EU vote

Reads 15970 • Replies 274 • Started Thursday, June 23, 2016 3:41:46 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 14:24 Wed 6/29/2016

Originally posted by madmitch76
Switzerland have said no more Free Movement, I think most people would agree the UK has said exit for the same reason.

Well, you can’t really be sure can you? It’s probably true but that wasn’t included in the question asked. All you can say for certain is that there was a lot of noise about immigration & free movement and that a majority of those voting supported the proposition that the UK should leave the European Union. As I said earlier, a referendum is a very blunt tool and gives no lead to parliament on alternative arrangements. Perhaps we should have another referendum, or a series of them, covering every aspect of the UK’s future relationship with Europe/the EU? I think not.

pivnizub
beers 12929 º places 633 º 14:50 Wed 6/29/2016

Remain or leave, who cares...? The only thing that drives me really crazy is the fact, that a lunatic like Nigel Farrage is a winner now...

theprof
beers 4315 º places 42 º 15:09 Wed 6/29/2016

Given what is happening on both Labour and Tory sides, it seems arguable to say the least that Brexit is all about politics in its petty sense. For people who have links that may be harmed by all this it’s deeply depressing and as a risk factor it’s bound to be economically costly. Taken together it has the potential to do enormous harm. And it has made me more cynical (which I didn’t believe possible). One final thought from me as the centenniary of the Somme approaches. Aren’t we lucky to be adult males from the late 20th century?

evergreen0199
beers 5930 º 17:16 Wed 6/29/2016

Originally posted by pivnizub
Remain or leave, who cares...? The only thing that drives me really crazy is the fact, that a lunatic like Nigel Farrage is a winner now...

Your Mrs Merkel was one of the reasons for BREXIT, perhaps you should be critical of her and not Nigel Farrage.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 02:29 Thu 6/30/2016

Originally posted by CH-303
Also completely missed that Switzerland are going to be kicked out of the wider Economic Area as they are no longer going to accept free movement.

Huh? Switzerland is not part of EEA, and recently decided to withdraw its application for EEA/EU membership:
http://lenews.ch/2016/06/16/switzerland-withdraws-its-application-for-eu-membership/

Also, " Despite joining neither the EEA nor the EU, Switzerland has an EU trade agreement, allows free movement of people, and is part of the Schengen zone."

Why then, when flying through Zurich, do I, coming from Germany, have to go through passport control? (Though maybe I’ve only flown through Zurich OUT of Schengen, maybe that’s why?)

digita7693
beers 1 º places 7 º 05:00 Thu 6/30/2016

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Also completely missed that Switzerland are going to be kicked out of the wider Economic Area as they are no longer going to accept free movement.

Huh? Switzerland is not part of EEA, and recently decided to withdraw its application for EEA/EU membership:
http://lenews.ch/2016/06/16/switzerland-withdraws-its-application-for-eu-membership/

Also, " Despite joining neither the EEA nor the EU, Switzerland has an EU trade agreement, allows free movement of people, and is part of the Schengen zone."

Why then, when flying through Zurich, do I, coming from Germany, have to go through passport control? (Though maybe I’ve only flown through Zurich OUT of Schengen, maybe that’s why?)

Have to going to/from the UK too.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 05:15 Thu 6/30/2016

Originally posted by digita7693
Originally posted by Erlangernick

Have to going to/from the UK too.

UK isn’t part of Schengen.

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 07:58 Thu 6/30/2016

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
Compulsory voting is very undemocratic. Also, you would have people voting who just don’t give a damn. That would be very dangerous.

A friend of mine was involved in the official count, and from what she said about the spoilt ballot papers we already have plenty of voters who didn’t give a damn, instead treating it as a "wind up Johnny Foreigner" joke.

MannyGoldberg
beers 208 º places 31 º 08:30 Thu 6/30/2016

Yeah, nice one Boris. Thanks for that.

*slow handclap*

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36672591

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 08:37 Thu 6/30/2016

Originally posted by MannyGoldberg
Yeah, nice one Boris. Thanks for that.

*slow handclap*

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36672591

I can’t think of any Tory I would like to run the country. But Boris would have been a massive disaster of Donald Trump proportions.