Please review my Bells Expedition Stout Clone Rec.

Reads 6552 • Replies 30 • Started Thursday, February 23, 2006 7:58:18 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 22:10 Fri 2/24/2006

Originally posted by Duane
Originally posted by erway
Originally posted by SaveTheAles
The easier way would be to pitch three 11.5g packs of US-56 dry yeast. If you like the WLP001 CA Ale strain, this is the same strain.

This sounds like a great idea. I might even take a step further and make a 1/2 gallon starter from the packets too. Man, next time I don’t have an appropriate yeast cake on hand, I’ll try this.

Please define "appropriate yeast cake"? Do you use the entire slurry from the bottom of the fermenter? Also, what about proper storage from one batch to the next, does the yeast cake need to be used within a matter of days or can it be refrigerated and used weeks later?

Yes, use the whole thing. Yes you can refrigerate the slurry, but the longer it sits the less viable it is.

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 22:11 Fri 2/24/2006

Originally posted by Indiana_Red
Judging from the last few posts on this thread, there are apparently multiple varieties of yeast that are very similar. Even when "cloning" a comercial product. I was under the impression that using an "incorrect" yeast strain would/could throw you way off.
I guess there is some lee-way there.

1056=US-56=Chico Ale yeast=WLP001. They are all the same strain.

csbosox
beers 1229 º places 13 º 22:22 Fri 2/24/2006

The zymurgy article said it didn’t really matter what yeast you used (within reason) so I am not going to sweat it too much. I would not use the Irish Ale yeast, if I had my druthers, but that fatty yeast cake is too much to pass up.

bigbish
beers 760 º places 10 º 09:38 Sat 2/25/2006

Could someone link me to this article about brewing bells beer? Having grown up in the Kalamazoo area, Bells is probably the thing I miss most living out here in NM. There’s just no substitute out here for Expedition Stout, Third Coast Old Ale, or Two Hearted.

On a related note, is there a way to order beer over the internet?
Just a thought...

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 09:43 Sat 2/25/2006

Originally posted by big_bish
Could someone link me to this article about brewing bells beer? Having grown up in the Kalamazoo area, Bells is probably the thing I miss most living out here in NM. There’s just no substitute out here for Expedition Stout, Third Coast Old Ale, or Two Hearted.

On a related note, is there a way to order beer over the internet?
Just a thought...

Try the Old Stock Ale. I love that stuff!

Nope, no shipping to NM through any retailers. I would try my hand at trading if I were you.

SaveTheAles
beers 5 º 10:19 Sat 2/25/2006

Originally posted by big_bish
Could someone link me to this article about brewing bells beer?

The July/August Zymurgy 2003 contained 11 Bell’s recipes, including Third Coast and Two-Hearted. It was actually packed with recipes for other breweries too: SNPA, Celebration, Anchor Steam/Liberty/Porter/Foghorn, Duvel, Arrogant Bastard, Victory Hop Devil, Alaskan Smoked Porter, Ommegang Abbey, and a couple others. I’d try to find or order that issue from somewhere.

IndianaRed
beers 8572 º places 16 º 17:43 Sat 2/25/2006

Originally posted by SaveTheAles
...If making a starter, I’d suggest a volume of 4.5L. The easier way would be to pitch three 11.5g packs of US-56 dry yeast. If you like the WLP001 CA Ale strain, this is the same strain.

Intereting. Does this mean using the dry yeast method for the starter....or do you mean pitching the dry yeast to the wort as opposed to using a starter at all.

SaveTheAles
beers 5 º 20:12 Sat 2/25/2006

Originally posted by Indiana_Red
Intereting. Does this mean using the dry yeast method for the starter....or do you mean pitching the dry yeast to the wort as opposed to using a starter at all.

I think it’s unnecessary to make a starter when you pitch the appropriate amount of dry yeast, and it can actually be detrimental to do so. Assuming about 20 billion cells per gram for dry yeast, which is the generally accepted count, 2 pkg.’s of 11.5 gram dry yeast would contain about 460 billion cells. For a 1.110 OG beer, you probably want a bit more, so three packs would be more than needed, but it’s better to err on the side of too much yeast.

Here’s some info. on yeast and a handy pitching rate calculator:

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php

IndianaRed
beers 8572 º places 16 º 02:35 Sat 3/11/2006

I’ll be brewing this using SpringsLickers recipe mentioned earlier.
We’ll see.

IndianaRed
beers 8572 º places 16 º 00:20 Wed 3/15/2006

Originally posted by SpringsLicker
This one was published in Zymurgy July/August 2003 (reprints available) from the article Brew the Best Beers in America. I haven’t brewed this one, but I have brewed the Double Cream stout and the Two Hearted Clone from the same article. The Double Cream stout was almost dead on in a side by side (I used a different yeast than the one recommended)

23 lb pale 2-row
1 lb flaked barley
1.5 lb roasted barley
1 lb black patent
1 lb 80 L crystal
.5 lb chocolate malt
3.3 lb amber malt extract
2.5 oz Centennial 10% 45 min
1.5 oz Centennial 10% 30 min
.5 oz Centennial 10% 0 min

mash at 150-152

Collect as much wort as practical and reduce by boiling to 5.5 gallons
Add extract at the beginning of the boil.

Ferment on a good yeast cake of any standard American or English ale strain.

Did this list expected gravity numbers as well.
I started mine at 1.145 OG

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer