GBBF - What will it be like?

Reads 4698 • Replies 60 • Started Sunday, May 27, 2012 3:48:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DanielBrown
beers 4668 º places 360 º 15:01 Mon 5/28/2012

Originally posted by evergreen0199
I guess this years fest will be ’incredibly cramped’. I still can’t get my head around the fact that they are going to demolish Earls Court Exhibition Centre next year, the building is iconic and should be preserved, I love the place. As usual, the UK only thinks about ££££ greedy developers have screwed up so many things in this country. GBBF has been great the last few years but it’ll probably end up in the NEC in Brum or some grim place north of Watford.

’Some grim place north of Watford’ - I hope this is a reference to Luton and not Birmingham or Leicester. If anyone disses the Midlands, I will personally send a vengeful army down South, made up solely of large women called Wendy.

evergreen0199
beers 5930 º 15:17 Mon 5/28/2012

It’s been held in Leeds and Birmingham before. Last time I went to Brum was to see a Birmingham City v Spurs match, I came away unscathed.

cgarvieuk
beers 37625 º places 457 º 21:28 Mon 5/28/2012

Originally posted by DanielBrown
Originally posted by evergreen0199
I guess this years fest will be ’incredibly cramped’. I still can’t get my head around the fact that they are going to demolish Earls Court Exhibition Centre next year, the building is iconic and should be preserved, I love the place. As usual, the UK only thinks about ££££ greedy developers have screwed up so many things in this country. GBBF has been great the last few years but it’ll probably end up in the NEC in Brum or some grim place north of Watford.

’Some grim place north of Watford’ - I hope this is a reference to Luton and not Birmingham or Leicester. If anyone disses the Midlands, I will personally send a vengeful army down South, made up solely of large women called Wendy.

The Midlands Suck.

Feel free to send the Army SOUTH

FatPhil
beers 26062 º places 995 º 03:17 Tue 5/29/2012

Taking a slightly different tack - why does there need to be a monstrously huge GBBF at all? If you want a festival for the everyman, then it should be in his town or nearest metropolis - there’s no need for anything supposedly "national" that takes place in only one place. Long live the locals, that’s what I say.

cgarvieuk
beers 37625 º places 457 º 04:36 Tue 5/29/2012

Originally posted by FatPhil
Taking a slightly different tack - why does there need to be a monstrously huge GBBF at all? If you want a festival for the everyman, then it should be in his town or nearest metropolis - there’s no need for anything supposedly "national" that takes place in only one place. Long live the locals, that’s what I say.

come on now, you must know theres a HUGE number of festivals.

GBBF is mostly a promotional event. But for us Beer enthusiasts, its only its size that allows the range of Beers BSF provides

Fin
beers 17274 º places 1653 º 23:35 Wed 5/30/2012

Originally posted by FatPhil

The metropolis of Merton it is then! However in all seriousness we have discussed this many times before and whilst I would like to see it more centrally located or moved around the country like it used to be when I was a younger member it probably ain’t going to happen. I have also been swayed by the arguments of others whose opinions I respect on here and the fact is like it or lump it London is ’where it is at’ for many people visiting this country and GBBF is certainly not just aimed at the CAMRA members up and down the country.

Have to say I am writing this from a campsite in Innsbruck, Austria with the most stunning mountain views. I needed a distraction from looking at the ominous BBC weather website which appears to show that those stunning mountain views will be obliterated by quite a lot of the wet stuff over the next few days.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 00:48 Thu 5/31/2012

Servus, und herzlich willkommen auf dem Kontinent, Fin!

Fin
beers 17274 º places 1653 º 01:47 Thu 5/31/2012

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Servus, und herzlich willkommen auf dem Kontinent, Fin!

Servus!

Just had breakfast marvelling at the views and looking at what appeared to be Golden Eagle(s) circling overhead, certainly looked to big to be Buzzards but a little too distant to be absolutely certain though. Cycling to Branger Brau in a bit, which is a brewpub on this site that doesn’t seem to have been rated yet and then off into town. Marvellous! Anyway this is a little off topic, sorry!

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 04:15 Thu 5/31/2012

Originally posted by Fin

Have to say I am writing this from a campsite in Innsbruck, Austria with the most stunning mountain views.

You have mail. Oh and it was showery in Salzburg virtually all the time.

Fin
beers 17274 º places 1653 º 11:44 Thu 5/31/2012

Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by Fin

Have to say I am writing this from a campsite in Innsbruck, Austria with the most stunning mountain views.

You have mail. Oh and it was showery in Salzburg virtually all the time.

Thanks for the mail. Btw the anticipated thundery showers predicted for Innsbruck never showed up today, instead plenty of sunshine, marvellous!