Tool Shed controversy

Reads 2824 • Replies 20 • Started Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:44:07 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

northropfrye
beers 4425 º places 327 º 20:44 Wed 9/21/2016

http://shermandelux-blog.tumblr.com/post/150736107790/ryan-bolinyoure-fired
Anyone want to explain the context here. What’s up with this?

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 04:21 Thu 9/22/2016

It says on this guy’s LinkedIn profile that he is a beer consultant. I assume he was doing work for Tool Shed. Unusual way to get rid of a consultant. Usually you don’t make it public like this. Not sure what they hope to accomplish out of this. If I was a brewer working there I would be a bit afraid of what they might say public if they fired me.

Tim

jercraigs
beers 14882 º places 1051 º 06:45 Thu 9/22/2016

Presumably he made enough of a problem of himself that they felt this was warranted. Or its some kind of weird joke?

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 09:10 Thu 9/22/2016

That’s rather unprofessional of Tool Shed.

Not to mention it may now be hard to recruit new staff.

Ferris
beers 23108 º places 1878 º 11:35 Thu 9/22/2016

It’s funny how they call him out for harsh criticism and in the very same sentence critisize, quite harshly, a local distributor. Sure, the distributor is a bit of a dick, but still, it is exactly the same thing.

They have now deleted that part, wonder why?

fiulijn
beers 28351 º places 745 º 15:44 Thu 9/22/2016

We don’t know what Devil Ryan Bolin did, but in general this attitude reminds me a lot the BS we read in the "dink" article of The Growler.

Again, we don’t know what happened, but the brewery doesn’t seem able to accept criticism, doesn’t accept that in 2016 they may wake up one day and read a harsh comment on social media

"Try to imagine you have a baby in a beauty pageant and someone just told you “hey man!! that’s an ugly baby you got there!!"
If your beer is bad and I say so, the problem is not on my side. Let’s leave babies out, here, we don’t want to hurt their innocent feelings, but you are a professional brewer and you take my money.

"We’re all on our beer journey and our palette’s evolve differently. This rule can also be read as ’light beer is not shit just because YOU currently enjoy 3 year old barrel aged sours’
Let’s assume for a moment that maybe you brew a tasteless dry ale and call it Kolsch, rather than a lovely true English Bitter...
And BTW, palette or palate???

"Local Beer is ALWAYS the best. (...)"
Now you show the arrogance that Devil Bolin is accused of.

"As in any industry, any one who trash talks must be willing to perform the trash talked offence BETTER"
Who says so? are Roosevelt quotes becoming law? Roosevelt spoke one century ago anyway.
I may not brew, but I tried better beers than yours, so I know what can be achieved, by a good brewer.
Elaborating a bit, I’m thinking that by your rules only top players should become coaches and referees.

northropfrye
beers 4425 º places 327 º 20:05 Thu 9/22/2016

I just read on the Craft Beer Drinkers Winnipeg Facebook page that he DIDN’T work for Tool Shed. So, I guess they were just mad that he made some critical comments? Ryan also posted on Facebook that he never mentioned Tool Shed by name. Over all, pretty odd. I get that you can’t have an employee trashing your product, but anybody else should be able to. I mean, if the criticisms are unwarranted or over-the-top few people will take them seriously. But to publicly retaliate, regardless of the situation is pretty immature.
Local beer is NOT always best. I get the support local thing, and I definitely do it. But if by "best" you mean, like, you know actually the best, then clearly you can’t say local beer is the best unless you live in San Diego or Brussels.

gramity
beers 1829 º places 41 º 14:29 Fri 9/23/2016

Can’t say I enjoy the response nor do I understand the "instigating act".

Have you ever been involved in hiring for a position for which there are far too many resumes to seriously read and consider each one? I have. In that situation I found myself actively seeking reasons to trash resumes as oppose to reasons to keep them. Spelled your own name wrong? Trash. Use Comic Sans? Trash. Use all caps? Trash. Has cooler initials than me? Trash.

Spoiled with choice you can afford to overlook many potentially good candidates who made a minor mistake. In search of perfection, you whittle down the pack. Do you find it, no? But at the end of the day you have a good enough candidate.

This is exactly how I see a beer geek in today’s beer market. We are spoiled with choice. I cannot try every beer or brewery I want to try. A lack of time, money, and alcohol tolerance stops me.

I think the above rationale is being applied to beer and breweries. If you gift me a good reason to skip your beer or brewery, I just may do that. As I know it will never matter to me in the long run. Will I potentially miss out on a good beer? Yeah. But that is ultimately irrelevant. Will this matter to the brewery? Not if it’s just me. But if you give enough people that same reason to pass on by you might be light on a few deposits.

In this scenario I think Tool Shed just made public a potentially persuasive reason to pass on by. Your itemized list of "unsolicited advice" hits a chord with many people enjoying the beer scene. Although you are trying to roast one guy, you’ve probably offended (albeit to a minor extent) countless other readers who were never involved.

Not everyone will agree with me. In fact, many may go buy the beer just because they can relate to Tool Shed’s position. I just wouldn’t have been willing to gamble this play would have worked in the brewery’s favor.

In my opinion...you done messed up A-Aron. Churlish.

Oakes
admin
beers 30677 º places 1135 º 23:53 Sun 9/25/2016

Yeah, a post like that is in pretty poor form. If you’re going to publicly start ripping someone, you should probably put a coherent argument together. There’s a lot of silliness here.

3) Respect the consumer. They are real people...who paid real money that they probably worked hard for. You, brewer, owe them a quality product. If you want the consumer to let you "get your feet under you" then do like at the hair cutting school and charge half price. You charge full price, make sure the product is on point.

And while we’re talking about entitlement, what do you call it when you feel that you should be immune from any criticism of any type? Of course it feels bad when someone rips you or your work a new one. But social media isn’t a "safe space".

4) I loved my first IPA and I’m by no means the only one. What a stupid thing to say. "Hi, my experience is the only one anybody could ever have had!" Narcissist.

6) Don’t be fucking stupid. As above, I’ve had the best beer in the world, and if you didn’t make it, be an adult and accept that. No, you don’t get a "world’s best brewer" prize just for showing up. You want people to call you world class, earn that shit. You’re not trying to set a world record in the high jump here; anybody can be the best brewer in the world if they put in the work.

7) As above, utter stupidity. People complain about shit all the time without being able to do it. Does anybody who says this stuff seriously build cars, design buildings, fly airplanes and run countries, too? Cause we all bitch about lemons, leaky roofs, delayed flights and politicians.

8) Don’t take it too seriously, just light up some dude on the Internet with a big giant rant. But don’t take it seriously.

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 13:40 Tue 9/27/2016

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 00:08 Wed 9/28/2016

Originally posted by DuffMan
It has now made national news:
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmonton/online-attacks-prompt-alberta-brewery-to-fire-critical-customer-1.3780657

The story is one sided and I can’t believe Ryan would not be quoted for the article. Toolshed is ripping him and he isn’t standing up for himself. I would have a lot to say if I was in his shoes.

They admit it was merely to poke fun at him, but they did it in such a way they look so stupid, and clearly they don’t realize this point.

Think I will skip on drinking any of their beers in the future. Doorknobs.

Tim