GBBF - What will it be like?

Reads 4697 • Replies 60 • Started Sunday, May 27, 2012 3:48:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 09:39 Sun 5/27/2012

Probably wont make any day this year as have tickets for olympics on trade day and cant be bothered with the crowds everywhere on the next few days. As for the future, i will wait and see. I like Thomas idea of us putting forward a suggested venue as i expect the Camra national executive takes a lot of notice of this thread and will react accordingly

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 10:14 Sun 5/27/2012

The event has to be in London. The turnout would be bollox anywhere else and they’d lose money, think about the brewers who help fund the event and that’ll make sence.

I hadnt thought about the Excel, but yea that would work. I dont think ambience matters to much, as unless its outside it’s going to have to be a big metal box.

bobinlondon
beers 1298 º places 14 º 10:46 Sun 5/27/2012

If they utilise the potential space more intelligently, there is no good reason why it shouldn’t stay at Olympia.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 10:48 Sun 5/27/2012

Originally posted by evergreen0199
NEC Birmingham would appease the festival goers who travel down from the Midlands/North.

Yeah but it’s a shitty barn in the middle of nowhere. As we all know, (and complain about frequently) GBBF is, rightly or wrongly, not aimed primarily at the sort of people who would make the effort to go the the NEC. CAMRA wants the opportunity to preach to the unconverted and casual visitors. The profile of the attendees at GBBF is massively different to that of any other CAMRA festival, which is exactly what CAMRA wants. Didn’t we have an almost identical discussion a few months back?

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 10:56 Sun 5/27/2012

Shall we nominate and motion an alternative CAMRA venue signed by Rate Beer letter?

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 10:58 Sun 5/27/2012

Olympia is apparently much extended on its original size and should be sufficient for future years needs, its just reduced this year as half of it is being used by the Chinese Media team during the olympics.

Can confirm what Craig has already said re BSF bar managers and overall GBBF manager. Have applied for trade ticket but doubt if I’ll be able to get there if I’m still living in NI.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 11:05 Sun 5/27/2012

Originally posted by tdtm82
Shall we nominate and motion an alternative CAMRA venue signed by Rate Beer letter?

Thought you weren’t a CAMRA member Thomas.

cgarvieuk
beers 37625 º places 457 º 11:07 Sun 5/27/2012

Originally posted by Stephanos
Olympia is apparently much extended on its original size and should be sufficient for future years needs, its just reduced this year as half of it is being used by the Chinese Media team during the olympics.

Oh thats interesting, i had heard that Olympia was only 1 year and future was to be determined.

but i didnt know that there would be more space available in future years.

and im with Chris. GBBF isnt aimed at CAMRA members, but a much wider audience.

evergreen0199
beers 5930 º 11:17 Sun 5/27/2012

Originally posted by bobinlondon
If they utilise the potential space more intelligently, there is no good reason why it shouldn’t stay at Olympia.

You are right Bob. They have a smaller hall adjoining the Grand Hall at Olympia and I don’t think that I ever saw that in use at GBBF over the years. Maybe they will see how this years fest goes and perhaps bed in for a few more years. It will still be a squeeze though!

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 12:49 Sun 5/27/2012

Originally posted by tdtm82

You mad on the glue/chico again?