Any Word on the US Secret Santa?

Reads 1310 • Replies 27 • Started Friday, December 2, 2016 9:49:29 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 01:36 Mon 12/5/2016

Originally posted by radarsock
Originally posted by bursprak
Originally posted by Benzai
Originally posted by Erzengel
The US - Intl. Secret-Santa would be great as well :) Or the (as it was) combined one :)

Yes! +1!
I think the only foreseeable problem is that the U.S. Customs are pretty adamant about not letting alcoholic beverages into the country coming from residential addresses. They either confiscate and destroy the bottles shipped, or, if given notice, you may be able to retrieve the bottles after paying a hefty fee. Though I’ve been told that "illegal beer smuggler" will be put on your file for a while after such an incident and that title follows you for years. The waters are quite murky about how possible this actually is.

It’s illegal for sure. But I have shipped 50+ boxes to the US without any problems at all. Never had a box been stopped in customs... I had a box stopped by Canadian customs but that’s another story :/
You’re lucky. On my third international trade it was confiscated. Received a cute letter from Customs. Maybe I’m just overreacting but it seems unnecessarily risky to me.

Not sure about the risks currently but they’ve always been there. I’ve shipped many boxes as well and only once did it disappear off the radar, only to end up at the receiver’s doorstep weeks later without any notice. I haven’t got the idea that the risks are significantly higher than they used to be.

nimbleprop
beers 15419 º places 134 º 07:06 Mon 12/5/2016

The US - Intl. Secret-Santa would be great as well :) Or the (as it was) combined one :)

Yes! +1!
I think the only foreseeable problem is that the U.S. Customs are pretty adamant about not letting alcoholic beverages into the country coming from residential addresses. They either confiscate and destroy the bottles shipped, or, if given notice, you may be able to retrieve the bottles after paying a hefty fee. Though I’ve been told that "illegal beer smuggler" will be put on your file for a while after such an incident and that title follows you for years. The waters are quite murky about how possible this actually is.

Yes there is risk, but I’ve got a few dozen international trades and never had anything flagged. Overseas traders are also hip to a few tricks that make things go smoother. We can cross all those bridges when we get there.

So far, is everyone interested in International? That would make setting this up very easy.

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 08:37 Mon 12/5/2016

Originally posted by nimbleprop

Yes! +1!

Yes there is risk, but I’ve got a few dozen international trades and never had anything flagged. Overseas traders are also hip to a few tricks that make things go smoother. We can cross all those bridges when we get there.

So far, is everyone interested in International? That would make setting this up very easy.
I deleted a response I posted for the reason that you had just in the previous post touched up on what I was wanting to gain more knowledge of - which was, what is it that the majority readership present actually wants. If the majority rules in favor of an international structure, I just have a few things I would like to address:

1) What are the tricks that overseas traders are privy to? It just seems entirely too random to me as to whose box gets confiscated and whose ultimately doesn’t and that tricks might not help the matter. If a box gets confiscated destined to a US member shipped from a European member, how will it be replaced - or will it even be replaced at all?
2) Kind of a tie-in to the end of the first concern, but replacing boxes within the country it was sent from is much easier than trying to replace boxes internationally: from finding beers they would enjoy, to hoping the Customs doesn’t confiscate a European box a second time, to having your name being flagged, to just the cost of it, it seems like it’s kind of pain in the ass.

If coordinated well, it won’t cost that much to ship internationally and of course it would be thrilling to have obscure smaller European beers to sip by the fire.

Let’s iron out the details and see where it takes us.
I wanted to do a simple, local-based US swap with a focus on obscurer US beer for the holidays but my mind is malleable - and this is still young. I’m all in for an international holiday swap if it’s well orchestrated and thoroughly planned. It actually sounds like a really awesome idea.

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 09:13 Mon 12/5/2016

In the past it was done simultaneously and people could choose when they signed up whether to go international or not. I’d be up for it for sure. Risks have always been there, I’m just not sure whether customs have gotten more strict. I haven’t noticed any changes, but perhaps it also differs from state to state?

nimbleprop
beers 15419 º places 134 º 09:49 Mon 12/5/2016

In the past it was done simultaneously and people could choose when they signed up whether to go international or not.

I think what we are discussing here is a less official Secret Santa then has occurred in years past, unless, official Santa awakens and can organize the usual program.

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 09:50 Mon 12/5/2016

In the past it was done simultaneously and people could choose when they signed up whether to go international or not. I’d be up for it for sure. Risks have always been there, I’m just not sure whether customs have gotten more strict. I haven’t noticed any changes, but perhaps it also differs from state to state?
I’m not sure of the increase of strictness in all the US Customs checkpoints, but the US Customs located just outside of Miami is absolutely ruthless. I don’t know how European packages are determined to be sorted in a particular US Customs branch, but all I do know, or rather, believe, is that depending on where it gets sorted gives you a good idea as to the likelihood of if being delivered to your doorstep.

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 13:42 Mon 12/5/2016

In the past it was done simultaneously and people could choose when they signed up whether to go international or not.

I think what we are discussing here is a less official Secret Santa then has occurred in years past, unless, official Santa awakens and can organize the usual program.
Yes, like seceding from the European Union, we’re essentially the next Brexit.
Good times.

Erzengel
beers 14471 º places 109 º 20:03 Mon 12/5/2016

I remember that last year we had people from Australia who were interested in this as well.
If a Santa is out there, I’ll take part! But I’m also fine with shipping or receiving a parcel to/from other parts of the world than the US.

And I’ve also done lots of trades to the US. - and only one parcel was confiscated...
So hopefully all parcels will get through this time!!

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 03:18 Tue 12/6/2016

There’s been an interesting local swap world edition once as well. Maybe we should look more for something like that? I wonder if there is interest for that from outside the EU?

nimbleprop
beers 15419 º places 134 º 11:18 Thu 12/8/2016

Are folks reading this interested in US to US, or US to International or both? If we’ve got a small enough group, then I will go ahead do the admin end of this. Instead of being a "Secret" Santa, maybe we can just make this a Christmas BIF.

Trading Policy  

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

View Beer Deliveries
New To Trading?
Mail Order Beer
 P  Most Wanted Beer