Short’s Brewing sells 20% to Heineken/Lagunita’s

Reads 4351 • Replies 69 • Started Wednesday, July 26, 2017 10:45:41 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 10:45 Wed 7/26/2017

Sad day for Michigan beer....although we all saw it coming: http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/07/shorts_brewing_announces_partn.html

b3shine
beers 12189 º places 372 º 10:54 Wed 7/26/2017

No surprises here. Joe also said he’d never distribute outside of Michigan, but that proved to be false as well. Money talks, and apparently you can never have enough of it. Oh well; at least he didn’t sell the minority stake to AB-InBev.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 11:04 Wed 7/26/2017

Bravo to them! A healthy forest includes many sizes and scales of life, big and small.

Consumer choice in Michigan is better than it has ever been in the state’s history and Short’s may soon be available to a broader market.

The myth of limiting consumer choice is primarily propagated by large, national or international craft breweries who are operating extra-regionally. These brewers are perceived in new markets as big and invasive, so they’re using attacks on big beer to improve consumer association of their brand with small craft and change their brand perception from large, invasive, and non-local. These stories aren’t coming from breweries that have won capital and distribution backing through relationships with larger beer companies.

Most small brewers are aware of the pervasiveness of the fear myth. Most of their competition for resources, shelf space and tap handles comes from other small brands and from larger international craft brands. Most educated consumers also know this, but the disinformation campaign is coming from a few powerful sources including trade groups that draw support from large craft. If this myth were true, and big beer has great power to limit consumer choice, why would we now be in the height of the golden age of craft beer?

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 11:28 Wed 7/26/2017

Company mergers allow big business to control more of the market. It’s not a myth. It’s economics.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/opinion/sunday/how-mergers-damage-the-economy.html

I won’t get into the morality of it all, but I don’t see how this benefits "craft beer". It seems counterintuitive.

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 11:32 Wed 7/26/2017

I think a lot of the local backlash will come from the ethos of Short’s Brewing only 2 years ago, "Michigan Only, Michigan Forever".

They expanded production and did not hit their numbers. Large in part to the wide-range of choices on the shelf here in Michigan. So, to help cover that expansion cost, they expanded distribution.

People were already upset that they got the cart in front of the horse, so to speak...and had to move to regional distribution.

This rumor was pretty hot and heavy this Spring, and something that Joe (for legal reasons, I’m sure) had to deny at their Anniversary Party back in April.

So, while it’s not a surprise to anybody that has followed Short’s in the past 2 years, it was sad to see their ethos go out the window.

hawthorne00
beers 8472 º places 63 º 11:36 Wed 7/26/2017

You looken sharpen todayen, mein herr.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 11:37 Wed 7/26/2017

Originally posted by Clownoisseur
Company mergers allow big business to control more of the market. It’s not a myth. It’s economics.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/opinion/sunday/how-mergers-damage-the-economy.html

I won’t get into the morality of it all, but I don’t see how this benefits "craft beer". It seems counterintuitive.

I’m not saying that mergers don’t have a market effect, but the idea that the market effect is very significant or dominant in terms of either consumer choice or the hierarchy of business challenges to small craft is verifiably false. Maybe this kind of now quixotic campaign made sense in 1998 or 2002 but it’s very obviously not true now.

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 11:41 Wed 7/26/2017

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by Clownoisseur

I’m not saying that mergers don’t have a market effect, but the idea that the market effect is very significant or dominant in terms of either consumer choice or the hierarchy of business challenges to small craft is verifiably false. Maybe this kind of now quixotic campaign made sense in 1998 or 2002 but it’s very obviously not true now.

I would love to see the numbers that back that up.

Personally, it feels too early to really see what the overall market effect will be. As we enter the "Golden Age" of craft beer, big business will slowly, but surely, sink their claws into this market over time.

And, over time the number of mergers/buyouts will increase.

Is the brewer’s intent really to get his beer to as many people as possible without compromising quality? I am failing to see this as a viable reason for selling out, but it sure sounds good in a press release.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 11:44 Wed 7/26/2017

Everyone knows 20% is a minority share, right? In any event, i am not aware of Heineken engaging in unethical and possibly illegal practices like Budweiser, targeted against craft beer, and I am confident in saying the majority of beer drinkers consider Heineken a premium brand.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 11:58 Wed 7/26/2017

I’m curious why this is being positioned this way.

Heineken Owns Lagunitas...100%, right?

Lagunitas is buying 20% of Short’s Brewing.

So a subsidiary of Heineken owns some of short’s but not heinekn? Is this just a PR thing "craft beer buys craft beer" or is it some tax / antitrust thing to have a subsidiary invest instead of the multinational?

I"m just curious why it was done this way and not just Heineken investing.

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 12:10 Wed 7/26/2017

Heineken bought the remaining stake this past Spring, so that "Lagunitas IPA can become the Heineken of craft"

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/business/6958589-181/heineken-buys-the-remaining-50?artslide=0