GBBF - What will it be like?

Reads 4702 • Replies 60 • Started Sunday, May 27, 2012 3:48:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 12:58 Sun 5/27/2012

Originally posted by tdtm82
Shall we nominate and motion an alternative CAMRA venue signed by Rate Beer letter?

i think thats a really good idea thomas. then Camra would have to listen to us. would you like to start the petition? Not sue joet would countenance having official ratebeer backing but why dont you beermail him and ask? i am sure lots of my local Camra members look at ratebeer on a dailyy if not hourly basis.

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 13:20 Sun 5/27/2012

If we route it through e-petitoin gov then we can have a formal debate about it in the house of lords.

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 13:27 Sun 5/27/2012

Oh yes good idea Thomas I am sure we will get the 100k signatures we require. anyone any idea of active uk ratebeer users? we must have a couple hundred thou for sure. open it out to our european visitors. are they elligible to sign it being non uk voters? either way i think we are onto a winner here!!!

bobinlondon
beers 1298 º places 14 º 16:05 Sun 5/27/2012

If we route it through e-petitoin gov then we can have a formal debate about it in the house of lords.

While we’re at it, is the House of Lords a big enough venue to host the 2013 GBBF? I think you may be onto something here Thomas

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 02:29 Mon 5/28/2012

Best post ever.

Christian
beers 17315 º places 278 º 05:00 Mon 5/28/2012

Originally posted by madmitch76
Talking to Anders and Lars (Half the Swedish Drinking Team) - they are not coming to do their usual sterling job behind the foreign bar this year. Reason being that the foreign bar will be much reduced.

My excuse is the Olympics in itself. Too many people, too much crowded tube and bus rides. Instead I’ll make a better effort to finally visit one of the winter time festivals

Christian
beers 17315 º places 278 º 05:09 Mon 5/28/2012

Wait, they’re tearing down Earls Court? How large is the area? Enough for, say, a 60,000 seater stadium with full Premier League standard facilities? My Russian buddy Roman might be interested

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 07:15 Mon 5/28/2012

Actually this is the one year it should be located away from London. I can’t think how expensive it will be for hotels now with the Olympics. Maybe an alternative venue in Sheffield or Brum wouldn’t got a miss so they can still hold capacity and foreign bars as well.

reakt
beers 959 º places 7 º 08:54 Mon 5/28/2012

Actually this is the one year it should be located away from London. I can’t think how expensive it will be for hotels now with the Olympics. Maybe an alternative venue in Sheffield or Brum wouldn’t got a miss so they can still hold capacity and foreign bars as well.

Think it’s a bit late now m8...

I’m not the biggest advocate of the Olympics fiasco but hey, if it benefits us in the long run I’m willing to endure (not that I have much of a choice, lol)...Much the same with GBBF. Might not be the best year for us enthusiasts but assuming we can draw in some new fans for UK beer while they’re in town, all the better for our craft beer scene...I only hope that CAMRA have put some extra effort in with this in mind and with a smaller venue may have an easier time with quality control.
Tbh, I’m assuming it’ll be much the same as previous years at Earls Court, just more cramped. I’d also like to think that the downsize would have a positive effect on selection and Ken, good point, I to would hope that the tombola etc would be reduced in favor of beer...Guess we’ll see

DanielBrown
beers 4668 º places 360 º 14:58 Mon 5/28/2012

Originally posted by harrisoni
Oh yes good idea Thomas I am sure we will get the 100k signatures we require. anyone any idea of active uk ratebeer users? we must have a couple hundred thou for sure. open it out to our european visitors. are they elligible to sign it being non uk voters? either way i think we are onto a winner here!!!

I think we’ll struggle to get the 100k. Some UK Ratebeer members are a bit apathetic.