BrewDog Launches the World’s Strongest Beer

Reads 23203 • Replies 113 • Started Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:27:12 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DonMagi
beers 5592 º places 50 º 10:08 Thu 11/26/2009

Win in every aspect!

AgentSteve
beers 1648 º places 83 º 11:39 Thu 11/26/2009

That’s got to be the best brewery made video in existence! The beer sounds awesome too! Who do I have to feed some fish to in order to get a bottle?!

cgarvieuk
beers 37773 º places 457 º 12:07 Thu 11/26/2009

Originally posted by AgentSteve
That’s got to be the best brewery made video in existence! The beer sounds awesome too! Who do I have to feed some fish to in order to get a bottle?!

yeah. He’s been tweeting about those penguin suits for a while now. Asking where you get one for a dog.

Great Video though

otakuden
beers 1783 º 12:08 Thu 11/26/2009

Originally posted by jdubFL
I was going to order 2 of these and have them shipped to Florida. They are 330ml it was going to be $170.... So I am gonna pass for now. Just wanted to pass that alond incase anyone else was interested in ordering any to the states and wondered what it may cost.

seeing as i live in FL and was thinking about it...thanks for the ehads up. hmm...

fiver29
beers 1112 º places 52 º 12:19 Thu 11/26/2009

Sounds like an Imperial Eis-Stout. I’d like to try it either way. Pissing matches aside of course

flabeer
places 2 º 17:35 Thu 11/26/2009

I can buy 40% beer in Florida any day of the week.
It’s called Bourbon!

Hi....my names eric and i am an.......sorry not ready for that first step yet.

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 18:55 Thu 11/26/2009

Originally posted by SilkTork
Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
You can’t purify indefinitely using fractional freezing and the concentration of ethanol left behind is a consequence of the final temperature, not anything else. Since they said they only got down to -20, I’m very skeptical of the ABV claim. If they simply used the volume of beer they started out with then the volume they ended up with, I’m afraid the calculation is way off. I wouldn’t believe it unless they got it lab tested.

They did it more than once. Same as Hair of the Dog Dave - and that was claimed to be 29%, so they are in the same ballpark.

Man, I thought that thread by the homebrewer finally killed off this argument. He did a Dave clone starting at the same ABV and finishing within a similar range using the same methods. Based on gravity readings, he finished around 23%. Based on actual lab testing I believe it came out to 18%. From the original 10% (also probably off by about 1%), that means the final product came out with about 40% less ABV difference than expected. As that number will only get smaller and smaller the higher you go, one can assume that the 22% boost from 10 to 32 is probably more in the ballpark of 11, making the BrewDog beer come in at around 21% (and putting Dave around 20).

It would be good to see if/when they get it lab tested, but I have a feeling that when the inevitable truth comes rolling down that it hasn’t even broken 25% they won’t be telling many people, much less issuing a follow-up press release.

JamesBrewDog
19:08 Thu 11/26/2009

Puzzl -

This was lab tested at Heriot Watt University brewing Department using 2 different methods. The samples were conducted by Jim Mackinlay who is an Alalytical Technician at the brewing school.

You can email him on - j.mackinlay@hw.ac.uk

The results were 32.18% and 31.95% ABV

I am unsure why you would accuse us of lying here and claim that the beer is 25%

James, BrewDog

JoeMcPhee
beers 12108 º places 543 º 19:11 Thu 11/26/2009

Originally posted by JamesBrewDog
Puzzl -

This was lab tested at Heriot Watt University brewing Department using 2 different methods. The samples were conducted by Jim Mackinlay who is an Alalytical Technician at the brewing school.

You can email him on - j.mackinlay@hw.ac.uk

The results were 32.18% and 31.95% ABV

I am unsure why you would accuse us of lying here and claim that the beer is 25%

James, BrewDog

What were the methods?