BrewDog Launches the World’s Strongest Beer

Reads 23196 • Replies 113 • Started Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:27:12 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Degarth
07:31 Fri 11/27/2009

Originally posted by FrumptyDumpty
Originally posted by schorsch
Our schorschbock40% has 39,44% Vol and so Schorschbräu still holds the record,the laboratory-results are open for everybody who wont believe.
great contest,i think 50 % are possible,we are working on this.

Yes but you didn’t come up with a silly name and marketing plan which is what people will remember in the end.

Beloved Beer
beers 277 º places 1 º 07:38 Fri 11/27/2009

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 07:55 Fri 11/27/2009

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Originally posted by Cletus
Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Originally posted by JamesBrewDog
Puzzl -

This was lab tested at Heriot Watt University brewing Department using 2 different methods. The samples were conducted by Jim Mackinlay who is an Alalytical Technician at the brewing school.

You can email him on - j.mackinlay@hw.ac.uk

The results were 32.18% and 31.95% ABV

I am unsure why you would accuse us of lying here and claim that the beer is 25%

James, BrewDog

Post the actual lab results and test used, please. No one is calling you a liar. This is simply an instance where we’ve all heard it before and are skeptical as to the actual validity of the lab results. I’ve never heard of the lab you used, so I have no idea how reliable they are, or if they were paid to give an unbiased result, or one of a chain of labs that were used until you got the results you desired for your marketing campaign.

Heriot Watt is one of the Big Universities in Edinburgh. Who run one of the most respected Brewing cources in the UK.

That’s awesome. The test used and results would be nice and I assume they would bolster sales of this product. The same is true of the German beers making the same claim.

I dont think brewdog are gonna have any trouble selling the small batch they have. :-)

I’m sure they will sell out quickly. It is probably a tasty beverage given their past products and is a reasonable price given the ABV and expense involved in making something like this. I was more referring to bolstering the overall sales of their products. Being able to say your brewery has made the world’s strongest beer, and a beer that topped the previous holder of the record which was Sam Adams Utopias is an excellent marketing point.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 08:06 Fri 11/27/2009

The lab used gas chromatography to determine the abv at 32.065% The certificate can be seen here http://www.twitpic.com/r5zot

James, BrewDog

That is just a snapshot of a general email.

Earlier you said 2 tests were used. What is the other test and what were the results of that test, or do you mean that the gas chromatography test was run twice?

Nightfall
beers 1313 º places 45 º 08:45 Fri 11/27/2009

The news came to Greece as well :

http://tinyurl.com/PenguinsGreece (the website of one of the major newspapers here)

argo0
beers 14125 º places 277 º 08:47 Fri 11/27/2009

I’m of the opinion that this is no longer beer, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to try it. For that matter, I’m intrigued by the idea of a black-and-tan of TNP and Nanny State.

Steve’s approach seems right on -- just because you start with a beer doesn’t mean you end up with one (though I don’t think the term "fortified" is applicable since nothing "foreign" has been added). Here’s the math as I understand it:

If you start with a 10% product, and end with a 32% one, you go from
10 alcohol units per 100 units of liquid (90 units that aren’t alcohol) to
10 alcohol units per 31.25 of liquid (21.25 units that aren’t alcohol).

Meaning that you have gotten rid of more than 2/3 of the original product, and 4/5 of the non-alcohol elements of the beer. I’m not exactly sure where one should draw the line from Eis beer to Eis non-beer, but to me this seems well past it.

One idea I have for where the beer/non-beer divide should land is that if more than a single round of distillation occurs, it’s no longer a beer.

FWIW, two of my friends heard about TNP this morning on NPR, so the publicity probably makes developing it a very good business decision.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12108 º places 543 º 08:50 Fri 11/27/2009

The lab used gas chromatography to determine the abv at 32.065% The certificate can be seen here http://www.twitpic.com/r5zot

James, BrewDog

That is just a snapshot of a general email.

Earlier you said 2 tests were used. What is the other test and what were the results of that test, or do you mean that the gas chromatography test was run twice?

I can’t quibble with the GC results... if that’s right it’s damn impressive and they would have had to get a whole lot lower than -20 degrees C to get there. I’m curious what the original batch size was vs the final?

JoeMcPhee
beers 12108 º places 543 º 08:58 Fri 11/27/2009

Originally posted by argo0
I’m of the opinion that this is no longer beer, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to try it. For that matter, I’m intrigued by the idea of a black-and-tan of TNP and Nanny State.

Steve’s approach seems right on -- just because you start with a beer doesn’t mean you end up with one (though I don’t think the term "fortified" is applicable since nothing "foreign" has been added). Here’s the math as I understand it:

If you start with a 10% product, and end with a 32% one, you go from
10 alcohol units per 100 units of liquid (90 units that aren’t alcohol) to
10 alcohol units per 31.25 of liquid (21.25 units that aren’t alcohol).

Meaning that you have gotten rid of more than 2/3 of the original product, and 4/5 of the non-alcohol elements of the beer. I’m not exactly sure where one should draw the line from Eis beer to Eis non-beer, but to me this seems well past it.

One idea I have for where the beer/non-beer divide should land is that if more than a single round of distillation occurs, it’s no longer a beer.

FWIW, two of my friends heard about TNP this morning on NPR, so the publicity probably makes developing it a very good business decision.

It doesn’t matter though... nothing changes between round 1 and round 2 of icing... it’s just a consequence of how low you take the temperature.

cgarvieuk
beers 37747 º places 457 º 09:06 Fri 11/27/2009

For that matter, I’m intrigued by the idea of a black-and-tan of TNP and Nanny State.

Oh thank you. Thats a gonna happen.

argo0
beers 14125 º places 277 º 09:14 Fri 11/27/2009

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee

It doesn’t matter though... nothing changes between round 1 and round 2 of icing... it’s just a consequence of how low you take the temperature.

From an alcohol perspective you may be right, but there has to be more to it than that. Otherwise, why do they (BrewDog and the others) decant multiple times instead of just once?