Fobab Tickets

Reads 22574 • Replies 263 • Started Monday, August 6, 2012 3:52:07 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 07:20 Fri 8/10/2012

Originally posted by drewbeerme
Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by jrallen34
Originally posted by Tooch4321
Worst. Idea. Ever.

My thoughts exactly...

Curious as to why?

Taking a cab or a quick walk home vs. having to make the wife dd or take multiple buses and trains. Its a no brainer. Horrendous idea.

Oh, so it’s just not convenient/close to you.

Be fair Brian. His wife is inconvenienced as well since she is now forced to be the dd.

Oh yeah. My bad~

Rando7
beers 779 º places 21 º 10:36 Fri 8/10/2012

I’m from out of town so I could be wrong, but it seems to me there are a lot more interesting beer-related things to do on the north side as opposed to the south. From the perspective of someone coming in and having to get a hotel I think the old location works better.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 15:19 Tue 8/14/2012

ICBG Perez Pete Crowley releases FoBAB info:

http://www.illinoisbeer.com/festival-of-wood-and-barrel-aged-beer/

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 15:29 Tue 8/14/2012

Really just confirms everything we’ve been discussing.

chibuck
beers 3521 º places 676 º 15:41 Tue 8/14/2012

Originally posted by drewbeerme
Originally posted by Tooch4321
Worst. Idea. Ever.

My thoughts exactly...

Curious as to why?

Taking a cab or a quick walk home vs. having to make the wife dd or take multiple buses and trains. Its a no brainer. Horrendous idea.

Oh, so it’s just not convenient/close to you.

Be fair Brian. His wife is inconvenienced as well since she is now forced to be the dd.

Oh yeah. My bad~

Typical response.

ICEatALAMO
beers 1366 º places 18 º 07:35 Wed 8/15/2012

I’m from out of town and debating whether trying to get tickets or not. I’ve always heard good things about the Plumbers Aud so wondering what drove the decision to switch locations. I lived in Chicago for a summer over a decade ago and get back once in a while. Obviously this being south side raise some concerns, but how bad of an area is this? Will cabs not be readily available? I would plan to stay somewhere more downtown. Are there any pre-party type events? Post party? Is it worth coming in the night before other than just visiting the City?

Is there a difference in the sessions?

Also, uofm is terrible and will most likely have 4 losses by then. Going to the FOBAB is probably the best way to forget about things for a while and not remember another loss to Iowa.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 07:44 Wed 8/15/2012

Originally posted by ICEatALAMO
I’m from out of town and debating whether trying to get tickets or not. I’ve always heard good things about the Plumbers Aud so wondering what drove the decision to switch locations. I lived in Chicago for a summer over a decade ago and get back once in a while. Obviously this being south side raise some concerns, but how bad of an area is this? Will cabs not be readily available? I would plan to stay somewhere more downtown. Are there any pre-party type events? Post party? Is it worth coming in the night before other than just visiting the City?

Also, uofm is terrible and will most likely have 4 losses by then. Going to the FOBAB is probably the best way to forget about things for a while and not remember another loss to Iowa.

They threw a beer event at the new venue this last Chicago Craft Beer Week. Perhaps cost was a factor (they offered a better cost), but I definitely think the Plumbers Union Hall was already a perfect venue. So, there must definitely be a reason.

This isn’t a bad area. It’s a misconception, I think. Certainly you walk east over the Dan Ryan.. or further west and of course south, it would be "bad areas". But Bridgeport is not really a bad area. Noble could probably elaborate more on it.

It might just be a hassle to get somewhere for dinner afterwards..

Sheffields used to do a pre-party (Though not official - it just usually coincided with the night before), but last year they did not.

First session always sells out first (But selling out first usually take a week or two - It’s not a "wham bam" ticket sale process). And since breweries are only required to bring one keg of any entry, the cut off of the kegs can vary. Sometimes the evening session can get significantly less of a certain beer than the afternoon (Last year, V010 was a perfect example of this, I heard). But at the same time, the evening session usually has less enthusiasts and industry folk, so it could be ideal for someone looking for less hub bub over certain beers. Last year kinda messed up the whole dynamic with the FFF Anniversary Party the same day.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 09:15 Wed 8/15/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum
Originally posted by ICEatALAMO

They threw a beer event at the new venue this last Chicago Craft Beer Week. Perhaps cost was a factor (they offered a better cost), but I definitely think the Plumbers Union Hall was already a perfect venue. So, there must definitely be a reason.

This isn’t a bad area. It’s a misconception, I think. Certainly you walk east over the Dan Ryan.. or further west and of course south, it would be "bad areas". But Bridgeport is not really a bad area. Noble could probably elaborate more on it.

It might just be a hassle to get somewhere for dinner afterwards..

Sheffields used to do a pre-party (Though not official - it just usually coincided with the night before), but last year they did not.

First session always sells out first (But selling out first usually take a week or two - It’s not a "wham bam" ticket sale process). And since breweries are only required to bring one keg of any entry, the cut off of the kegs can vary. Sometimes the evening session can get significantly less of a certain beer than the afternoon (Last year, V010 was a perfect example of this, I heard). But at the same time, the evening session usually has less enthusiasts and industry folk, so it could be ideal for someone looking for less hub bub over certain beers. Last year kinda messed up the whole dynamic with the FFF Anniversary Party the same day.

To be perfectly honest, going east of the expressway isn’t that bad either as you end up on the IIT campus. There are a lot of options for food down that way, most over on Halsted (which is 4 blocks east of the venue). With that being said, don’t be surprised if there end up being food trucks as well (not intell, just a hunch). I’ll see if I can get more details on the logistics. But the area isn’t particularly dangerous, that I can assure you.

ICEatALAMO
beers 1366 º places 18 º 09:31 Fri 8/17/2012

Now that I know the Founder’s Anniversary party, not sure I will make it. Last year it was 3F’s, this year Founder’s, these guys are killing me. I still might go to FOBAB though if it works out.

mowz
15:24 Sat 8/18/2012

Just don’t get lost and wander over into Englewood. And I would recommend not shouting "Canaryville rules!" whilst in Bridgeport. There are some dicey areas in Pilsen. Also, crime has been increasing in the Little Italy/UIC ’hood. Chinatown, Fuller Park, IIT area, & Back of the Yards? Eh. Depends when you wander into those areas.