BrewDog Launches the World’s Strongest Beer

Reads 23199 • Replies 113 • Started Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:27:12 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

robrules
places 1 º 07:58 Sun 11/29/2009

Originally posted by Magicdave6
Cry all we want gents, but i think theres evidance enough. And yes i do have a bottle next to me and yes i will have one at a tasting next month and yes you are invited to taste it.

Taste it? Why would you want to do that? This beer is worth more in geek points and ego boosting just sitting on a shelf since it has already been declared ultra ticker worthy. Just write up the review from looking at the bottle and its stated alcohol content - let’s stop pretending otherwise - we all know the higher the abv, the better the beer - so this has to be the best beer in the world. Beer is meant to held up for trade bait, or lorded over other beer geeks that its on your shelf and not theirs. Taste it?

DonMagi
beers 5592 º places 50 º 08:16 Sun 11/29/2009

Originally posted by robrules
Originally posted by Magicdave6
Cry all we want gents, but i think theres evidance enough. And yes i do have a bottle next to me and yes i will have one at a tasting next month and yes you are invited to taste it.

Taste it? Why would you want to do that? This beer is worth more in geek points and ego boosting just sitting on a shelf since it has already been declared ultra ticker worthy. Just write up the review from looking at the bottle and its stated alcohol content - let’s stop pretending otherwise - we all know the higher the abv, the better the beer - so this has to be the best beer in the world. Beer is meant to held up for trade bait, or lorded over other beer geeks that its on your shelf and not theirs. Taste it?

Jelousy will get you no where my lad

JoeMcPhee
beers 12108 º places 543 º 08:32 Sun 11/29/2009

Originally posted by OKBeer
Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
The overall message is this... there isn’t going to be any safety issues with these products if the brewer follows safe fermentation practices and people consume at a reasonable rate.

I expected the toxicity possibility was pretty low. Thanks for clearing that up. But what about the taste issue? Is the extreme eisbocking potentially going to make fusels and harsher stuff more prominent? Or does that go back to the issue of improper fermentation introducing higher alcohols in the first place?

I’ve generally found that eisbocks are very smooth, but again, they start out as well-lagered beers, which by definition are usually pretty clean. The only way to know is to try it. I had an imperial stout liquor a few months ago from De Molen that was pretty intense, but it didn’t come across as all that roasty or harsh... that was a heat-distilled product, so it’s fairly different, but I think that with brewers eising all of these beers, we’re just going to have to see how they shake out in terms of flavour. Whether they are included or not it’s still pretty interesting to see so much experimentation going on in the craft beer industry, and I’m looking forward to seeing what shakes out.