EU vote

Reads 15974 • Replies 274 • Started Thursday, June 23, 2016 3:41:46 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

imdownthepub
beers 26105 º places 2113 º 08:16 Sun 6/26/2016

The problem with referendums (yuk hate that plural) is that it is too easy to implement a protest vote on a one issue subject i.e Foreigners are taking our jobs, vote out, whilst not having to weigh up the whole scenario. When we have a General Election all sorts of factors have to come into play.
This is the sort of situation that should now force an election, we will have the right people in place to push through exit if they win, we don’t at present.

imdownthepub
beers 26105 º places 2113 º 08:18 Sun 6/26/2016

Originally posted by madmitch76
Somebody needs to tell the EU that Son

http://www.euronews.com/2016/06/24/juncker-no-renegotiation/

Juncker’s a dick who has been wound up by the Farage contingent over the last 10 years.

madmitch76
beers 36962 º places 240 º 08:25 Sun 6/26/2016

The problem with referendums (yeah see what you mean!) is that they deliver answers the losing side don’t like.

I don’t buy this election business, not unless politicians start quitting on mass, which is really what they should do if they feel they are unable to implement the exit. If they are going to carry on with their jobs then they need to grasp the nettle. It’s what they are paid to do, by us.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 08:28 Sun 6/26/2016

Originally posted by imdownthepub
The problem with referendums (yuk hate that plural) is that it is too easy to implement a protest vote on a one issue subject i.e Foreigners are taking our jobs, vote out, whilst not having to weigh up the whole scenario. When we have a General Election all sorts of factors have to come into play.
This is the sort of situation that should now force an election, we will have the right people in place to push through exit if they win, we don’t at present.

The only amendment that needs to be made is the removal of open borders. This would turn the vote around by a good 25% I think.
It’s not racism that motivates most of these voters it’s a fear of increased unemployment, lower wages and the collapse of our infrastructure. However without open borders I don’t see the point of the EU. Increasing the membership to countries who have relatively low living standards will inevitably lead to large amounts of people becoming economic migrants. It’s only natural.
I would like to see evidence that when these economic minnows join the eu they increase living standards of their own country making it less likely those same countries will have an exodus of skilled workers who come over to the UK to earn more money working in a sportsdirect factory.

RichTheVillan
beers 10685 º places 101 º 08:32 Sun 6/26/2016

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
Originally posted by imdownthepub

The only amendment that needs to be made is the removal of open borders. This would turn the vote around by a good 25% I think.
It’s not racism that motivates most of these voters it’s a fear of increased unemployment, lower wages and the collapse of our infrastructure. However without open borders I don’t see the point of the EU. Increasing the membership to countries who have relatively low living standards will inevitably lead to large amounts of people becoming economic migrants. It’s only natural.
I would like to see evidence that when these economic minnows join the eu they increase living standards of their own country making it less likely those same countries will have an exodus of skilled workers who come over to the UK to earn more money working in a sportsdirect factory.

They have its called the Maastricht criteria, but unfortunately the EU have ignored their own rules on a number of new countries entering.

madmitch76
beers 36962 º places 240 º 08:37 Sun 6/26/2016

You missed concreting over the greenbelt to build hundreds of thousands of houses (which are undoubtedly needed because of the spiralling population).

I think you are absolutely right Martin, but that would mean a huge climbdown for the EU and a huge concession to the enfant terrible that is the UK. Don’t think they have the stomach for it.

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 11:55 Sun 6/26/2016

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
It’s not racism that motivates most of these voters it’s a fear of increased unemployment, lower wages and the collapse of our infrastructure. However without open borders I don’t see the point of the EU.

Nailed it. Racism may motivate a small minority, but we’re talking very small in my view. People think the competition for jobs created by free movement will either shut them out of industries or drive down wages. More families means more school places and hospital beds. But seemingly no money to fund it. Add in a brutal Tory government which seems to want to privatise every worthwhile public service and you alienate a lot of people. This may cause some additional protest voting.

Whether the exit actually happens or not. I just hope we get the right people at the top to make the calls. I’m not convinced of that at all at the moment. Would like to see an early general election, but that’s just day dreaming.

madmitch76
beers 36962 º places 240 º 12:13 Sun 6/26/2016

What would you realistically hope to gain by a general election? I would venture you are just going to get a different array of Tories. If a Corbyn led Labour got in that would be a bigger upset than Leicester winning the prem.

FatPhil
beers 26090 º places 995 º 12:21 Sun 6/26/2016

Have you forgotten your Latin lessons? "Referenda", c.f. bacterium > bacteria, addendum > addenda, etc.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40584 º places 1239 º 12:43 Sun 6/26/2016

Originally posted by madmitch76
What would you realistically hope to gain by a general election? I would venture you are just going to get a different array of Tories. If a Corbyn led Labour got in that would be a bigger upset than Leicester winning the prem.

There was nothing upsetting about Leicester winning the Prem thanks !