tends to be full of myths that are accepted as science, when it can be proven wrong by real world experimentation.

You might not want to do something like this on a repetative basis, but simply making a starter might not be such a problem.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12096 º places 543 º 16:38 Fri 3/18/2011

@asites - that’s why I made my comment above, but I did a quick literature scan and it kind of makes sense. Yeast actively repress the production of secondary metabolic genes in the presence of preferred carbon sources (like glucose and fructose). I’m not sure about how sucrose invertase is regulated, but assuming it’s produced, you would have a crapload of glucose in the system that would downregulate all of the maltose transporters and metabolic genes. They’ll come back on, but I could imagine it being sluggish.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/r8hhunmq42dgvxw0/

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer