Dark Horse turns down Nickelback endorsement

Reads 9741 • Replies 92 • Started Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:39:00 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 11:39 Tue 6/26/2012

Speaking of Nickelback... From the Dark Horse blog:

--

What should we do?????
We received a call today from a producer guy out in Hollywood. It turns out that a big famous rock band wants to use our beer in their video that’s being shot in two weeks. This band is super popular and I’m sure the video will get tons of airplay. The guy on the phone said, “we’d like to have your delivery truck pull up to this frat party and wheel up a bunch of Dark Horse, then we’ll get some crowd shots of the kids holding your cans”. Aaron replied “we don’t do cans we have bottles”, the guy said that would be fine.

http://www.darkhorsebrewery.com/content.asp?PageName=Blog

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 11:40 Tue 6/26/2012

Awesome

b3shine
beers 12184 º places 372 º 11:51 Tue 6/26/2012

Cans or bottles, many states offer a nickelback.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 11:58 Tue 6/26/2012

“Why cant it be some cool band like Slayer?”

Ernest
beers 9435 º places 229 º 12:01 Tue 6/26/2012

Geez, Joe, you left out the best part:

Aaron said, “Why cant it be some cool band like Slayer?”

drewba
12:02 Tue 6/26/2012

I remember DH started a thread on BA a couple years ago about this that got pretty big. After being rejected, Nickelback used an anagram of Dark Horse, Shark Dore Beer as seen here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbP1K-bQB6g&feature=player_detailpage#t=188s

Potentially NSFW (scantily clad women)

unclemike
beers 3307 º places 69 º 12:11 Tue 6/26/2012

or Megadeth

Originally posted by joet
“Why cant it be some cool band like Slayer?”

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 12:16 Tue 6/26/2012

Sounds like the Dark Horse beer guy is kind of a jerk. The lead singer of a popular band likes his beer and wants to give it a ton of free publicity and the brewer’s response is essentially "Go f yourself." because he doesn’t like popular music? Reinforces a lot of negative sterotypes about craft beer brewers being elisit and snobby.

I mean, I’m not saying the guy has to love Nickelback or anything, but you can easily dislike the music and still take the free publicity from a popular band and thank the lead singer and his reps for giving you the opportunity. I mean, there are bands I don’t like, but you can bet if I were a craft brewer and a popular band I didn’t like offered to feature my beer in his video, I’d pull up my truck as quickly as humanly possible and thank him profusely.

b3shine
beers 12184 º places 372 º 12:23 Tue 6/26/2012

Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
Sounds like the Dark Horse beer guy is kind of a jerk. The lead singer of a popular band likes his beer and wants to give it a ton of free publicity and the brewer’s response is essentially "Go f yourself." because he doesn’t like popular music? Reinforces a lot of negative sterotypes about craft beer brewers being elisit and snobby.

I mean, I’m not saying the guy has to love Nickelback or anything, but you can easily dislike the music and still take the free publicity from a popular band and thank the lead singer and his reps for giving you the opportunity. I mean, there are bands I don’t like, but you can bet if I were a craft brewer and a popular band I didn’t like offered to feature my beer in his video, I’d pull up my truck as quickly as humanly possible and thank him profusely.

Then they should have made sure to not insult the brewery by sending someone who did there homework and at least knew they used bottles. And additionally, I respect Dark Horse for making this decision. Pairing their brewery name with a frat party indirectly reinforces underage drinking (because not all fraternity members are 21), and doesn’t exactly follow the responsible drinking messages brewers are trying to support either.

drewba
12:27 Tue 6/26/2012

You can’t possibly believe anything of this, right? RIGHT?

As a business owner, if I didn’t want my product tied to the image of a certain advertiser, then that’s within my right. If you’d do differently with your business, then that is literally "your business."

Nickelback may be popular among the masses, but among micro brew drinkers? That’s a gamble. Have you considered that accepting Nickelback’s "help" may do Dark Horse more harm than good? Think about the perception of a band that "sells out," what does that do to their careers?