What’s new - Part 2

Reads 13351 • Replies 162 • Started Monday, September 8, 2014 4:03:09 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Naven
beers 1000 º places 109 º 01:28 Thu 12/25/2014

Went to Bolt Brewing in La Mesa last week. Awesome outside beer garden with a super friendly staff. Naturally, the beers were horrid. Someone enter it in the database. I’m too lazy.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 14:00 Thu 12/25/2014

Originally posted by Naven
Went to Bolt Brewing in La Mesa last week. Awesome outside beer garden with a super friendly staff. Naturally, the beers were horrid. Someone enter it in the database. I’m too lazy.

Do you have a picture of the tap list by any chance? They don’t seem to have any info online about their beer.

http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/bolt-brewery/21701/

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 11:05 Mon 12/29/2014

Wavelength Brewing Company just opened in Vista the other day. If anyone has more info on them please add it. They don’t have a real website, a proper beer list, or even a phone number, but they did post the tap lineup for opening day (Saturday) on facebook.

http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/wavelength-brewing-company/21736/

BlackHaddock
beers 15456 º places 1055 º 05:29 Tue 12/30/2014

Good to see the brewing revolution is still happening in Southern California.

I am curious to know if there are many closures, as it appears a new brewery is opening almost weekly in the area. Can the beer drinking population sustain so many new ’craft’ (or otherwise) brewing places?

My daughter and her husband have moved from the coast at Newport Beach and now live up in Laguna Niguel: same rent, bigger house and a garden I believe. Next visit planned for May.

Looking at maps and the database of places on here Laguna Niguel seems to be a huge housing development without any bars! A few shopping malls and restaurants dotted in between the various property estates is all I can find.

I will keep checking on this forum to see if anything appears close to my new visiting address: thank you (the regular contributors) for being so active and helpful to the people with a beer appreciation.

<*))))))><

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 09:47 Tue 12/30/2014

Originally posted by BlackHaddock
I am curious to know if there are many closures, as it appears a new brewery is opening almost weekly in the area. Can the beer drinking population sustain so many new ’craft’ (or otherwise) brewing places?

Short answer is yes.

Longer answer:

When you consider how much beer most of these breweries are actually making, there is plenty of room for more breweries. I’ve been saying it for at least 5 years but we’re almost there now: pretty soon we’re going to be like Germany was years ago where there was a brewpub in every little town and there is no real brand identification (bars just carry one brewery). You just walk down to your nearest brewpub and ask for a hefe, or a pils (or more likely an IPA or an imperial stout).

The competition is really for shelf space.

We still have a little ways to go before that happens but it’s not too far off. And so far most of them have not closed, but we’ll get there too.

BlackHaddock
beers 15456 º places 1055 º 14:35 Tue 12/30/2014

Cheers for the answer, hope someone opens a brewpub at Dana Point or Laguna Niguel before May and it stays open until I get there.

<*))))))><

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 17:38 Thu 1/1/2015

According to Facebook, Cal Poly’s brewery will have their first house beers on tap on Monday. Guess I’ll have to go visit the ol’ Alma Mater here in the next few weeks.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 17:59 Thu 1/1/2015

Originally posted by brokensail
According to Facebook, Cal Poly’s brewery will have their first house beers on tap on Monday. Guess I’ll have to go visit the ol’ Alma Mater here in the next few weeks.

Pretty sure they had a couple beers on but ran out quickly since they’re on a 3 bbl system or something small. I’d call ahead or post on facebook to see if they have them on, before making the journey to make some students feel bad for making crappy beer

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 18:54 Thu 1/1/2015

Originally posted by t0rin0
Originally posted by brokensail

Pretty sure they had a couple beers on but ran out quickly since they’re on a 3 bbl system or something small. I’d call ahead or post on facebook to see if they have them on, before making the journey to make some students feel bad for making crappy beer

Good point. At worst I can always just go to Upland and Claremont for some high quality libations...

Bacterial
beers 3140 º places 134 º 12:01 Sat 1/10/2015

FW18 still around anywhere? Would like to snag a bottle.