EU vote

Reads 15969 • Replies 274 • Started Thursday, June 23, 2016 3:41:46 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

imdownthepub
beers 26102 º places 2113 º 03:43 Wed 6/29/2016

Boris is only interested in one thing, the promotion of Boris Johnson, I don’t think that this will be unifying if he is made PM. There is a big backlash against him in the Tory party and in the country. However; the powers within the party might just be saying that he got us into this mess, he can spend the next few years getting us out of it.
I think you are right, he won’t want to be the one to push the Article 50 button and we have a great history of filibustering in our Parliament, delaying dubious decisions. He could very well try and sit it out until the 2019 election, if he is PM.
My choice personally would be Theresa May, but that would lead to a quick election whilst Labour are weak.

madmitch76
beers 36962 º places 240 º 04:33 Wed 6/29/2016

I know the ramifications of the exit vote have serious consequences for everybody (I’ve lost a shitload in shares for starters) but I have never been so entertained/engaged by politics. Some of the stuff yesterday left me open mouthed, not least the complete disconnect between Corbyn, the last of the shadow cabinet and the elected Labour MPs.

The next EU law change will be Article 50, they have stiched themselves up with the current arrangement of leaving control of invoking it to the departing country. If this drags on for months I think some of the eurocrats will blow their gaskets.

Also completely missed that Switzerland are going to be kicked out of the wider Economic Area as they are no longer going to accept free movement.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 04:39 Wed 6/29/2016

Originally posted by madmitch76

Also completely missed that Switzerland are going to be kicked out of the wider Economic Area as they are no longer going to accept free movement.

So where’s their next generation of soccer players going to come from? Unless they have a special dispensation for Brazil.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 04:46 Wed 6/29/2016

I think the extreme bluntness of a single question yes/no referendum as a policy-making (and, more to the point, action-dictating) tool is beginning to dawn on many people. And when the result is contrary to the views of the vast majority of the UK MPs that makes things even more tricky. Being out of the EU can take many forms, some of which are not so different to being in the EU, but without a seat at the table. Some models could retain many of the benefits but also much of the cost, free movement and adoption of EU law & regulations that the leave campaign made so much of. One might expect a parliament with a strong remain majority to favour such a model although it probably wouldn’t represent the "will of the people" (how would we know?).

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 05:01 Wed 6/29/2016

I have never been so entertained/engaged by politics.

In a Keystone Cops sort of way?

imdownthepub
beers 26102 º places 2113 º 05:51 Wed 6/29/2016

Wow, missed that too. There are a lot of Companies who have moved their European headquarters to Switzerland, mine included, where they have reaped the benefit of lower taxes but still being within the European Economic Area, giving them access to the market.
This could well mean massive and expensive upheaval for them and a big loss of income for Switzerland.
A bit of a shocker.

CH-303
beers 4551 º places 137 º 07:03 Wed 6/29/2016

Huh? Switzerland is not part of EEA, and recently decided to withdraw its application for EEA/EU membership:
http://lenews.ch/2016/06/16/switzerland-withdraws-its-application-for-eu-membership/

Also, " Despite joining neither the EEA nor the EU, Switzerland has an EU trade agreement, allows free movement of people, and is part of the Schengen zone."

CH-303
beers 4551 º places 137 º 07:07 Wed 6/29/2016

Switzerland is part of EFTA, though.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 07:09 Wed 6/29/2016

Originally posted by CH-303

Huh? Switzerland is not part of EEA, and recently decided to withdraw its application for EEA/EU membership:
http://lenews.ch/2016/06/16/switzerland-withdraws-its-application-for-eu-membership/

Also, " Despite joining neither the EEA nor the EU, Switzerland has an EU trade agreement, allows free movement of people, and is part of the Schengen zone."

I think that’s what Ken is saying. They want to withdraw free movement and therefore if the same principles apply that they are threatening the UK with they will then lose free trade. Free trade and free movement of people come as a package, you can’t have one without the other.

moleha4
beers 404 º places 171 º 07:21 Wed 6/29/2016

Although many / most goods which UK (& EU) import from Switzerland are currently Duty Free, Customs Clearance is still required, which an Agent has to be paid for. Similarly our exports to CH have to be entered to Customs there. Not a large overhead per se, but can be in % terms for low value consignments.