OK, now I’m pissed.

Reads 14904 • Replies 123 • Started Monday, August 27, 2012 6:58:21 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

paytoplay
beers 146 º places 10 º 18:16 Wed 8/29/2012

2010 last night was flat and ok. Over priced.

ksurkin
beers 1021 º places 13 º 18:27 Wed 8/29/2012

i don’t normally chime in on these things anymore but the hatred seems a bit strong. i’ve personally never had a flat beer from Lost Abbey. including Angel’s Share. i’ve flown across the country to SD twice and my first stop has always been the LA tasting room. Tomme has personally given me a tour of the barrel rooms. Sage pulled a bottle of Veritas 004 out of the private stock for me to share with Peter (peteinsd). i’ve enjoyed the hell out of every single bottle i’ve ever opened from LA. are they expensive, yes. but a great deal of us payed $30/baller to 3F for "Baller Stout". come on guys. we all love this hobby/obsession we call craft beer. LA was a pioneer of this whole thing. without them, you think we’d have all the barrel aging we all love? who knows but i doubt it. yeah, they’ve had their issues. but what brewery hasn’t? there really is no need for the hate and name calling.

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 19:06 Wed 8/29/2012

Originally posted by TooManyBeers
I open up this years Lost Abbey Angels Share bourbon barrel aged beer for the 3rd time and it’s dead flat. Previously had a couple with no issues. So what the hell, I open another bottle and it’s only slightly carbonated. Oh, FYI I also opened a 2009 bottle (the time before this years) and it was dead flat (what a shocker).

@$17/375ml bottle I’m done with the drain pours. Hell, I’m an expert exotic beer drain pour’er if you will. I plan on calling them tomorrow to see what is what, and if they’re willing to compensate me at all. I doubt it, and then I will tell them where they can stick it.
So tonight I pulled a bottle of 2011 Great Divide Belgian Style Yeti to make me feel better, and guess what? The carbonation is perfect and this beer rocks!

Rant over
Sorry, but I can’t seem to find the "point" in all this. Some of us actually prefer uncarbonated stronger beers and sometimes carbonating bottled beers can be a difficult thing to do, especially if it’s of a higher gravity reading.

I dislike most of I’ve had from Odell, but that won’t stop me from trying their products if someone else is buying.

TooManyBeers
beers 2 º 20:04 Wed 8/29/2012

Originally posted by radarsock
I open up this years Lost Abbey Angels Share bourbon barrel aged beer for the 3rd time and it’s dead flat. Previously had a couple with no issues. So what the hell, I open another bottle and it’s only slightly carbonated. Oh, FYI I also opened a 2009 bottle (the time before this years) and it was dead flat (what a shocker).

@$17/375ml bottle I’m done with the drain pours. Hell, I’m an expert exotic beer drain pour’er if you will. I plan on calling them tomorrow to see what is what, and if they’re willing to compensate me at all. I doubt it, and then I will tell them where they can stick it.
So tonight I pulled a bottle of 2011 Great Divide Belgian Style Yeti to make me feel better, and guess what? The carbonation is perfect and this beer rocks!

Rant over
Sorry, but I can’t seem to find the "point" in all this. Some of us actually prefer uncarbonated stronger beers and sometimes carbonating bottled beers can be a difficult thing to do, especially if it’s of a higher gravity reading.

I dislike most of I’ve had from Odell, but that won’t stop me from trying their products if someone else is buying.

Then you should be happy about beers without ANY carbonation. At $17/375ml bottle carbonation shouldn’t be a HARD thing to do.

It appears you’re one of the reasons they still sell Angel’s Share.

arrogantb
beers 1402 º 20:33 Wed 8/29/2012

Originally posted by SudsMcDuff
tomme is such a bitch

cbkschubert
beers 2901 º places 44 º 20:40 Wed 8/29/2012

At least their Port Brewing offerings are good. I don’t buy LA stuff unless someone wants it for a trade. I still got a 2007 AS somewhere in my closet. Wonder if it’s any good?

TooManyBeers
beers 2 º 21:07 Wed 8/29/2012

Yeah Port Brewing has been fine for me. "Lost Sales" not so much. I wouldn’t wait any longer on your 07’ but not sure why you waited this long regardless.

CLevar
places 23 º 21:11 Wed 8/29/2012

Originally posted by radarsock
sometimes carbonating bottled beers can be a difficult thing to do, especially if it’s of a higher gravity reading.

Wait, you mean that brewing beer is hard!?! Ye gods, what is this!?!

Seriously though, that’s a pretty lame excuse for a brewery. I might be able to get away with it once as a homebrewer, but that’s something that should get sorted out....

BigTomZ
beers 12 º 21:12 Wed 8/29/2012

Originally posted by SudsMcDuff
tomme is such a bitch

Not sure I’d go that far, but based on his responses to the complaints about flat Angels Share, he certainly does seem to be one arrogant dude.

cbkschubert
beers 2901 º places 44 º 21:36 Wed 8/29/2012

I wouldn’t wait any longer on your 07’ but not sure why you waited this long regardless.

I bought 3 or 4 of them when they were first released. I opened one a year or so ago and it was an infected bomb. I’m pretty sure the last one I have is infected. Awhile back TBC said he was interested in it for a class he teaches. Guess I should send it to him.

I really like Serpents Stout and Devotion, but they don’t show up much around here anymore. The special releases are way too expensive. I’m not as tight as Charm City, but I expect a good value for the beer I buy.

(No offense Charm City)