Beavertown Extravaganza 2018 - tickets now on sale

Reads 13140 • Replies 46 • Started Sunday, November 5, 2017 6:27:52 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 09:10 Mon 11/6/2017

Originally posted by Leighton
As I said, though, I am hopeful - and I do expect - that breweries will have more beer next year.

Well, I've asked them the simple question - will there be more beer and, if so, how much? Let's see if I get a straight answer.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 10:35 Mon 11/6/2017

They've just quoted their blog post back at me (which I'd already seen), so no straight answer:

"There will be 80 bars, 2 taps each and each rotating through beers throughout the session. How many beers, we can’t say right now, but we can say that there will be more beer than ever before..."

Ever before? Did I miss something or was last year the first? I guess it's technically the case though.

80 bars vs 77 bars is not a big increase unless they are getting more beer from some or all of the brewers. 2.31% to be exact.

cgarvieuk
beers 37620 º places 457 º 13:19 Mon 11/6/2017

Originally posted by chriso
They've just quoted their blog post back at me (which I'd already seen), so no straight answer:

"There will be 80 bars, 2 taps each and each rotating through beers throughout the session. How many beers, we can’t say right now, but we can say that there will be more beer than ever before..."

Ever before? Did I miss something or was last year the first? I guess it's technically the case though.

80 bars vs 77 bars is not a big increase unless they are getting more beer from some or all of the brewers. 2.31% to be exact.

Yeah but theres also a decrease in time. So i dont envisage the last hour being as bad.

and on the whole i still really enjoyed it.

cgarvieuk
beers 37620 º places 457 º 13:29 Mon 11/6/2017

Originally posted by Leighton

I'm surprised to hear you say that, Chris. Most of the folks I spoke to were surprised at the length of the session, and bought it could be shorter. It certainly seemed like the long session exacerbated the shortage of beer issue.

Personally, I wish they would make it shorter, sell fewer tickets, and invite fewer breweries. Don't think I'm gonna get my way either (for the latter two points). As I said, though, I am hopeful - and I do expect - that breweries will have more beer next year.

I never heard a single person say it could have been shorter as in that whats they wanted. Onyl as a solution to the lack of beer

Should have gone to Leeds for Hop City or Dark City , thats pretty much it, shorter ,less people fewer breweries. Sadly third pours thhough
But i suspect the London Craft Beer festival is that as well (the people that ran the Edinburgh and Bristol one)

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 13:52 Mon 11/6/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Originally posted by chriso

Yeah but theres also a decrease in time. So i dont envisage the last hour being as bad.

and on the whole i still really enjoyed it.

Since Beavertown seemed to think there was plenty of beer pouring an hour from the end (not my experience on Friday I have to say) then they presumably reckon shortening to by an hour things will be fine, even with the same amount of beer, or a very marginal increase. From a user perspective all that does (possibly) is remove the very frustrating end period. On the other hand, if people have less time they may drink more quickly, especially if they're aware of and weren't too chuffed about, the dry latter stages last time. In which case you'd just be pushing the problem forward an hour.

Beavertown say "We listened to the feedback people gave us after the #BEAVEREX17 and some of the improvements cost some extra £ - That's some of the reasoning behind both the amended ticket price and session length." Since they supposedly don't know how much (if any) extra beer there will be that presumably can't be part of the budget requiring "extra £ improvements". So I wonder what they are.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40515 º places 1239 º 14:07 Mon 11/6/2017

So long as there's a face painting stall again ... that seemed to permanently keep 1% of attendees away from precious beer scoops !!!

evilempire
beers 162 º places 110 º 11:07 Tue 11/7/2017

They could be MPs, so carefully are they avoiding a straight answer. We've tried asking two or three ways now and nowhere do they categorically state there will be more volume of beer. As Chris says, they asserted 30 bars were pouring an hour from the end - that's not my experience unless they're including ones pouring neck oil. I don't know what these improvements are that cost an extra tenner, but unless one of them is enough beer to last the whole session then I won't be returning in 2019!

alovelydrop
beers 70 º places 97 º 11:18 Tue 11/7/2017

If they're being that evasive and they've cut the session time by an hour, I would suggest that there won't be any extra beer.

Desverger
beers 29281 º places 383 º 15:36 Tue 11/7/2017

It is a pity they have not gone for a premium gold (early access) option like for CBC (MBCC now) the last couple of years, does make a difference for those of us who want to hit up those in demand beers before the inevitable massive queues.

Overall enjoyed 2017 as a first experience, although the queues/beer running out early/glass rinsing facilities was disappointing. Will probably give it a miss next year (due to other fests going on close to it) but will certainly be interesting to see how this develops over the coming years.

evilempire
beers 162 º places 110 º 05:08 Wed 11/8/2017

I've taken the plunge for the Saturday, but if the beer runs out again it will be my last. It's a shame, I did really enjoy this year, but at that sort of ticket price running out isn't acceptable - it's not even like a cask festival where leftover beer gets ditched, half-full kegs can be moved to pubs/bars, sure there's enough craaaaaft pubs in that there London that wouldn't turn their nose up at the breweries on offer just cos it's a partial keg