Two Kentish Men Go Mad In Southampton

Reads 4385 • Replies 96 • Started Saturday, November 26, 2016 4:46:25 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

harrisoni
beers 25357 º places 68 º 03:41 Tue 11/29/2016

Not as good as London Norwich Liverpool Leeds Sheffield. But as good as somewhere like Derby. Definitely upper quartile

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 05:59 Tue 11/29/2016

And Thanet? Hard for me to place it, being biased.

SilkTork
beers 7746 º places 111 º 10:30 Tue 11/29/2016

Originally posted by harrisoni
Not as good as London Norwich Liverpool Leeds Sheffield. But as good as somewhere like Derby. Definitely upper quartile

I’d put in somewhere in the Top Ten, but that’s only because of what’s happened this year. Before that it had a handful of the decent pubs you get in most places, though those pubs were scattered and a little dated. For its size it was actually a little disappointing when we arrived here in 2014. Things started to pick up when Butchers Hook opened last year. Other people in Southampton watched and waited to see what would happen. It sold out of cask beer on its first night (same as Dancing Man when that opened), and now everyone is rushing to open their own craft bar or micropub, and it shows no sign of slowing down.

There’s a question mark over Tramstop, and we’ve heard rumours about why that place is as confused and unfinished as it appears, so it may not last, but everywhere else is doing well, and with a surprisingly mixed clientèle.

SilkTork
beers 7746 º places 111 º 10:38 Tue 11/29/2016

I think one of the plus points is not just the amount of beer places, but the variety as well. Old fashioned scooping pubs with 7-12 casks, modern craft bars, micropubs, brewpubs, beer shops, and a Belgium bar. .

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 16:23 Tue 11/29/2016

Maybe not quite top ten but certainly in top few growth areas for last 12 months

Would come behind London, Manchester, Bristol, York, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield, Norwich, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow. Probably on a par with Brighton and ahead of many other comparably sized cities

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 03:25 Wed 11/30/2016

Very interesting. I remember being a bit underwhelmed by what I’d found on the interwebs about Southampton beer a couple of years ago. I assume it would be a nicer place to live than ...erm... Basingstoke, maybe more affordable than Winchester.

(Not that anything is likely to happen on the "we’d like to move to England" front for us now, since, you know...)

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 06:32 Wed 11/30/2016

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Very interesting. I remember being a bit underwhelmed by what I’d found on the interwebs about Southampton beer a couple of years ago. I assume it would be a nicer place to live than ...erm... Basingstoke, maybe more affordable than Winchester.

(Not that anything is likely to happen on the "we’d like to move to England" front for us now, since, you know...)
was at uni there, a nice city feels like a series of small towns, good transport links, plenty to do, not a bad choice for south coast

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 06:52 Wed 11/30/2016

I should put it on the list. Brighton tempts too. Cambridge is just so easy for us we get a bit unadventurous.

BeardedAvenger
beers 7320 º places 596 º 06:58 Wed 11/30/2016

How does Portsmouth compare beerwise? Because there are apparently no jobs in the rest of Hampshire half my colleagues in Farnborough seem to come from Portsmouth or Southampton and there is some competition (or if they have moved from up north, the best they can afford is Basingstoke).

Was pleasantly surprised at the housing prices in Winchester, but that’s compared to the Hampshire/Surrey commuter belt. However not that The Albion has been ruined by the new owners it no longer has the same appeal.

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 09:38 Wed 11/30/2016

Originally posted by BeardedAvenger
How does Portsmouth compare beerwise? Because there are apparently no jobs in the rest of Hampshire half my colleagues in Farnborough seem to come from Portsmouth or Southampton and there is some competition (or if they have moved from up north, the best they can afford is Basingstoke).

Was pleasantly surprised at the housing prices in Winchester, but that’s compared to the Hampshire/Surrey commuter belt. However not that The Albion has been ruined by the new owners it no longer has the same appeal.
Winchester does still have some nice classic pubs, Hyde tavern and eclipse two favourites. The wetherspoon has some of the best kept cask I’ve ever come across.

Not been to pompey in a long while but Colin (theydon Bois) and some of the London Crew went last year and found plenty of places to rate (though more on the trad side...)