BrewDog Launches the World’s Strongest Beer

Reads 23197 • Replies 113 • Started Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:27:12 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 19:23 Thu 11/26/2009

Originally posted by JamesBrewDog
Puzzl -

This was lab tested at Heriot Watt University brewing Department using 2 different methods. The samples were conducted by Jim Mackinlay who is an Alalytical Technician at the brewing school.

You can email him on - j.mackinlay@hw.ac.uk

The results were 32.18% and 31.95% ABV

I am unsure why you would accuse us of lying here and claim that the beer is 25%

James, BrewDog

I never said you were "lying," merely that your numbers were inaccurate based on the assumption that you used gravity readings, which is a pretty safe assumption to make, considering that every other brewer making an eisbeer ever has done just that.

If you got legit lab testing and managed to get it up to 32% I’d be nothing short of amazed, honestly, as that would imply a freezing off of likely around 85-90% of the original beer, based on our homebrewers results.

What were your gravity readings pre- and post-eising and how much did you freeze off?

kappldav123
beers 8909 º places 10 º 22:09 Thu 11/26/2009

Originally posted by schorsch
We will start selling our schorschbock 40% mid of January the first time.

Schorsch

I’m looking very much forward!

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 22:24 Thu 11/26/2009

Puzzl -

This was lab tested at Heriot Watt University brewing Department using 2 different methods. The samples were conducted by Jim Mackinlay who is an Alalytical Technician at the brewing school.

I am unsure why you would accuse us of lying here and claim that the beer is 25%

James, BrewDog

Post the actual lab results and test used, please. No one is calling you a liar. This is simply an instance where we’ve all heard it before and are skeptical as to the actual validity of the lab results. I’ve never heard of the lab you used, so I have no idea how reliable they are, or if they were paid to give an unbiased result, or one of a chain of labs that were used until you got the results you desired for your marketing campaign.

cgarvieuk
beers 37747 º places 457 º 22:30 Thu 11/26/2009

Originally posted by Cletus
Puzzl -

James, BrewDog

Post the actual lab results and test used, please. No one is calling you a liar. This is simply an instance where we’ve all heard it before and are skeptical as to the actual validity of the lab results. I’ve never heard of the lab you used, so I have no idea how reliable they are, or if they were paid to give an unbiased result, or one of a chain of labs that were used until you got the results you desired for your marketing campaign.

Heriot Watt is one of the Big Universities in Edinburgh. Who run one of the most respected Brewing cources in the UK.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 22:35 Thu 11/26/2009

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Puzzl -

James, BrewDog

Heriot Watt is one of the Big Universities in Edinburgh. Who run one of the most respected Brewing cources in the UK.

That’s awesome. The test used and results would be nice and I assume they would bolster sales of this product. The same is true of the German beers making the same claim.

RollinHard
beers 1024 º 22:56 Thu 11/26/2009

On the Brewdog blog page, there is a comment posted about whether or not the bottle could be resealed, the way a bottle of port or whisky can. If that’s possible, than that would make it much more worthwhile in acquiring a bottle. Even if I just have to use a rubber stopper for a week, that would be perfectly fine. I would want to stretch out my enjoyment of the beer as much as possible.

BTW, the beer sounds very intriguing, especially since I loved the Islay Paradoxes. And the video was really good!

cgarvieuk
beers 37747 º places 457 º 23:06 Thu 11/26/2009

Puzzl -

James, BrewDog

That’s awesome. The test used and results would be nice and I assume they would bolster sales of this product. The same is true of the German beers making the same claim.

I dont think brewdog are gonna have any trouble selling the small batch they have. :-)

cgarvieuk
beers 37747 º places 457 º 23:08 Thu 11/26/2009

Originally posted by RollinHard
On the Brewdog blog page, there is a comment posted about whether or not the bottle could be resealed, the way a bottle of port or whisky can. If that’s possible, than that would make it much more worthwhile in acquiring a bottle. Even if I just have to use a rubber stopper for a week, that would be perfectly fine. I would want to stretch out my enjoyment of the beer as much as possible.

BTW, the beer sounds very intriguing, especially since I loved the Islay Paradoxes. And the video was really good!

I doubt it will be a resealable bottle, as that would be a whole extra expence. But i cant see no reason why it can be decanted into sterile nip bottles. Yeah you may lose carbonation, but its prob gonna be low to non existatant anyway.

cgarvieuk
beers 37747 º places 457 º 23:13 Thu 11/26/2009

Jeppe
beers 2634 º places 84 º 23:33 Thu 11/26/2009

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8380412.stm

And sorry to James and the rest of the brewers involved for all the Jantelov on Ratebeer!