Berliner Weiss with fruit- not a fruit beer?

Reads 17471 • Replies 262 • Started Sunday, May 20, 2012 9:39:42 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 21:07 Sun 5/20/2012

If I had to make the call, I’d say "any beer that has fruit added (permanently or temporarily) prior to or during the primary fermentation phase is a fruit beer. Any beer that has the fruit added (permanently or temporarily) after this phase is simply a treatment of another style."

Of course, one could argue that any beer that has the fruit added (permanently or temporarily) prior to or during the secondary fermentation phase is a fruit beer.

I prefer to let the brewer or Josh make the call and just drink a lot of the stuff.

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 21:20 Sun 5/20/2012

Originally posted by vacax
It’s both. Just the website is outdated and should implement a tag system.

Web 2.0 is so 2004. And RateBeer’s user customization options, standards and implementations are even older-school than that.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 22:09 Sun 5/20/2012

Berliner Weisse is a very distinct style. Even if you add kiwi, passionfruit or whatever... if it is still maintains the classic berliner characteristics (lactic, tart, light) to me, that would take precedence over any "fruit" character. That’s just me though.

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 05:12 Mon 5/21/2012

The brewers should make the call, their intent trumps all.

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 05:26 Mon 5/21/2012

Originally posted by JMerritt
Originally posted by GT2
Originally posted by drowland
Originally posted by GT2
Seems a bit ridiculous to me for a beer called ______ Berliner Weisse to not be in the Berliner Weisse category.

This is indeed a fine line. There are hundreds or probably thousands of beers out there like pumpkin porters, raspberry wheat, and so on and so forth into oblivion that you would have labeled as "porter" and "wheat beer"?

BCS Bramble then should be moved to Fruit Beer

Actually, it should. The fruit far overpowers the bourbon stout. Actually, can we classify it as cough syrup?
BCS Bramble would then be in the same category as 3F Framboos, which would also have to be re-categorized as a fruit beer, along with a boatload of Cantiloons.

JW77
beers 22 º 08:55 Mon 5/21/2012

Originally posted by flabeer
I’d say there’s a fine line between a "Fruit" Berliner Weisse and a malt based wine cooler.

how could you possibly say there is a fine line between these two lol. Your right a fruited berliner weisse is just one step from being a Bartle&James wine cooler.

To go beyond that I have to say that I agree with the thought as long as the main style still shows through in the flavor profile and the fruit is used to accentuate the beer then to me it is still a Berliner Weisse.

daknole
beers 11050 º places 464 º 09:34 Mon 5/21/2012

A wine cooler? WTF kind of comment is that? Have you even bothered to try the types of berliners that are being produced lately? There is no sweetness or sugary component to them at all. They are quite far from a wine cooler, in fact they lean more towards a sour ale if anything(in flavor)...try some before you start throwing around silly comparisons.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 09:39 Mon 5/21/2012

Originally posted by daknole
A wine cooler? WTF kind of comment is that? Have you even bothered to try the types of berliners that are being produced lately? There is no sweetness or sugary component to them at all. They are quite far from a wine cooler, in fact they lean more towards a sour ale if anything(in flavor)...try some before you start throwing around silly comparisons.

Sounds like you haven’t tried a craft wine cooler lately.

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 09:45 Mon 5/21/2012

Originally posted by pepsiedcan

Sounds like you haven’t tried a craft wine cooler lately.
www.winecooler.com isn’t working! Wazzup??

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 10:05 Mon 5/21/2012

Dak, he didn’t specify who, but Bob is correct. When beers like this:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/berliner-kindl-weisse-tropical/22828/

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/berliner-kindl-weisse-mit-schuss-schwarze-johannisbeere/87508/1/3/

are classified as a Berliner, it sort of proves his point, especially when a long time rater had this to say about it:

The aroma is a sweet pineapple aroma with slight hints of orange - definatly not a beer aroma. The flavor is way too sweet and acidic - not a beer taste - rather like a sodapop.