Brewing Schedule for 2013

Reads 2323 • Replies 40 • Started Wednesday, January 9, 2013 6:25:37 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 08:35 Wed 1/9/2013

I’m ready to tap a IIPA I brewed last month for the weekend. I used a blend of pilsner and pale malts with a touch of Munich and Rye. All Columbus and willamette hops with a little citra and galaxy in the dry hop. The pull I took yesterday reminds me a lot of Lagunitas sucks. Should be a good one to celebrate a 49er victory over the Pack!

I did my first sour a couple months ago. I spent the previous six months or so building up a massive starter with bottle dregs only. Some of the dregs included beatification, supplication,hops n roses, fantasia, blend love, golden blend, extra sour, calabaza Blanca, cuvée de champions, and some more I’m probably forgetting. I added a little starter wort with each dregs addition. When I decanted the liquid after crash cooling, it tasted amazing. Kinda like beatification with an extra depth of funk. If the beer comes out half as good as the starter I’ll be very pleased!

Also aging right now is an impy stout thats loosely based on the recipe for Kate the great that was posted on homebrewtalk directly from Todd Mott. I’ll be racking it onto 2 ounces of oak cubes soaked in Elijah Craig in a couple weeks. Early results are promising.

As for my next brew, I’m thinking of taking my first stab at Berliner Weiss. If I brew in February, it should be ready for the hot summer months. I want to age it on some fruit, but I’m not sure what yet. Not sure about which technique either.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 09:11 Wed 1/9/2013

Originally posted by joeneugs
As for my next brew, I’m thinking of taking my first stab at Berliner Weiss. If I brew in February, it should be ready for the hot summer months. I want to age it on some fruit, but I’m not sure what yet. Not sure about which technique either.

For Berliner Weisse, I used this recipe - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/wall-crasher-234475/

Brew Day September - http://adam-jackson.net/beer/homebrewing-my-first-sour/
Tasting
Tasting in December - http://adam-jackson.net/beer/homebrewing-sampling-my-latest-batches-now-that-fermentation-has-slowed-stopped/
Carboy full of fruit / pellicle - http://adam-jackson.net/beer/homebrewing-racking-some-recent-beers-to-kegs-and-some-initial-thoughts/
Completed carbonated beer - http://adam-jackson.net/beer/homebrewing-my-strawberry-rhubarb-berliner-weisse/

My girlfriend loved the Strawberry Rhubarb Wit that Throwback in NH brought to the Southern NH brew festival so I promised to use those two in a beer.

good luck!

cbkschubert
beers 2901 º places 44 º 09:43 Wed 1/9/2013

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Brewing only every other month, it doesn’t even seem worth posting, but I think it a decent topic of discussion.

January: Belma DIPA w/ Citra and Amarillo

Brewing a Belma single hop IPA today. Really looking forward to it.

I hope to brew at least once a month. I plan on brewing an IPA every other batch with a few lagers, stouts or porters thrown in between. I just plan on brewing what I like. No more goofy stuff.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 20:34 Wed 1/9/2013

Malt Liquor (Imperial Pale Lager) ready to keg.
Flanders Red fermenting now.
Will probably go for a single-hop IPA next.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 20:39 Wed 1/9/2013

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by adamjackson
I’m confident my first go at a lambic is going to suck

Absolutely no reason for it to. Read The Mad Fermentationist and the Burgundian Babble Belt before you brew it and you’ll be more than OK.

Truth. I’ve only done one and I’ll take it over commercial gueuze half the time. Be obsessive about researching recipe and technique and things should be fine. And be patient!

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 20:41 Wed 1/9/2013

Next month, I’ll probably bust out a dark mild ale with a lot of aroma hops. No plans after that though.

temporrari
beers 400 º places 12 º 20:51 Wed 1/9/2013

Well, I don’t have a definite plan, and it almost always changes whenever I plan out very far in advance. I brewed a lot of IPA in 2012 (10 of 14 batches), and I suspect I’ll brew a lot in 2013. Maybe not quite as much, though. My first batch of the year will be a Chinook/Simcoe/Citra IPA.

After that, I am not sure what it will be exactly, but hopefully a saison. I’m brewing that just as soon as it gets warm enough to keep temps up without running my furnace. If that goes well, I will almost certainly brew a second batch after another IPA (probably Centennial/Simcoe/Citra). I plan on doing a Dunkel at some point, and likely a tripel. That’s three styles I have yet to brew. My goal is to at least brew those, along with my IPAs and usual end of the year dubbel and stout. I’m also thinking about making a hard cider, and I just started my first mead this past weekend. I plan on at least another mead sometime this year.

BMan1113VR
beers 7929 º places 423 º 23:07 Wed 1/9/2013

Originally posted by adamjackson. I have so many great local IPAs to drink from Hill Farmstead and Lawsons that brewing my own IPAs isn’t as much fun.
As much as I love HF IPAs, there is always a worth while reason to have homebrewed hoppy beers on tap if you do them right.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 07:19 Thu 1/10/2013

Originally posted by BMan1113VR
Originally posted by adamjackson. I have so many great local IPAs to drink from Hill Farmstead and Lawsons that brewing my own IPAs isn’t as much fun.
As much as I love HF IPAs, there is always a worth while reason to have homebrewed hoppy beers on tap if you do them right.

With control & money being the two main factors, imo.

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 18:35 Thu 1/10/2013

Kegged:

Ginger/Lemongrass Wit: One of my regular rotation brews

Equatorial Stout: Foreign Extra Stout w/ cocoa nibs, coffee, and Thai chiles. Decent base beer, the flavor accents need some ratio adjustment.

Fermenting:

Amber with loads of adjunct, toasted sesame, sunflower, and caraway seeds.

Freeze Distilled Belgian Barleywine, aging on bourbon-soaked oak spirals

Standard cider, soured on various 3F dregs. About 18 months in, will be bottling in the next month or so, tasting fantastic.

Planned:

Imperial stout w/ maple sap for strike. Some great advise thanks to the thread on the subject, looking forward to this one.

Fruit bomb, the lady got a taste of NG Belgian Red and has been asking for something similar ever since.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer