Please review my Bells Expedition Stout Clone Rec.

Reads 6553 • Replies 30 • Started Thursday, February 23, 2006 7:58:18 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 17:10 Thu 2/23/2006

Originally posted by csbosox
I am kicking aound WLP001 Cali Ale, WLP007 Dry English Ale, WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale, maybe Wy1056 American Ale. Any suggestions?

Can’t go wrong with the Wyeast American Ale, I would avoid the White Labs 028 Scottish Ale. Still the WLP007 Dry English Ale would be best I think for a Expedition Clone IMO.

SaveTheAles
beers 5 º 18:02 Thu 2/23/2006

Originally posted by csbosox
I upped the grains because I am steeping them instead of mashing, do you think I can scale it back to what the original recipe has? The IPA is a 1.080->1.022 so far, so my yeasties probably won’t work too well, would they? If not I will certainly pick out a different yeast, something with a little better attenuation. Thanks for all the input.

I think you’d be better off using the original recipe amounts for steeping in this extract version. The steeping grains are mostly providing flavor and color while the extract is providing the vast majority of your fermentables. I would not reuse yeast from a 1.080 IPA in this beer.

IndianaRed
beers 8572 º places 16 º 19:20 Thu 2/23/2006

could I get a little more detail on what a "yeastcake" is? Sounds like the remainings from a previous batch.
For someone who doesnt have much HB history and thus no "leftover" yeast, would a decent starter be almost as effective. Esp. if I wouldn’t loose any sleep about getting only 55% from a High Grav recipe like the ones listed above.
Mmmmm.. this thread gives me a home brew "woody"

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 19:48 Thu 2/23/2006

Originally posted by Indiana_Red
could I get a little more detail on what a "yeastcake" is? Sounds like the remainings from a previous batch.

Yes.
For someone who doesnt have much HB history and thus no "leftover" yeast, would a decent starter be almost as effective.

Absolutely not. Sorry. There is probably 100 times the yeast in a cake than there could ever be in a starter.

SaveTheAles
beers 5 º 19:55 Thu 2/23/2006

For someone who doesnt have much HB history and thus no "leftover" yeast, would a decent starter be almost as effective. Esp. if I wouldn’t loose any sleep about getting only 55% from a High Grav recipe like the ones listed above.
Mmmmm.. this thread gives me a home brew "woody"

Yep. Yeastcake = yeast slurry left over from a previous batch. You’d need the ability to make a huge starter to equal a yeastcake. With such a high gravity beer, the amount and health of the yeast pitched is critical. If making a starter, I’d suggest a volume of 4.5L. The easier way would be to pitch three 11.5g packs of US-56 dry yeast. If you like the WLP001 CA Ale strain, this is the same strain.

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 19:55 Thu 2/23/2006

The roasted barley doesn’t worry me at all. The black Patent does. And I really don’t see why anyone adds Cara-Pils to beers this big. The beer will plenty big without them.

Aging is the key here. At least 6 months before you even try it if not a lot longer.

I would also recommend adding some Nottingham about 4 days into primary fermentation. The Irish Ale yeast might knock it down to size, then again, it might not. You certainly don’t want it finishing out at 1.040 with only 9.4% abv.

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 15:33 Fri 2/24/2006

Originally posted by SaveTheAles
The easier way would be to pitch three 11.5g packs of US-56 dry yeast. If you like the WLP001 CA Ale strain, this is the same strain.

This sounds like a great idea. I might even take a step further and make a 1/2 gallon starter from the packets too. Man, next time I don’t have an appropriate yeast cake on hand, I’ll try this.

IndianaRed
beers 8572 º places 16 º 15:51 Fri 2/24/2006

Judging from the last few posts on this thread, there are apparently multiple varieties of yeast that are very similar. Even when "cloning" a comercial product. I was under the impression that using an "incorrect" yeast strain would/could throw you way off.
I guess there is some lee-way there.

barleyPops
beers 1142 º places 65 º 15:54 Fri 2/24/2006

Originally posted by erway
Originally posted by SaveTheAles
The easier way would be to pitch three 11.5g packs of US-56 dry yeast. If you like the WLP001 CA Ale strain, this is the same strain.

This sounds like a great idea. I might even take a step further and make a 1/2 gallon starter from the packets too. Man, next time I don’t have an appropriate yeast cake on hand, I’ll try this.

Please define "appropriate yeast cake"? Do you use the entire slurry from the bottom of the fermenter? Also, what about proper storage from one batch to the next, does the yeast cake need to be used within a matter of days or can it be refrigerated and used weeks later?

IndianaRed
beers 8572 º places 16 º 16:06 Fri 2/24/2006

yeah.
What he said.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer