Prices are out of control

Reads 2893 • Replies 31 • Started Sunday, November 29, 2015 2:17:45 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

VertBaconStrips
beers 2445 º places 4 º 02:17 Sun 11/29/2015

28$ (or was it 26?) for a 6er of Sculpin. 22+ for 6ers of Sierra Nevada. 12$+ bottles of IPA. 145$ for the advent calendar. Who the fuck is buying this? I just stocked my fridge with Fat Tugs. The ability to enjoy a widely affordable selection of beer here in Alberta is and has been done for a long time. I do not consider a 650ml bottle of almost anything that costs over 8$ - yes, 8 bux - eight dollars for the privilege of drinking a beer - a worthy investment of my money. A good half of these are average craft beer. This is pretty much insane and a complete mismanagement of finances. I love the fact that we get so many beers to chose from but at what cost? If I get a bottle of whatever and it’s sub par of even average I know 100% that I just threw my money away. The system is absolutely unrealistic and will never correct itself. I actually do not have a problem with the bottom falling out of this industry and watching all these 20$ bottles simply rot on the shelves.

fiulijn
beers 28373 º places 745 º 03:06 Sun 11/29/2015

Yes, it’s crazy.
And month after month we got used to pay 8-10$ for any beer from the local "good breweries" , and we don’t get impressed too much for the 10-12$...

The hunter in me still buys some random bottle, but the drinker in me buys mostly Parallel 49 (Toques of Hazzard and 1-8-7, 6$ for strong juicy beer!), and I was lucky enough to find the Twenty Pounder at the government stores during the summer.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 07:08 Sun 11/29/2015

Originally posted by VertBaconStrips
28$ (or was it 26?) for a 6er of Sculpin. 22+ for 6ers of Sierra Nevada. 12$+ bottles of IPA. 145$ for the advent calendar. Who the fuck is buying this? I just stocked my fridge with Fat Tugs. The ability to enjoy a widely affordable selection of beer here in Alberta is and has been done for a long time. I do not consider a 650ml bottle of almost anything that costs over 8$ - yes, 8 bux - eight dollars for the privilege of drinking a beer - a worthy investment of my money. A good half of these are average craft beer. This is pretty much insane and a complete mismanagement of finances. I love the fact that we get so many beers to chose from but at what cost? If I get a bottle of whatever and it’s sub par of even average I know 100% that I just threw my money away. The system is absolutely unrealistic and will never correct itself. I actually do not have a problem with the bottom falling out of this industry and watching all these 20$ bottles simply rot on the shelves.

What do you mean " The system is absolutely unrealistic and will never correct itself." ? What system? If this "system" could correct itself, how should it do that? Also, what industry? The beer industry? Should everyone stop drinking beer? Seems unlikely as humans have been enjoying beer for three thousand years and I doubt they are going to stop anytime soon. Some beer is more expensive and some beer is cheaper. If expensive beer is out of people’s budget, then they should just drink beer within their budget.

Still the prices you mentioned pale in comparison to BCS Rare, at $60 for a 500ml bottle (I believe that is the size). Rare is a misnommer with apparently 18,000 bottles made and its already on the secondary market for much higher. That beer is definitely out of my budget and I wonder how good it really is compared to other BA Impys.

Tim

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 11:51 Sun 11/29/2015

Few bottles are of value. I’ve seriously cut back on my buying as what’s the use of chasing average beers for an inflated price?

Crit
beers 5022 º places 159 º 12:25 Sun 11/29/2015

I have cut back as well, but obviously things are selling. If everyone cut back maybe that would send a message

fiulijn
beers 28373 º places 745 º 16:02 Sun 11/29/2015

There is a lot of beer rotting on the shelves.
These are timid messages that sometimes people are not too dumb.

Now some Le Trou du Diable is around 10$ for 60cl, but at Legacy I saw still a couple of (different) bottles at 30$ for 75cl. They have been there for a long time.

As consumers, we don’t easily realize that some of the expensive imports have been imported 3 years ago and that’s what we are still getting on the shelf.

I still see around Double IPAs that are one year old and the shop doesn’t think to mark them down.
Actually, can they legally sell below cost?

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 17:40 Sun 11/29/2015

Originally posted by fiulijn

Now some Le Trou du Diable is around 10$ for 60cl, but at Legacy I saw still a couple of (different) bottles at 30$ for 75cl. They have been there for a long time.

As consumers, we don’t easily realize that some of the expensive imports have been imported 3 years ago and that’s what we are still getting on the shelf.

I still see around Double IPAs that are one year old and the shop doesn’t think to mark them down.

I wonder if breweries and/or importers should get involved if the beer has been on the shelf too long. Clearly it reflects poorly on a brewery if their product tastes bad. If an IPA has sat on a shelf for one year, who really in their right mind wants to drink that? Someone should suffer with a loss (unfortunately).

Even if stores can’t legally sell below cost (for whatever reason), certainly advertising Craft Beer Sale, and sell at cost would attract some consumers.

Tim

fiulijn
beers 28373 º places 745 º 02:44 Mon 11/30/2015

Originally posted by TimE
Originally posted by fiulijn

I wonder if breweries and/or importers should get involved if the beer has been on the shelf too long. Clearly it reflects poorly on a brewery if their product tastes bad. If an IPA has sat on a shelf for one year, who really in their right mind wants to drink that? Someone should suffer with a loss (unfortunately).

Even if stores can’t legally sell below cost (for whatever reason), certainly advertising Craft Beer Sale, and sell at cost would attract some consumers.

Tim

You will see by yourself in a month; the market is so "hot" in Vancouver that breweries sell, no matter how boring or bad the beers are.
Which means, the majority of consumers don’t understand what they are buying.

Same for shops somehow.

It’s not a competition market.
It’s a presence market.

Unfortunately here (and also in the US West Coast) the common practice is to not tag bottles with a date.
How are you supposed to know that the beer is old, unless you are really into it, and you know that the IPA has been brewed only once and therefore is 1 year old?

Things move backwards here.
The government stores changed from "price including tax" to "price before tax", back in April.
Driftwood was tagging the caps with a date; AFAIK some time ago they stopped.
This beer hasn’t been brewed for 2 or even 3 years:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/granville-island-imperial-ipa/140970/
yet "Value On Liquor Store" in Vancouver has it on the shelf, and you see that a bruh rated it this year, 2 years after the previous last rating, he must have found it on a shelf in Alberta and didn’t know it was so old.

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 12:46 Mon 11/30/2015

The prices on imports skyrocketed literally overnight with the change in tax laws under our NDP government. The change heavily favours beers made in BC, AB, and SK, but heavily taxes beers from anywhere else. The beer makers and beer sellers are not to blame for this change, however even prior to this tax hike I have found things to be trending toward higher prices. I suspect that our insanely awesome selection in Alberta will suffer greatly. The shelves will look quite different a year from now. On the plus side, it is a better tax environment for our local little guys.

fiulijn
beers 28373 º places 745 º 17:13 Mon 11/30/2015

Originally posted by DuffMan
[...] The beer makers and beer sellers are not to blame for this change [...]

Just a comment on this point.
We can’t avoid tax. But I think that earning money by putting a markup on the tax (I’m referring also to Hoser’s other thread) is kind of ugly.

Crit
beers 5022 º places 159 º 17:31 Mon 11/30/2015

Hard to tell if a beer is old unless it is dusty, but sometimes you can tell by the Ullage if it is extreme