Great Taste of the Midwest 2013 Thread

Reads 18301 • Replies 296 • Started Sunday, May 5, 2013 10:49:10 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 11:31 Fri 7/19/2013

SO MAD I CAN’T GO THIS YEAR

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 11:37 Fri 7/19/2013

This is the park that GTMW is at. If you zoom in, it’s actually an overhead of GTMW. pretty coole.

Brigadier
beers 4930 º places 334 º 12:00 Fri 7/19/2013

Originally posted by csteele2144
Still looking for one more ticket, Bacterial hooked me up with the first one. If I’m unsuccessful, how hard is it to get a ticket the day of in Madison?

If you get there by 9:00 AM you might have luck walking up and down the line. I’ve also seen people trying to sell some on Friday night but they do tend to try to get more than $50.

csteele2144
beers 125 º places 11 º 12:06 Fri 7/19/2013

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by TheAlum
Still looking for one more ticket, Bacterial hooked me up with the first one. If I’m unsuccessful, how hard is it to get a ticket the day of in Madison?

I’ve heard it’s pretty easy if you get there early.

That said, I’ve never done it or had to depend on such a process. So, take what I say with a grain of salt.

Oddly enough, and knock on wood, this is one event that I’ve never really heard of anyone overpaying. But I could be completely wrong.

Unless you look at ebay....

cbfobes
beers 2938 º places 29 º 12:33 Fri 7/19/2013

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by TheAlum

I’ve heard it’s pretty easy if you get there early.

That said, I’ve never done it or had to depend on such a process. So, take what I say with a grain of salt.

Oddly enough, and knock on wood, this is one event that I’ve never really heard of anyone overpaying. But I could be completely wrong.

Unless you look at ebay....

I dumped an extra ticket right at the gate for face value right when we were walking in last year. My father-in-law never sold his extra so we were just looking to get his money back for the one ticket. There’s usually plenty of folks standing around selling tickets, some right at $50, others are trying to make a buck and try to sell them for $75.

cbfobes
beers 2938 º places 29 º 04:31 Fri 7/26/2013

Facebook page for the GTMW has been dropping a few hints now and then of what some brewers are bringing, barrel aged Abraxas was mentioned last night.

madvike
beers 3357 º places 3 º 08:37 Fri 7/26/2013

Originally posted by cbfobes
Facebook page for the GTMW has been dropping a few hints now and then of what some brewers are bringing, barrel aged Abraxas was mentioned last night.

I imagine the line for this and the line for Toppling Goliath Kentucky Brunch (if they bring it) will be two of the biggest lines of the fest.

cbfobes
beers 2938 º places 29 º 08:51 Fri 7/26/2013

Originally posted by madvike

I imagine the line for this and the line for Toppling Goliath Kentucky Brunch (if they bring it) will be two of the biggest lines of the fest.

You’re probably right. The last 2 years it seems like I stood in line more than drinking beers. Not making that mistake this year.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 08:55 Fri 7/26/2013

Really? I’m still kicking myself for scrolling past Toppling Goliath twice last year (Advocated too hard in Madison on Thursday night to make it to the bar doing the event and then I didnt feel like searching for it during the fest). Was hoping that all the beer bros will be too busy with FFF and Goose to care about an Iowa brewery.

madvike
beers 3357 º places 3 º 09:18 Fri 7/26/2013

Originally posted by t0rin0

Really? I’m still kicking myself for scrolling past Toppling Goliath twice last year (Advocated too hard in Madison on Thursday night to make it to the bar doing the event and then I didnt feel like searching for it during the fest). Was hoping that all the beer bros will be too busy with FFF and Goose to care about an Iowa brewery.

Definitely exaggerating a bit, but the BA trade threads are riddled with requests for both of these beers. Toppling Goliath has blown up in beer nerd popularity in the last year and Perennial had some pretty long lines last year (which caught me off guard). I expect a shitshow, and will be pleasantly surprised if there isn’t one.

Either way, that’s the beauty of GTMW--if you don’t like lines, you can just hit up other awesome under-the-radar brewers that have no lines.