Berliner Weiss with fruit- not a fruit beer?

Reads 17491 • Replies 262 • Started Sunday, May 20, 2012 9:39:42 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Originally posted by Beerlando
I’m going to come right out and say it. Since before anyone else I’ve seen on RB or BA, I’ve been publicly suggesting (er...begging) brewers to can a Berliner Weiss and make it readily available in Florida. This goes back to around 2008 or so, before the "canning revolution" when it was really just Oskar Blues, Surly, and a few other craft brewers who were canning their beers.

I believe that with all this newfound love for Berliner Weiss (fruited or not) and the emergence of canning as a widely accepted form of packaging, we are getting close to my dream becoming a reality.

When Berliner finally hits can, I hereby proclaim said combination to be rightfully dubbed....

BEERLANDO WEISS

FTW. +1

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 15:53 Thu 5/24/2012

Is someone deleting the blank posts as if this was a serious thread?

Maltzilla
beers 38 º 16:19 Thu 5/24/2012

+1 on Florida Weisse !

Maltzilla
beers 38 º 16:28 Thu 5/24/2012

Originally posted by gunhaver
Originally posted by FrumptyDumpty
Black IPA is very different. That was a massive amount of brewers brewing the style across the globe before it was recognized.

correct. and some brewers have claimed to be doing black IPAs since the early 90s.

i imagine a lot of people who have read this thread didn’t even know Floridian brewers were doing this. that wasn’t the case with black IPAs

I can’t imagine this being agreed to on a party-line. Black IPA’s started to get brewed here n there and next thing you know other brewers propagated the idea into other areas. No rule as to how long that propagation should take place. If it starts a new style in 2 years, then so be it. If its IPA to DIPA, or IPA to cascadian, or porter into stout . . .that’s just the way the beeriverse works.

Maltzilla
beers 38 º 16:46 Thu 5/24/2012

Originally posted by cquiroga
Originally posted by flabeer
OK.
So then... Where do new styles originate?
Divine ordination?
No. Consensus is where new styles get their designation.

I’m just saying it’s a bad idea to attached Florida or some geographical connection to that area as a part of a style designation.

And I would also add-- though this may be a semantic quibble-- that I wouldn’t say it’s how "new styles originate" as much as it is how they ESTABLISH THEMSELVES and EVOLVE over a period of time. To that effect, unless there is some kind of revolutionary new brewing practice (adding fruit to an established classic style I personally would not count as "revolutionary"), I’d say it takes longer than a couple of years to establish a new style.

Yeah, bad idea to tag a style to a geographical destination . . . other than Berlin?

mattyb83
beers 737 º places 20 º 16:59 Thu 5/24/2012

Wakefield Weisse.

gkost
beers 1069 º places 32 º 17:01 Thu 5/24/2012

Originally posted by pepsiedcan
Is someone deleting the blank posts as if this was a serious thread?

gkost
beers 1069 º places 32 º 17:02 Thu 5/24/2012

Semi serious though ;)

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 17:08 Thu 5/24/2012

Originally posted by Maltzilla
Originally posted by cquiroga
Originally posted by flabeer
OK.
So then... Where do new styles originate?
Divine ordination?
No. Consensus is where new styles get their designation.

I’m just saying it’s a bad idea to attached Florida or some geographical connection to that area as a part of a style designation.

And I would also add-- though this may be a semantic quibble-- that I wouldn’t say it’s how "new styles originate" as much as it is how they ESTABLISH THEMSELVES and EVOLVE over a period of time. To that effect, unless there is some kind of revolutionary new brewing practice (adding fruit to an established classic style I personally would not count as "revolutionary"), I’d say it takes longer than a couple of years to establish a new style.

Yeah, bad idea to tag a style to a geographical destination . . . other than Berlin?

Not a bad idea in and of itself, but a bad one in this particular case (and in the "Cascadian Dark Ale" case, btw). Berliner Weisse is a style that has existed for hundreds of years, and the world was a very different place back then, in ways that perhaps didn’t make you sound quite as ridiculous for claiming a regional style such as this.

Maltzilla
beers 38 º 17:26 Thu 5/24/2012

Yeah, I know. Prolly a similarly ridiculous thing happened to the poor guy from . . . say . .. Hamburg that came up with a light wheat beer with a mild, lactic, tart finish (circa 1808?) who shared his beer with some dude from Berlin that was passing by. Who then brewed it back home, started pouring woodruff syrup in it and told all his buddies it was a Berliner Weiss.
Just being facetious, but my general point being that these things are not set in stone. And it seems like when/wherever you develop critical mass, thats what gets the name tag. Not good or bad, it just is. And I’m sure people who may have experimented with something similar before will feel like their toes got stepped on. what can ya do? For one, I think the style is somewhat different from the traditional Berliner. Enough to make for a separate style? We’ll find out soon, I’m sure. Should it be called Florida Weisse? Who cares.