What’s new -Part 4

Reads 14150 • Replies 168 • Started Friday, September 25, 2015 11:01:20 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Naven
beers 1000 º places 109 º 14:30 Sun 2/28/2016

Originally posted by t0rin0
Has anyone mentioned Pure Project? They seem to be open and are wedged in between the new Ballast Point (Miramar) and Duck Foot.

Really cool place. Beers aren’t perfect, but there is a lot of promise. If I ever get motivated, I’ll properly rate them.

Naven
beers 1000 º places 109 º 14:32 Sun 2/28/2016

It’s probably been mentioned, but there is a sake/beer brewery in San Marcos called Kuracali. Definitely gonna scope it out soon.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 14:40 Sun 2/28/2016

Originally posted by Naven
It’s probably been mentioned, but there is a sake/beer brewery in San Marcos called Kuracali. Definitely gonna scope it out soon.

I went there a while back. Interesting set up and he seems fairly knowledgeable about sake but its a homebrew setup through and through. He’s a fun guy to talk to, being a nerd and all, because he’s rigged up a laptop to automate most of his system. He’s got some neat ideas.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 13:57 Mon 2/29/2016

Apparently Chino Valley reopened on Saturday

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=917553121627375&id=197318420317519

And Brew Crew (not Area 51) signed a lease a week or two ago in the pedestrian mall in downtown Riverside. The original location fell through so they will not be able to brew or have a kitchen on site, so it will just a beer bar, with guest beers. No ETA yet.

beercation
beers 2 º places 4 º 15:49 Mon 2/29/2016

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 16:33 Mon 2/29/2016

Just went to Relentless in Temecula today. Pretty legit. Tons of geeky beers like three different barrel fermented Gose’s and a couple fruited sours. All were more than drinkable with only minor flaws. Pretty impressive since these are their first batches. Recommended.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 16:35 Mon 2/29/2016

Originally posted by joeneugs
Just went to Relentless in Temecula today. Pretty legit. Tons of geeky beers like three different barrel fermented Gose’s and a couple fruited sours. All were more than drinkable with only minor flaws. Pretty impressive since these are their first batches. Recommended.

Agreed, at least for the 5 We Cant Stop Here barrel beers. There were a few others with some not so pleasant flavors like bile. The vanilla 3 Fruit beer was pretty good too.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 00:41 Tue 3/1/2016

Agreed, at least for the 5 We Cant Stop Here barrel beers. There were a few others with some not so pleasant flavors like bile. The vanilla 3 Fruit beer was pretty good too.

Yeah, I mentioned butyric acid to the brewer, but he kind of challenged me on that...he said they flood everything with co2 and even go as far as bubbling co2 through the beer as its souring on lacto. I’m pretty sure I picked it up in one or two, but it was below the offensive threshold for me.

rcubed
beers 35 º 12:42 Tue 3/1/2016

Yeah, I mentioned butyric acid to the brewer, but he kind of challenged me on that...he said they flood everything with co2 and even go as far as bubbling co2 through the beer as its souring on lacto. I’m pretty sure I picked it up in one or two, but it was below the offensive threshold for me.

Doesn’t matter if you purge with CO2 if you’re not lowering your pH to below 4.5 to kill off the offending bacteria.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 14:50 Tue 3/1/2016

Originally posted by rcubed

Doesn’t matter if you purge with CO2 if you’re not lowering your pH to below 4.5 to kill off the offending bacteria.

QFT

I think they mentioned they’re using pure strains though....not a sour mash or anything like that.