El Bulli Closing?

Reads 3584 • Replies 37 • Started Friday, July 29, 2011 8:42:02 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

AcctError62185
places 1 º 13:01 Mon 8/29/2011

Originally posted by GarrettB
Whether or not El Bulli was the best restaurant in the world, it seemed that it collected more wealthy/elite braggadocio than it did folks with genuinely good palates and the writing skills to talk abput the visit.

That said, there are probably a lot of restaurants out there that at least touch El Bulli’s innovation and quality.

Do you also believe that there are a lot of affordable sports cars or perhaps world class undiscovered painters?

There are a bazillion midcult trendy places in the world, but very very few world class places making great food. Quite frankly I am becoming more and more convinced that the best food out there right now, if you can’t afford a 300 buck meal that is, is to be had at the low end, even at some mobile food stand/truck.

Christ there is a lot of bad expensive food out there right now. Just because it is unique doesn’t make it taste good

ucusty
beers 2692 º places 52 º 13:14 Mon 8/29/2011

Originally posted by Tibeerious
Whether or not El Bulli was the best restaurant in the world, it seemed that it collected more wealthy/elite braggadocio than it did folks with genuinely good palates and the writing skills to talk abput the visit.

That said, there are probably a lot of restaurants out there that at least touch El Bulli’s innovation and quality.

Do you also believe that there are a lot of affordable sports cars or perhaps world class undiscovered painters?

There are a bazillion midcult trendy places in the world, but very very few world class places making great food. Quite frankly I am becoming more and more convinced that the best food out there right now, if you can’t afford a 300 buck meal that is, is to be had at the low end, even at some mobile food stand/truck.

Christ there is a lot of bad expensive food out there right now. Just because it is unique doesn’t make it taste good

exactly. heres one: Ive been to
http://www.alinea-restaurant.com/

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 13:35 Mon 8/29/2011

I guess it comes down to whether you want your gazpacho to be crystal clear, or if you don’t mind when it comes out red.

ucusty
beers 2692 º places 52 º 13:38 Mon 8/29/2011

Originally posted by cquiroga
I guess it comes down to whether you want your gazpacho to be crystal clear, or if you don’t mind when it comes out red.

I like both. But tomato water is the TITS

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 14:35 Mon 8/29/2011

Originally posted by ucusty

exactly. heres one: Ive been to
http://www.alinea-restaurant.com/

Grant Achatz staged at el bulli, iirc. Without Ferran Adria, we wouldn’t have the Grant Achatz that has created Alinea. That was his inspiration.

GarrettB
beers 2459 º places 24 º 14:45 Mon 8/29/2011

I’m not sure an ’affordable sports car’ fits the analogy here, but otherwise we’re on the same page here. El Bulli collected a cult of journalists and privileged diners who wore their experience like a gaudy tie - they, and not you, ate at El Bulli. Undoubtedly the food was superb, but I really do believe that there are many, many other restaurants that can make the same claim to quality, even if it isn’t the same claim to fame. Simply put, El Bulli got caught in a positive feedback loop of publicity and exclusion. It feeds on itself, until the number 2 or number 3 restaurant have levels of publicity that do not match their relative quality.

AcctError62185
places 1 º 03:33 Tue 8/30/2011

I’m not sure an ’affordable sports car’ fits the analogy here, but otherwise we’re on the same page here. El Bulli collected a cult of journalists and privileged diners who wore their experience like a gaudy tie - they, and not you, ate at El Bulli. Undoubtedly the food was superb, but I really do believe that there are many, many other restaurants that can make the same claim to quality, even if it isn’t the same claim to fame. Simply put, El Bulli got caught in a positive feedback loop of publicity and exclusion. It feeds on itself, until the number 2 or number 3 restaurant have levels of publicity that do not match their relative quality.

I agree that virtually everything has become "fashion" merchandise these days and food is certainly no exception. The internet should be able to counter this trend but I fear the internet simply intensifies the whole concept with internet "buzz" being more important than any other aspect when it comes to popularity.

Of course we are not immune from this trend right here where certain beers seem to collect a cultlike status that far exceeds said beers(or in some cases like sours in my opinion whole beer styles) own merits

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 14:20 Wed 10/12/2011

Necro’d

Two items of interest here. First, in the first quarter of 2012, Next in Chicago will be doing a 20 course meal themed on Ferran Adria’s 20 years at el bulli, one course for each year.

Second, el bulli will be re-opening in 2014...

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 14:37 Wed 10/12/2011

I wish I lived in Chicago so I could spend all of my money at Alinea and Next instead of at LudoBites.

The "new" El Bulli is going to be different from the restaurant they’ve been operating over the years, isn’t it? I mean, same place, but different business model and whatnot. At least, that’s what I’ve heard. Obviously, a lot could happen between now and then. . .

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 14:58 Wed 10/12/2011

Hope to GOD I can get tickets to Next for the El Bulli inspired dishes.