Why do customers do this?

Reads 9471 • Replies 78 • Started Friday, February 17, 2012 6:46:17 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

fatknitty
08:02 Fri 7/27/2012

I think its funny. At the place I work at, it is almost guarenteed that every beer in the cooler was brought in to the store within the last week or so so freshness is never an issue. If coldness is the issue, we always rotate the beers so the warmer ones are actually in the back when we stock and we pull the coldest to the front, and we are CONSTANTLY stocking.

I think it is habit. Bred in by our mothers. Case in point, stocking SN Pale Ale the other day, pulled the cold one to the front, and the dude still took it out and grabbed one of the ones I had just stocked. Dork.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 08:05 Fri 7/27/2012

Originally posted by fletche00
Originally posted by vollont
they dont want skunky beer

If you dont mind sir, could you please explain to me, in your opinion, what skuny beer is?

Light struck beer. A lot of stores have fluorescent lighting which emits UV light. UV light interacts with isohumulones in the beer, which in turn react with sulfur compounds in the beer. Interestingly, High Life & MGD don’t skunk due to the particular type of hop extract that they use which doesn’t react with UV light (hence the clear bottles).

fletche00
08:16 Fri 7/27/2012

I actually wanted it from Vollont since he obviously works for Inbev or Millercoors. I want to know what he thinks a skunk beer is.

Triballus
places 3 º 14:22 Fri 7/27/2012

I just fondle the bottles for way to long...
Its getting creepy, Even I can see that now
;-)

BelgBeerGeek
beers 1307 º places 38 º 15:16 Fri 7/27/2012

Originally posted by 77ships
I admit to doing this, habit spilling over from shopping habits, I don’t want the lettuce that everyone has touched before me, 15 people before me have picked it up and put it back. Sometimes same with beer. Plus often some of the stuff in the back will have a further freshness date – matters with yoghurt & some beer styles. Hope that explains that, sorry if its driving shop keepers insane.

Not picking on you , but my opinion is this, this doesn’t go for all products but do for allot AND especially beer.
Beer doesn’t have a best befor date they have a ( translated from dutch to english ) ’ At least good untill’ this means they’re good untill that date but can still be good later ...

If i forget about a yoghurt in my fridge and it’s passed it’s best before date.
I check it open it , if there’s no funky smell or funky colour and it still tastes good i’l just eat it ...
And i’ve never had any problems with it so far.
People these days are used to too much luxury, they all keep buying stuff twice the volume of what they need and then have to throw it away because they didn’t eat it before it has goen bad.
This makes me feel kinda sad as allot of people in the world litterally have nothing to eat or drink while we throw tons of food away and flush our toilet with drinkable water. ...

77ships
beers 14200 º places 925 º 15:41 Fri 7/27/2012

Originally posted by BelgBeerGeek
I admit to doing this, habit spilling over from shopping habits, I don’t want the lettuce that everyone has touched before me, 15 people before me have picked it up and put it back. Sometimes same with beer. Plus often some of the stuff in the back will have a further freshness date – matters with yoghurt & some beer styles. Hope that explains that, sorry if its driving shop keepers insane.

Not picking on you , but my opinion is this, this doesn’t go for all products but do for allot AND especially beer.
Beer doesn’t have a best befor date they have a ( translated from dutch to english ) ’ At least good untill’ this means they’re good untill that date but can still be good later ...

I check it open it , if there’s no funky smell or funky colour and it still tastes good i’l just eat it ...
People these days are used to too much luxury, they all keep buying stuff twice the volume of what they need and then have to throw it away because they didn’t eat it before it has goen bad.
This makes me feel kinda sad as allot of people in the world litterally have nothing to eat or drink while we throw tons of food away and flush our toilet with drinkable water. ...

Supermarkets throw away lots of food anyway, I prefer the best available vegetables since whether they are good or bad, I am paying the same & if there is a less prettier looking bottle, fresher lager older geuze, I will get that one. It is not like people will have more to eat in Africa if I drink older IPA’s or buy past BBF-date yoghurt, whether supermarket throws away lots or less, they are getting as much food. If they trow away, starving people will have more work & more food ironically. I can buy past BBF date yoghurt & will be fine but if I have work & don’t go shopping every day it is easier to buy further away BBF date & don’t go every time I want to eat some thing to the supermarket.
Wow this discussion has gone away from the original point.

BelgBeerGeek
beers 1307 º places 38 º 15:43 Fri 7/27/2012

Originally posted by BelgBeerGeek

Supermarkets throw away lots of food anyway, I prefer the best available vegetables since whether they are good or bad, I am paying the same & if there is a less prettier looking bottle, fresher lager older geuze, I will get that one. It is not like people will have more to eat in Africa if I drink older IPA’s or buy past BBF-date yoghurt, whether supermarket throws away lots or less, they are getting as much food. If they trow away, starving people will have more work & more food ironically. I can buy past BBF date yoghurt & will be fine but if I have work & don’t go shopping every day it is easier to buy further away BBF date & don’t go every time I want to eat some thing to the supermarket.
Wow this discussion has gone away from the original point.

True but if everyone will keep thinking like this there will be never a solution ...

sloth
beers 3478 º places 102 º 16:26 Fri 7/27/2012

Stupidity? Jesus.