El Bulli Closing?

Reads 3583 • Replies 37 • Started Friday, July 29, 2011 8:42:02 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

blutt59
beers 6999 º places 210 º 08:42 Fri 7/29/2011

Was this really the best restaurant in the world or just hype?

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 08:48 Fri 7/29/2011

Originally posted by blutt59
Was this really the best restaurant in the world or just hype?

Depends on who you ask, but most believe that it was the best restaurant in the world. They spent 6mths out of the year creating the new menu, basically completely throwing everything out the window each season. The restaurant was never profitable. But again, it depends on what you’re looking for in a restaurant. I’m sad I never had the chance to eat there...

blutt59
beers 6999 º places 210 º 09:03 Fri 7/29/2011

I had always wanted to try it as well. 40 item degustation menu sounds crazy even if half are whipped or foamed

Beer5000
beers 10672 º places 284 º 09:04 Fri 7/29/2011

Noma got the highest rating this year. http://www.theworlds50best.com/awards/1-50-winners/noma

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 09:38 Fri 7/29/2011

Originally posted by Beer2000
Noma got the highest rating this year. http://www.theworlds50best.com/awards/1-50-winners/noma

True, but what Noma does is heavily influenced by what Adria started. Ferran and Albert invented what is essentially a new cuisine, with their influence being evindent in restaurants the world over. This along with the straggeringly consistent quality is why El Bulli the best. Sadly, I too have never eaten there and am basing my opions solely on people whom I trust that have dined there and the evidence of their sphere of influence.

Christian
beers 17377 º places 278 º 09:58 Fri 7/29/2011

I hear they put a lot of Rare in their food

ucusty
beers 2692 º places 52 º 09:59 Fri 7/29/2011

Originally posted by Christian
I hear they put a lot of Rare in their food

Beerlando
beers 3343 º places 70 º 10:53 Fri 7/29/2011

I think it depends on how you define "best". Taste is a very subjective thing, but it is hard to argue with the number of badass chefs who trained under Adria who have gone on to create their own stellar restaurants.

This article says alot: http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/14/chefs-assess-el-bullis-legacy/

When guys like David Chang, George Mendes, and Dan Barber start throwing praise around, people should listen.

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 11:06 Fri 7/29/2011

I have a friend here in LA who had a reservation for two people last October. He invited me to join him.

I tried to pull together the ridiculous plan to make the trek out there, but with two little ones at home (one being a son who was not even 1 year old at the time), I just couldn’t leave the wife hanging for the amount of time that I thought was worthwhile to make it a reasonable trip (like 5-7 days). And I couldn’t justify the expense (ballpark $2000+) for a more scaled-back trip of about 3 days JUST to do El Bulli. So I passed up on the invitation from my friend.

Unfortunately, my friend experienced some financial difficulty of his own around the time I told him I wouldn’t be able to join him (I gave him about 3 months’ notice, which was what he asked of me). He had been banking on being able to spread the considerable travel expenses among TWO people instead of just having to pay for everything himself, and he wanted to be able to share the experience with someone else, rather than just going alone. He was (somehow) unable to find anyone who was interested and available (and crazy enough?) to take my place, and my friend had to CANCEL his reservation at El Bulli.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say this whole ordeal is probably one of the biggest regrets of my life.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 11:09 Fri 7/29/2011

Originally posted by cquiroga
I have a friend here in LA who had a reservation for two people last October. He invited me to join him.

I tried to pull together the ridiculous plan to make the trek out there, but with two little ones at home (one being a son who was not even 1 year old at the time), I just couldn’t leave the wife hanging for the amount of time that I thought was worthwhile to make it a reasonable trip (like 5-7 days). And I couldn’t justify the expense (ballpark $2000+) for a more scaled-back trip of about 3 days JUST to do El Bulli. So I passed up on the invitation from my friend.

Unfortunately, my friend experienced some financial difficulty of his own around the time I told him I wouldn’t be able to join him (I gave him about 3 months’ notice, which was what he asked of me). He had been banking on being able to spread the considerable travel expenses among TWO people instead of just having to pay for everything himself, and he wanted to be able to share the experience with someone else, rather than just going alone. He was (somehow) unable to find anyone who was interested and available (and crazy enough?) to take my place, and my friend had to CANCEL his reservation at El Bulli.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say this whole ordeal is probably one of the biggest regrets of my life.

That sucks. It’s strange, I think I’d have had a much easier time rationalizing the expense of flying to Spain to eat at el Bulli than I would of paying the $700 for two people to go a couple miles from my house to Alinea. Funny how those sorts of things work out, ya know?

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 11:27 Fri 7/29/2011

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by cquiroga

That sucks. It’s strange, I think I’d have had a much easier time rationalizing the expense of flying to Spain to eat at el Bulli than I would of paying the $700 for two people to go a couple miles from my house to Alinea. Funny how those sorts of things work out, ya know?

Yeah, I hear ya. I think it’s about the "life experience" that you can have going on an absurd adventure like that, flying thousands of miles and going to a completely different culture, embracing the absurdity as much as possible.

Still, as far as the food is concerned, while I’m not suggesting El Bulli was in any way matched by the other experiences I had last fall in its stead, I softened the blow by spending more like $100 to eat some fantastic meals at places in LA like LudoBites, Animal, and The Dining Room at the Langham. Great adventures, each and every time.