overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Quadrupel / Abt
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3590   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.42/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

Woogeybeer (0) - - NOV 18, 2019 does not count
UPDATED: NOV 18, 2019 Well, the hype is real. Trying to put away the external factors when tasting/evaluating this beer is difficult, because they are an integral part of the experience. Its relative exclusivity, the confirmation bias that comes with the huge undertaking of buying this beer at the abbey, the feel of the place, the low-key bottle (oh, how I love the unblemished trappist bottle where the cap holds all the information), the crate and last but not least, the ratings and reviews - the hype. The appearance is immaculate. The color of the beer and the look and feel of the foam are just... right. In the Westvleteren glass it looks almost understated, yet oh so inviting. The smell is understated too, maybe a tad too much, as when I first smelled it my stomach wrenched in worry that it would not deliver as promised. Well, it does deliver. It really, really does. Trying to describe the taste in detail is a bit meaningless for me, it is too complex. It has many of the tastes you expect from a dark trappist, dark fruits, nuts and all that other nonsense which I am not good at describing, but what sets this one apart from the rest of the trappists, and other belgian triples and quadruples for that matter, is a taste I can best describe as a soft bitterness. But its not really soft either, its there, and it fits so ... again, right. It gives the beer a dimension I have not experienced in other of its kind. Either way. I realize I could never shake off my aforementioned confirmation bias, but hopefully the description of my experience could convince you to try it, as the hype is most definitely real.

yann28 (42) - - NOV 10, 2019
UPDATED: NOV 10, 2019 Superbe couleur ambrée sombre nez assez alcooleux puis en bouche, c'est toffee et massepain, c'est rond et c'est délicieux pourtant à l'origine je n'apprécie pas ce type de bière mais là c'est très bon !!!

michael_bb (199) - Barcelona, SPAIN - NOV 8, 2019
UPDATED: NOV 8, 2019 I was expecting more of an aroma, as I feel it's not a particularly intense one. Still quite good anyway, with notes of dried fruit, marzipan, toffee, licorice and liquor. Pours dark brown with a nice, thick, light beige head. Taste is mostly sweet and fills your mouth. Slightly too carbonated in my opinion, but it's steel a nice mouthfeel, neither too thick nor too watery. Aftertaste is pretty intense, boozy, with a sweetness that lingers for a while. Pairs well with dried fruit, nuts and chocolate. While I do think it's a very good beer, I also feel like it's not THAT good and it's fame is due mostly to how difficult it used to be to find a bottle (I don't think that's the case anymore). That aside and based only on the quality of the beer, the price I payed is not justified, but as a one time occasion I guess it's worth it.

AleGuru2 (102) - Houten, NETHERLANDS - NOV 4, 2019
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2019 A special beer for a special occasion. Drank it on my birthday with my friends alongside some hard old cheese, nice combination. The beer itself is hard to taste without having in mind that it's supposed to be one of the best beers in the world. It's good for sure, but I don't know if it's the best I've ever had. To sum it up. Looks great, smells OK, tastes great.

croccroc (63) - TURKEY - OCT 31, 2019
UPDATED: OCT 31, 2019 Dark brown colour with hazy and a bit brownish yellow foam on top. Great wooden smell. Surprising contrast in your mouth. Great bitterness on the tongue that comes from 10,2 abv and on the other hand strong sweetness. Really strong beer.

PellicleLees54 (16) - - OCT 28, 2019
UPDATED: NOV 2, 2019 assaggiata all'abazia rimane sempre un'esempio di ottima birra d'abazia belga

Lino78 (381) - POLAND - OCT 27, 2019
UPDATED: OCT 27, 2019 No baaardzo fajne. Gładkie, aromatyczne pijalne i w dodatku z alko którego nie czuć. Wychodzi dopiero w przełyku. Na plus zdecydowanie.

BineChalice28 (32) - - OCT 24, 2019
UPDATED: OCT 24, 2019 Closest to Guinness. Not quite a coffee taste but close to it. I would definitely drink this again! Awesome beer!

rougeau13 (3949) - Katy, Texas, USA - OCT 22, 2019
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2019 Bottle at Au Bon Vieux Temps in Brussels. Very dark with a cream colored head. Dark fruit, toasted caramel, brown sugar. Moderately sweet, well hidden booze, yeasty and a little bitter. Lightly carbonated. Excellent. So many quads are too sweet, too boozy, etc. the beauty here is full flavor with perfect balance.

antoyno (5) - - OCT 21, 2019 does not count
UPDATED: OCT 21, 2019 Aroma is mixed fruits, somewhat sweet. Taste is absolutely incredible. An explosion of complex fruits and flavors. Quite expensive bottle but absolutely worth it (18€). Westvleteren X12 and Rochefort 10 are both in a tie in my opinion. two of my all time favorites.