fuckin love ciders omg

Reads 2017 • Replies 37 • Started Wednesday, August 2, 2017 7:32:22 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

SinH4
beers 15468 º places 416 º 04:51 Sat 8/5/2017

Originally posted by Maakun
It seems French ciders only get in the top 50 for the style when they get exported to the US, and most of those are not even close to the best French stuff...

Do you have other recommendations? I like Dupont, but that one’s the only not-so commercial French one I’ve had.

DutchDrebus
beers 6996 º places 47 º 04:31 Sun 8/6/2017

I hate cider because big cider is trying to take shelfspace from micro beer breweries.

I have had some great Spanish ciders lately. They are amazing. I really enjoy my French ciders. I do however love my English Scrumpy Cider.
As for US ciders? Overrated alcopops in my experience.

JohnGalt1
beers 1721 º places 2 º 16:38 Mon 8/7/2017

The RBSG in Boise had a few cider stops. I was amazed how popular they were. Meriwether is doing some cool stuff... and we also did a Basque cider tasting with 8 different bottles. People really seemed to dig it.

Maakun
beers 10309 º places 319 º 08:35 Wed 8/9/2017

Originally posted by SinH4
Originally posted by Maakun
It seems French ciders only get in the top 50 for the style when they get exported to the US, and most of those are not even close to the best French stuff...

Do you have other recommendations? I like Dupont, but that one’s the only not-so commercial French one I’ve had.

There’s just so many. I’ve been adding lots of ciders I’ve randomly found to the database, and there’s lots more with just one or two ratings. Some of those were spectacular, like https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/guy-jaffre-cidre-de-la-foret-fouesnant-demi-sec/444269/285335/

The thing is that there’s often lots of bottle variation as well.

Maakun
beers 10309 º places 319 º 08:40 Wed 8/9/2017

Like this one that is almost top 50 (this cidery has one of the few French ones in the top 50): https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cidres-bigouden--le-brun-organic-cidre/374023/

I’m the only European rater of this it seems and I wasn’t super impressed, but lately I got some great ratings. Might not even be the same stuff they export (at least the label is not the same), it might have improved, or there might be bottle variation. I just wish more people would rate ciders and add them to the database so it’s more reliable and the good ones are easier to find.

Originally posted by DutchDrebus
I hate cider because big cider is trying to take shelfspace from micro beer breweries.

You should try a Dickens Cider then.