What’s new -Part 4

Reads 14153 • Replies 168 • Started Friday, September 25, 2015 11:01:20 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 11:01 Fri 9/25/2015

The other thread is going to expire in the next week or so and it was getting kind of unwieldy. Here are the last couple things in case you missed it over there:

-Ballast Point is taking over a seafood restaurant in Temecula. Not clear yet if they’ll have a small brewery in there like they do in Little Italy.

http://www.pe.com/articles/county-781384-point-diego.html

-On the subject of Ballast Point, someone mentioned that they are in the process of opening a Long Beach location as well, but I cant find any info on that.

-Magnetic Brewing in San Diego opened some time ago and no one here noticed.

Here’s a follow up on some of the breweries mentioned in the previous thread:

Open now
Alpine 2.0
Bay Bridge
Bay City
Bear Roots - homebrew shop is open but they’re not brewing yet
Brew Rebellion - San Bernardino (opens tomorrow: 9/26)
Catalina Island
Desert Barn
Division 23
Duck Foot
Green Flash - Poway
Hand Brewed - Chatsworth
Loueddie’s Pizza - I think they opened a year ago at least but they were discovered a month or two ago
Magnetic
Mumford
Novo Brazil
Old Stump - Pomona
Pacific Islander
Riip
Second Chance - Rancho Bernardo
Solarc - LA / Vernon (no tasting room)
Taps - Irvine
Topa Topa - Ventura
Valley Center
Weiland - Long Beach, I think this is the new location mentioned in the last thread?

Reopened after closing:
Pacific Beach Ale House
Wet n Reckless (now Reckless)

Not open yet:
Arts District
Ballast Point - Long Beach
Ballast Point - Temecula
Boomtown
Casa Agria - they are brewing and have filled a bunch of barrels already
Dionysus Brewing - similar to Casa Agria I think
Dry River Brewing
Euryale Brewing
Filthy Perro - Ontario
Firestone Venice - LA
Five Threads
Golden Road - Anaheim (second location)
Homage Brewing
Indie - LA
Iron Triangle - LA
Karl Strauss - LA
Lagunitas - Azusa
Liberation - but Dan is now a cicerone
Main St - Corona (shopping center is being rebuilt)
Mars - Riverside
Mike Hess - Ocean Beach
Mikkeller - San Diego
Northern Pine - Oceanside
O’Neill Honey - Oceanside
Off The Grid
Reel Brewery
Relentless - Temecula
Resident Brewing
Route 30
Rowdys Brew Co
Sessions - Ventura
Setting Sun Sake
Sour Cellars
Third Window - Santa Barbara
Thompson - still a few months out

Closed or cancelled:
Beer Brewing
Indian Joe
Brew Crew - Anaheim (second location) - not happening, though they might expand into the unit next door here in Riverside early next year and build a 10 bbl brew house

???
Capistrano Brewing Company
Hoparazzi - Anaheim - maybe in another year?
Kat Daddy - I think they’re dead and gone but rumors keep circulating

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 11:05 Fri 9/25/2015

Random speculation based on nothing but comparing this thread to the last one but I feel like San Diego might be slowing down in terms of new breweries opening and LA is speeding way up. Both are definitely still growing a decent rate.

beercation
beers 2 º places 4 º 13:20 Fri 9/25/2015

+ Modern Times in Downtown LA.

# This weekend, I was told by the Bar Tenders at Alesmith that Mikkeller SD will be open in 4-6 weeks.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 17:01 Fri 9/25/2015

And another new one in the IE. In "uptown" Yucaipa. Called Brewcaipa

http://www.yucaipadailynews.com/community/city-approves-lease-with-brewcaipa/

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 20:44 Fri 10/2/2015

Novo Brazil is pretty big for a start up. My guess is about as big as Green Flash before they moved. At least four partners, each with a lot of money. One sold a portion of a large Brazilian brewery to Anheuser for $43 million. Not sure how much they’re into this place for but at least a million or two, and they’re still building. They’ve got a film crew here right now and a lot of beautiful people making some kind of commercial.

Oh, the beer is alright. 15 taps.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 20:54 Fri 10/2/2015

Originally posted by t0rin0
Novo Brazil is pretty big for a start up. My guess is about as big as Green Flash before they moved. At least four partners, each with a lot of money. One sold a portion of a large Brazilian brewery to Anheuser for $43 million. Not sure how much they’re into this place for but at least a million or two, and they’re still building. They’ve got a film crew here right now and a lot of beautiful people making some kind of commercial.

Oh, the beer is alright. 15 taps.

So apparently they’re filming a promo for some Facebook app called Zip or something like that. Kind of put my footnin my mouth when they told me to go try it out when I said I generally don’t download a bunch of garbage apps to my phone

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 21:50 Fri 10/2/2015

So Border X is gone, moved to San Diego. The phone number doesn’t get answered and they removed the hours from their website so I should’ve saved the trip. It’s RIGHT on the border, you can see the entirety of Tijuana from the street.

At Bay Bridge now. Apparently these guys have been open since 2006 but just opened the tasting room in July. So far kinda meh. Bonus points for John Fogerty on the radio.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 23:51 Fri 10/2/2015

Imperial Beach wasn’t nearly as dumpy as I thought out was going to be. Coronado was pretty nice, a diner across from the ocean with 15 house taps, and a hot girl that races Baja trucks.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 00:06 Sat 10/3/2015

Border X Logan St is kind of a cool spot. The beers are decent, interesting crowd, one of those places where you can be as loud and/or drunk as you want. I understand why they call this location the barrio location. Not sure where the other open location is.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 01:14 Sat 10/3/2015

Three Weavers 1st Anniversary on Oct. 24th. I’ll be out of town, but probably not a bad party to attend. I’ve thought their beers have been pretty decent so far.

https://www.facebook.com/events/425336874343539/

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 01:28 Sat 10/3/2015

So there’s a new Iron Fist location 4 blocks from the New Border X. Very cool spot, nice people/family as always, even if they are polish. Specialty beers are certainly better than they used to be, still no Lagunitas.

Bay City is a nice hangout, near the original Modern Times. Beers are alright. Staff is very nice. Another industrial warehouse.