RateBeer Summer Gathering 2014: Proposals and Voting

Reads 8607 • Replies 100 • Started Monday, March 31, 2014 6:47:29 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

phaleslu
admin
beers 16534 º places 792 º 12:20 Mon 3/31/2014

We know the STL dates offer a shorter turnaround (a little under 3 months from now), but it was the only weekend we could get all STL brewers on board, given the number of other events they’re committed to this summer. So we had to make the tough choice to hold it June 19-22 because it offered a chance at a more complete event. Plus, the summer can be rougher in STL in July and August.

sthlm
beers 790 º places 147 º 12:51 Mon 3/31/2014

Originally posted by phaleslu
There are no local penalties being applied. Same rules as with RBWG voting back in late October/early November.

Well, then I don’t understand the purpose of requiring members to include their zip code, but either way, I voted.

sthlm
beers 790 º places 147 º 13:10 Mon 3/31/2014

Originally posted by NielsenRatings
Originally posted by sthlm
There are no local penalties being applied. Same rules as with RBWG voting back in late October/early November.

Well, then I don’t understand the purpose of requiring members to include their zip code, but either way, I voted.

I’m sorry to derail, but I think it’s worth asking what’s with your constant hostility in these gathering threads? It seems to me to reflect poorly to have an admin constantly degrading the process.

No hostility, just looking for clarity and transparency.

blomster
beers 294 º places 7 º 13:16 Mon 3/31/2014

May be able to attend if it ends up being in St Louis in June

phaleslu
admin
beers 16534 º places 792 º 13:21 Mon 3/31/2014

It seems to me the precautions have all been taken to make sure there is full transparency in the voting process. I know it will be tracked by the admins throughout the week. There really was no process for proposals and voting before, which made it vulnerable to people taking advantage. The zip codes also offer data in terms of who’s voting for which place; there’s no local factor taken at this point but they keep track of this information, anyway.

The same rules were used for RBWG voting in the fall and there was minimal pushback then, nor any attempt at constructive alternatives to the voting rules. So it’s a bummer to see it showing up now, if some of these issues could have been hashed out over the past five months.

Plus, speaking for STL (though I’m sure Seattle’s organizers feel the same way), we put a ton of work into these proposals and would rather answer proposal-specific questions than see challenges to the voting process itself, which is now a moot point. We’re aiming for positivity, as both candidate sites would put on an awesome event for this community.

Prufrockstar
beers 2132 º places 83 º 13:29 Mon 3/31/2014

Plus, speaking for STL (though I’m sure Seattle’s organizers feel the same way), we put a ton of work into these proposals and would rather answer proposal-specific questions than see challenges to the voting process itself, which is now a moot point. We’re aiming for positivity, as both candidate sites would put on an awesome event for this community.

Seconded.

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 13:58 Mon 3/31/2014

Originally posted by blomster
May be able to attend if it ends up being in St Louis in June
Two major gatherings in a row for blomster, good deal!

Strykzone
beers 8457 º places 152 º 14:58 Mon 3/31/2014

I want to attend BOTH of these! But Keir, Will, and Peter, that proposal is a "WOW!"

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 15:06 Mon 3/31/2014

I have a family wedding the weekend of STL and Seattle would be expensive for me. Hopefully I can make it but it seems unlikely. Was hoping the Iowa proposal would come through

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 15:11 Mon 3/31/2014

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
I have a family wedding the weekend of STL and Seattle would be expensive for me. Hopefully I can make it but it seems unlikely. Was hoping the Iowa proposal would come through

The 5 hour walk to the grand tasting and cat show (6 award winning cats) proved to be too awesome