Dogfish Head wants user reviews deleted from RB

Reads 14803 • Replies 140 • Started Monday, June 5, 2017 4:17:45 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 17:58 Tue 6/6/2017

Why would ratebeer delete breweries?

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 18:06 Tue 6/6/2017

Yeah. Delete one and you’ll have to deal with an avalanche. One has to know that other breweries are watching to see what transpires.

arminjewell
beers 9756 º places 10 º 19:39 Tue 6/6/2017

Originally posted by jtclockwork
Originally posted by Cavie
This would be the only reason I would leave RB; if my reviews were deleted or altered in any way.
Same.

+2

rennat42
beers 5366 º places 205 º 21:03 Tue 6/6/2017

Originally posted by arminjewell
Originally posted by Cavie
This would be the only reason I would leave RB; if my reviews were deleted or altered in any way.
Same.

+2

+3

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 22:30 Tue 6/6/2017

I posted this on the long thread, but it’s more appropriate here:

It is absolutely crucial that RateBeer refuse to kowtow to the absurd demands from grandstanding brewery owners to remove entries from the site. That would represent an unacceptable abdication of editorial integrity, and that (much more than the sale of a minority stake) is the sort of thing that would make me contemplate leaving this site. I think Joe and the admins should institute a clear policy that RateBeer will not ever let a brewery owner or employee influence it to remove or fail to add an eligible entry.

bytemesis
beers 15355 º places 1601 º 22:48 Tue 6/6/2017

Originally posted by Ibrew2or3
Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
The way I see it, there are some ethical concerns deep down. The algorithm used to calculate ratings is undisclosed and could, over time, be altered. Not saying it will, but if something like that were to happen, it would be a big issue. The other concern that I see is that ratebeer is quoted very frequently with their annual awards and rankings of beers and breweries. I understand concern with regards to that as well. Awards and rankings based on a secret algorithm could prove to be problematic. Perhaps disclosure of the algorithm would be helpful? Just a thought.

Let’s say somehow the data is messed with. Wouldn’t fishy awards and honors to breweries tied in someway to ABI be really obvious? A lot of users here know who’s making the killer beer.

The only thing "secret" is the Beyesian weight for beers with a low number of ratings, and you could basically figure it out pretty quickly if you really wanted to.

Naven
beers 1000 º places 109 º 01:02 Wed 6/7/2017

Originally posted by markextrae
Cantillon follows aswell now

As did Mother Earth, today. Not nearly as large as the others, but still a giant in the SoCal market:

Like our fellow brethren working hard each and every day to support and build true "indie" craft, we were disappointed to hear of the investment by AB/InBev in ratebeer.com.

As such, we join the example and lead set by Dogfish Head and we have formally and respectfully requested ratebeer.com to remove any and all reviews, references and mentions of Mother Earth Brew Co. and our associated brands from their site.

We encourage all fans and supporters of craft to move their reviews to other sites that demonstrate journalistic integrity and are not subject to influence by outside ownership that is contrary to true indie craft. #indiebeer #craftbeer #craftnotcrafty #truetothis #truetilldeath

Kevin Hopkins
Vice President
Mother Earth Brew Co.

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 01:08 Wed 6/7/2017

It’s a sad day when I’m more pissed off at a bunch of craft breweries than InBev.

CMUBEERMAN
beers 458 º places 50 º 01:28 Wed 6/7/2017

So many lolz.

radagast83
beers 12460 º places 427 º 01:43 Wed 6/7/2017

It’s a sad day when I’m more pissed off at a bunch of craft breweries than InBev.
+1

It’s made me re-think support I’ve given a number of breweries, not because I’m blindly supporting RB (I’m not), but because their reactions are so over-the-top (we’re apparently all "beer journalists" now and RB was the paper of record before some conglomerate got a minority share of it) and full of fear mongering on stuff that they clearly have no clue about that it’s hard to take them seriously anymore.

I’m not going to be spiteful and go change every single one of my ratings like some petulant child, but I’m going to take pause and consider if my ratings are being influenced by nostalgia or their "image." I know in the past I’ll be perfectly honest that I’ve been a lot more forgiving for a number of pretty mediocre brews from some of these guys (mostly from 2005-2015 or so, but still). Never again.

World is big enough to avoid people who, in my opinion, are simply riding the wave of InBev hate to prop up their breweries a bit. In Sam’s case it’s a huge grudge because his show got cancelled, but the rest are trying to pull in the same kind of support.

I can’t wait until the big guys invest in Untappd sometime in the next year or two, assuming they don’t already have some kind of stake in the company already. That’d be the biggest troll of the craft beer world for 2017.