Why don’t we just list every effin’ pub in London?

Reads 5547 • Replies 96 • Started Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:15:48 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

mR_fr0g
beers 29173 º places 44 º 15:58 Fri 9/21/2012

I’m pretty new to this, so don’t kill the newb. I don’t see the problem with listing any and every pub in London. The Best pubs will naturally float to the top due to good reviews, thus allowing people to find the best places to go. Democracy in action.

Even if a bad pub is listed on here this is still useful information. I may google said bad pub and find some awful reviews on RB. So i don’t go there. If it had not been listed I may take a punt on it.

Fin
beers 17288 º places 1653 º 23:24 Fri 9/21/2012

Great debate however I think where Gazza is wrong on this is that his view is prejudiced by what he feels constitutes the perfect place and place section. If he had children he may think differently, if he considered history and architectural splendour as part of the reason for visiting a pub he may also think differently. In short I do what many others do, i.e. consider a number of factors and use other sites or guides before making my choice. I don’t doubt for one minute that Gazza would be one of my first ports of call if I were seeking out where to drink wonderful, hoppy golden ales in an establishment that used crystal malt only to feed the fire, but if I were seeking just to have a decent pint but in a historic pub then I think that Gazza’s choice would be much more limited and actually might miss a number of what others would consider worth consideration.

cgarvieuk
beers 37688 º places 457 º 00:24 Sat 9/22/2012

Originally posted by Fin
I don’t doubt for one minute that Gazza would be one of my first ports of call if I were seeking out where to drink wonderful, hoppy golden ales in an establishment that used crystal malt only to feed the fire,

Oh i like the crystal malt line :-)

haddonsman
beers 1234 º places 56 º 01:45 Sat 9/22/2012

I guess what I’m saying is that I missed the stage when Places went from being exclusive to inclusive.

I’ve added what I consider to be the best of the best. If the mere great and the good deserve inclusion to, I’ve got a shit-ton of places to add.

Although, being outside the M25, they may not attract too many rates ;-)

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 03:09 Sat 9/22/2012

Originally posted by Fin
If he considered history and architectural splendour as part of the reason for visiting a pub he may also think differently.

But that’s not what RB’s database of places is about. There are umpteen guide books, "999 places to visit before you die" and suchlike to pubs of which you allude, but if I want to visit those places I’d get/read/blag a copy of these guides or go on the net.

What people should look on RB for IMO is the very best of the pubs/bars/breweries of a certain place which, unfortunately, means that if the bar is raised in a certain city - such as during the last 5 years in London - then those which were included as "padding" or to "make up the numbers" before may now be no longer needed and should go.

Now maybe some of these places have upped their game recently and deserve to stay, I’m all for that, but why do we have - for example - airport bars which only sell pasteurised junk that is IN NO WAY a good advert for the current UK beer scene?

If the places listings is meant to be more inclusive nowadays, aka BITE, then fair enough, but I thought the very point of it was to direct visitors to the BEST places, not just the average.

cgarvieuk
beers 37688 º places 457 º 03:20 Sat 9/22/2012

Originally posted by Gazza

If the places listings is meant to be more inclusive nowadays, aka BITE, then fair enough, but I thought the very point of it was to direct visitors to the BEST places, not just the average.

but doesnt the scoring system do this?

the best will rise to top of list

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 03:24 Sat 9/22/2012

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
but doesnt the scoring system do this?
the best will rise to top of list

It does, but some of these other places just aren’t (again, IMO) good enough to be on a list of a city’s best beer places.

I don’t give a fuck about child-friendly, smoking, TVs, sport, gardens, roses around the door, the landlord’s name being Colin and a million other things - I want to see the very best places where I’m going. Therefore, if a place has few good venues I’d expect some padding, but if there are as many good places as in London now these 200 or so extra ones just cause confusion and get in the way.

I can see that I’m never going to convince most of you lot of my POV, but you’ll never convince me of yours either!

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 03:37 Sat 9/22/2012

I only want to know which ones have landlords named Reg. And which have the least likelihood of getting cornered by a bore.

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 03:52 Sat 9/22/2012

Originally posted by haddonsman
Although, being outside the M25, they may not attract too many rates

There’s an outside the M25? I bet it’s full of slag heaps, cheap bitter, flat caps and whippets.

evergreen0199
beers 5941 º 04:46 Sat 9/22/2012

Originally posted by Gazza
Originally posted by haddonsman
Although, being outside the M25, they may not attract too many rates

There’s an outside the M25? I bet it’s full of slag heaps, cheap bitter, flat caps and whippets.

I’ve heard that up north you have to brush the soot off your car each morning before you head off to work down the pit. That would be a major pain in the arse. Then when you get back home you have to attend to the whippets and pigeons, must be one hell of a life!